Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - whats better American Cartoons or Anime?

whats better American Cartoons or Anime?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: whats better American Cartoons or Anime?

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 07.13.2005 11:01 am

Oh man, how could I forget Duck Tales? How about Rescue Rangers and Beavis and Butthead? Does anyone remember a cartoon by Thames about a spy mouse? What was the name of that? It was awesome! Whenever they show the Thames intro to Monty Python on the BBC, I always think about that cartoon since it had the same intro but I can't remember the name for the life of me. And as far as Manga vs. DC and Marvel Comics, give me Spidey, Wolverine, and the Dark Knight any day of the week.
Shibakoen

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 07.13.2005 12:00 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
Does anyone remember a cartoon by Thames about a spy mouse? What was the name of that? It was awesome!

Danger Mouse... and his sidekick Penfield i do believe.

and let's not forget Tail Spin.

but what i really remember (and would love to see again) are all of the old Shogun Warrior type things that used to be shown on Showtime way back in the early '80s.
zengargoyle

Postby Datadog » Wed 07.13.2005 11:40 pm

Gummi Bears? Wuzzles, anyone? Ring a bell?
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.
Datadog

Postby Nubius » Thu 07.14.2005 5:30 pm

Tail spin was aright, was right into that category that 'Doug' was in for me...was something to watch, but wasnt necessarily that great.

Cartoons like Family guy and American dad are my favorite american cartoons these days but that's about it...Simpsons has sucked for years...it used to be good, mid season being about the best, but like anything else they got way too played out.

Invader Zim was a good show :D
Nubius

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 07.16.2005 1:45 pm

Yes, Dangermouse!!! And you're right about Penfield, too. That series was awesome. That was my favorite from when I was a kid.

I agree the Simpsons is in decline, but peak Simpsons was just amazing. Family Guy is great just seeing how far they can go. The real surprise for me (and what I think is really underrated) is King of the Hill.
Shibakoen

Postby jaela » Sat 07.16.2005 7:00 pm

when you say american cartoons, that first that came to mind are DC and Marvel, so i would say i like my anime better than x-men and batman anyday. but when i'm not watching anime, which constitutes about 80% of my viewing time, aside from the movies, i also watch cartoons from nick and disney.

out of the non-anime shows that i watch, SPONGEBOB has to be the best. i like him, he's not complicated...

but, i still go for anime all the way ... :D
jaela

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 07.16.2005 7:01 pm

The Simpsons started in its decline about 4 years ago and has just gotten worse and worse. Its comedic style has either been purposefully dumbed down for the plebs - since it is now more of a mainstream show - or it has lost its edge because the writers no longer have a passion for it or have run out of ideas. It is a great shame; for The Simpsons had been a fantastic, moderately intellectually stimulating show. Family Guy, in my opinion, is now the greatest animated show on tv. King of the Hill blows with its understated social commentary of poor comedic sense. Futurama was a great show that was cancelled in favor of The then and now crappy Simpsons and King of the Hill. American Dad is a carbon copy - save for it being less funny - of Family Guy and sucks quite hard.

As for the original question posed by this thread: I can't really comment on Anime, as I haven't seen much. As for american cartoons, they, besides some of the aforementioned, have seriously gone to hell, with regards to quality. Although, I have taken a modest liking to Xiaolin Showdown and the rehashed batman show, The Batman.

P.S. I do not agree with Harisenbon, and Nubius - not that anyone cares; Tail Spin, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip n' Dale, and Transformers were terrible, TERRIBLE!, shows! They aren't even worthy of my spitting on them. I hate them so much, I am going to pretentiously say what I just said in Latin: Vt ne eos conspvtem qvidem, ii digni svnt!
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sat 07.16.2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 07.17.2005 3:19 pm

I just can't believe no one's mentioned South Park. It's gotten a bit gross with all the sex/species change stuff, but other than that it's still funny.
Shibakoen

Postby Datadog » Mon 07.18.2005 11:35 pm

P.S. I do not agree with Harisenbon, and Nubius - not that anyone cares; Tail Spin, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip n' Dale, and Transformers were terrible, TERRIBLE!, shows! They aren't even worthy of my spitting on them. I hate them so much, I am going to pretentiously say what I just said in Latin: Vt ne eos conspvtem qvidem, ii digni svnt!

Somebody pass me that aluminum bat. I need to brush up on my swinging. :@
Datadog

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Tue 07.19.2005 12:04 am

What's your problem?! Those shows DO suck! In the case that you want to bash my head in with a baseball bat, not because I cast aspersions on those TERRIBLE shows, but because you just don't like me - whatever the reason may be - you can go shove it up your ***! :@

:D

:)

;)

:|

:(
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Tue 07.19.2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Naruto721 » Tue 07.19.2005 12:15 am

Anime for me! Whole lot better than cartoons, 'nuff said!:|
Naruto721

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 07.19.2005 10:11 am

I'm sorry man, but Darkwing Duck and Chip N Dale were awesome.
Shibakoen

Postby Datadog » Wed 07.20.2005 7:25 pm

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
In the case that you want to bash my head in with a baseball bat, not because I cast aspersions on those TERRIBLE shows, but because you just don't like me - whatever the reason may be - you can go shove it up your ***! :@

No, it was the first reason. Now please stand still. My aim's a bit rusty. B)
Datadog

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 07.20.2005 8:35 pm

settle down boys... they're just cartoons.
Shibakoen

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.20.2005 8:55 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
settle down boys... they're just cartoons.

Obviously *YOU* never watched Opimus Prime die in front of you!

I remember calling my dad at work, bawling. "But. but.. he was THEIR LEADER!!! He was such a GOOD robot!"

*laugh*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions