Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Does this mean anything to anyone?

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Do you have a translation question?

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 3:55 am

I was watching one of the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children trailers at IGN.com (the older trailer http://media.psp.ign.com/media/608/608155/vids_1.html) and was trying to write down what クラウド was saying.

At one point he said something like:

Ore ni ha daremo tasukerenai tou monde ha.
Kazoku darou na, nakama darou na... daremo.

This is the best transcription I could devise, given my resources:

俺には誰もを助けれないと揉んでは.
家族だろうな, 仲間だろうな... 誰も

I have basically just started learning Japanese, so I have no idea as to the nature of this sentence, or even whether it is anywhere close to being correct. Could one of you please translate this for me; write what he has actually said, if this is not correct, having watched the trailer for yourself; or, at the very least, tell me that this is way off.

Thank you.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Fri 07.15.2005 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

RE: Does this mean anything to anyone?

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 4:48 am

Here is a link to a sound file, highlighting the portion in question:

http://advltermevs.tripod.com/FFVIIcut.wav

( right-click and then click 'save target as' )
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.13.2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 7:28 am

Cloud says:

俺には誰も助けられないと思うんだ、家族だろうが仲間だろうが誰も。

I can't help anyone...not my family, nor my friends.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 7:34 am

Thank you very much. Surprisingly, I wasn't that far off with my edited version - considering my acute lack of adroitness with this language and apropos the fact that I haven't really studied it at all. I am somewhat pleased with myself. However, I am far more pleased with you. Thanks again.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.13.2005 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 8:06 am

Your transcription is starting to make sense to me, but I still have a few questions:

What's with the に? Why doesn't he just say "俺は"? I don't understand the usage of that postposition at all. Is it that "に" is marking the personal agent and that "誰も" is the subject of a passive verb? If that is so, then why isn't "誰も" followed by a "が" subject marker?

This first part, "俺には誰も助けられないと思んだ," seems to say, "I didn't think anyone could be helped" - if my translation efforts are correct. Why would he say, "思んだ," when he could say "思う" - as "思う" is in the present tense?

Why are 家族 and 仲間 affixed with the enclitic, "だろう"? Doesn't that mean "seems" or "I guess" or something of that nature?

Finally, why is the ultimate protracted "誰も" not followed by a "が" when the other subjects, with which "daremo" is sort of in apposition, are (i.e. 家族だろう, and 仲間だろう)?

Thanks again.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 11:03 am

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
What's with the に? Why doesn't he just say "俺は"? I don't understand the usage of that postposition at all. Is it that "に" is marking the personal agent and that "誰も" is the subject of a passive verb? If that is so, then why isn't "誰も" followed by a "が" subject marker?

Correct, its passive and に is for the personal agent. When the verb is negated you use 誰も instead of 誰が.

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
This first part, "俺には誰も助けられないと思んだ," seems to say, "I didn't think anyone could be helped" - if my translation efforts are correct. Why would he say, "思んだ," when he could say "思う" - as "思う" is in the present tense?

思うんだ is in the present form. だ is the short version of です. だった would be the past tense form.

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Why are 家族 and 仲間 affixed with the enclitic, "だろう"? Doesn't that mean "seems" or "I guess" or something of that nature?

だろう is just a casual version of です. Therefore, he is just listing off others who he can't protect.

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Finally, why is the ultimate protracted "誰も" not followed by a "が" when the other subjects, with which "daremo" is sort of in apposition, are (i.e. 家族だろう, and 仲間だろう)?

I believe these がs are being used to show pause at the end of each part of the sentence. Not sure though.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 11:57 am

Once again, I thank you very much for your assistance.

At the risk of irritating you, I am going to ask you one more question:
The plain past tense of '思う' isn't '思った' ?
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.13.2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 12:35 pm

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Once again, I thank you very much for your assistance.

At the risk of irritating you, I am going to ask you one more question:
The plain past tense of '思う' isn't '思った' ?

You have it right. It's 思った.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 1:04 pm

Forgive me my stupidity. I misinterpreted one of your responses. These mistakes I'm making are too amateurish for even me, who am a complete neophyte when it comes to this language. I didn't sleep last night, so bear with me here - it's why I'm not making a lot of sense right now.

Why does he say 「思うんだ」 and not 「思う」 or 「思います」 or 「思っている」 or 「思っています」 ? (Though, he probably wouldn't use ます and 俺 in the same breath - as one is polite and the other rude and garish.)

I don't really understand why 「だ」 ( 「である」 ?) would be appended to 「思う」.
Isn't the verb sufficient in and of itself without the 「だ」 ?

Is it because the 「ん」 is explanatory and doesn't occur without a verb copula of some kind?
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 1:43 pm

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Why does he say 「思うんだ」 and not 「思う」 or 「思います」 or 「思っている」 or 「思っています」 ? (Though, he probably wouldn't use ます and 俺 in the same breath - as one is polite and the other rude and garish.)

I don't really understand why 「だ」 ( 「である」 ?) would be appended to 「思う」.
Isn't the verb sufficient in and of itself without the 「だ」 ?

Is it because the 「ん」 is explanatory and doesn't occur without a verb copula of some kind?

In this situation 俺 isn't rude, it's just casual. It can't be ます because he is talking casually. I don't know why its 思う and not the て form though. Can't answer ur last question either. Maybe someone else can help.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 1:52 pm

Well, thanks for all your help and patience.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion