Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Another question (sorry)

Another question (sorry)

Do you have a translation question?

Another question (sorry)

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 8:50 am

I have a Japanese grammar called "Japanese Step by Step by Gene Nishi". In it there seems to be either a typo or a really confusing grammatical element which has completely thrown me, whose exegesis in the book is either entirely absent, or, at best, nominal and not so salient as I should have seen it yet.

In chapter 6 section 2, he describes the use of "V3-hazu-desu" and gives a number of examples, but his last example is highly confusing:

彼女は来るはずです.

デパートは庶?ノ開くはずです.

彼が約束を忘れるはずはありません. (This is the one that throws me.)

Why is the predicate marker "で" missing in the last example?

I thank you preemptively, who should have helped me with this.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 07.13.2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

RE: Another question (sorry)

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 1:14 pm

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
彼が約束を忘れるはずはありません. (This is the one that throws me.)

Why is the predicate marker "で" missing in the last example?

I don't know if there's a better answer to this, but that's the form used for showing you expect something NOT to happen with はず. はずは + ない/ありません. The shortened form of はずではないか, はずじゃないか, could appear in asking a question which you want to be affirmed.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 1:27 pm

Thanks again, Schattenjedi. You have come to my rescue yet again, elucidating the darkness and stupidity that is my mind with your light of erudition. What would I do without you?

P.S. How is it that you have come to speak Japanese, English, and (presumably) German so well in such a short period (You are 20, are you not?) ?
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 07.13.2005 1:38 pm

I was born in America and I have a German father. So that explains two of them. And Japanese I'm learning at uni. Still have a LONG way to go though.
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 07.13.2005 1:46 pm

Really? That's disconcerting. If I suck as much as I obviously do, being far worse than you in every respect, and you, according to the drift of your last message, aren't very good and yet have a "LONG" way to go, then how much more do I suck than I think myself to suck - how much longer do I have to go to be a proficient speaker of the Japanese language? This doesn't augur well for デービッド .
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 07.14.2005 8:06 am

The main factors are motivation, devotion, resources, time, and immersion. If all are optimal, then you can learn at a really good pace. I'm lacking on time and immersion at the moment. But once I make it to Japan, I'm confident I'll reach fluency in 2 years give or take.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Thu 07.14.2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion