Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Practice English category

Practice English category

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

RE: Practice English category

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.24.2006 7:34 pm

I find this a very good idea! You're right, there are many people here whose native tongue isn't English, so it will be of interest to many, I think. Very good idea, coco-san, I hope it becomes an active and interesting part of the forums. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 04.24.2006 7:37 pm

sorry to post your thread coco,

but it would help my penpal out PLENTY, since she's having trouble in english in all. Great Idea
TrilinguisT

Postby Keo » Mon 04.24.2006 7:42 pm

I've started creating the "English Classroom" in TJP chat
Keo

Postby ss » Mon 04.24.2006 7:49 pm

To Clay-san and all admins

Till date, at least 13 members here feel that this is a great idea!
Please consider. ;)

Can't wait to see how Coco-san is going to motivate us to learn English too.... must be very fun and interesting as usual.....

:p
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby someone » Mon 04.24.2006 8:02 pm

:o
someone

Postby Christian_ » Mon 04.24.2006 8:34 pm

I still think thats a great idea, as far as space goes, I've been trying to tell everyone about this idea. As everyone knows there are 11,806 members, but about, maybe 40 or so (thats probably higher) members actually post here on a day to day basis. I would imagine it would clear up a huge amount of space if all inactive members were deleted. I know some people might be against this, but we could sticky a thread and send emails to all inactive members to log in within a time period, if they want to keep their account. I think thats plenty fair. Does anyone agree/think this is a good idea?
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Phurdonk » Mon 04.24.2006 8:54 pm

I also like the idea of having a "Practice English" section. Like others have said, I think that with all the help that I have received from members such as coco, the least that I could do is return the favour.

One thing I'd like to point out though is if we were to get a "Practice English" section, we'd need to decide what type of English we will use. I say this because members may get confused on things such as spelling. For example, I used the word "favour" above spelt with a "u", while in the States, they spell it like this: favor. While it's only a little difference, I have personally found that some people get confused. Another example is the word "metre/meter". If it is spelt as "metre", it is referring to the measuring unit (100 centimetre in 1 metre). But if it is spelt as "meter", it is referring to something like a "parking meter" or an actual device used to measure things. And to add just a little more confusion, in the States, both "metre" and "meter" are spelt as "meter" (correct me if I'm wrong).

In the end though, I'm all for it! :D
Phurdonk

Postby coco » Tue 04.25.2006 5:46 pm

Thanks for all messages that kindly you posted.
When I see this thread,I am convinced of the need to new section more than before.
Thanks, sgtkwol-san, too. ( unfortunately/ironically :p , although I have not figured out all of your sentences yet, I appreciate your message.)

I think teaching native language is really good experience for thinking culture that makes a part of your character/personality. That is one of the reasons of why I am here on TJP. :)

To Dear all administrators.

If there is not a problem of server space, I'd like to propose to create "English practice" section in TJP forum.
I'd like to hear from you.
Thanks in advance.

(I hope this makes sense ^^;
Last edited by coco on Tue 04.25.2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby AJBryant » Tue 04.25.2006 8:44 pm

I kind of like the idea.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ss » Thu 11.30.2006 12:22 am

こんにちはここさん

英語の練習について、どんなお考えをおもちですか?Any 計画 ?

Are we going according to the proposal? If there's any further discussion, I'll join in after the test. See ya ! ;)

よい一日を
ss

Postby kohyin » Thu 11.30.2006 1:46 am

cocoさん、

名案だと思います。
TheJapanesePage.Comの素晴らしいヴィジョンを更に拡大する種を蒔きましたね。サーバーのスペースが問題ならば、別のURLで英語を学ぶフォーラムを作成して、当フォーラムと提携するという手もありますよね。
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby kohyin » Thu 11.30.2006 2:09 am

Christian_ wrote:
I still think thats a great idea, as far as space goes, I've been trying to tell everyone about this idea. As everyone knows there are 11,806 members, but about, maybe 40 or so (thats probably higher) members actually post here on a day to day basis. I would imagine it would clear up a huge amount of space if all inactive members were deleted. I know some people might be against this, but we could sticky a thread and send emails to all inactive members to log in within a time period, if they want to keep their account. I think thats plenty fair. Does anyone agree/think this is a good idea?

I could be mistaken, but the memory that takes up for the member database wouldn't be much of an issue (of course depending on how much space the server has).

Also, I believe that those "inactive" members are valuable members for the forum. They may be too shy to participate in the activitiies. Nonetheless, the fact that they made extra clicking and typing to register themselves to this forum shows that they value this forum. They made the choice to be part of this forum. It will be unfair to strip their membership based on their visibility.

While a community is represented by its vocals members, I would like to think that its function is to serve its members not withstanding of their visibility.

Just my thought... :)

I read lots of praises to native Japanese who are helping this forum.

I would like to remind you that many of the members who are helping in this forum are non Japanese. I was scolded once mentioning it but I am going to mention it again: their academic knowledge of Japanese is better than mine (I am Japanese). Many of them lived in Japan or once lived in Japan. They are probably fluent like natives -- I used to have many non-Japanese friends back in Tokyo long time ago. Many of them spoke Japanese in such fluency that I couldn't tell if they weren't native Japanese when I spoke on the phone.

I admire the members who volunteer to help others learn Japanese not withstanding of their native tongues. It is really special --I wish there is a forum for Chinese learners like this so I can improve my Chinese...
Last edited by kohyin on Thu 11.30.2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
緑@光陰
http://www.kohyin.com
署l署F、皆仲良くしましょう。
kohyin

Postby paul_b » Thu 11.30.2006 2:22 am

Christian_ wrote:
I still think thats a great idea, as far as space goes, I've been trying to tell everyone about this idea. As everyone knows there are 11,806 members, but about, maybe 40 or so (thats probably higher) members actually post here on a day to day basis.

More like 400.
I would imagine it would clear up a huge amount of space if all inactive members were deleted. I know some people might be against this, but we could sticky a thread and send emails to all inactive members to log in within a time period, if they want to keep their account. I think thats plenty fair. Does anyone agree/think this is a good idea?

There are technical reasons why it's not a good idea to delete members from the list who have ever posted. There is no particular reason (technical or otherwise) why we couldn't delete members that have never posted (and, say, haven't visited within the last six months). This has been discussed among the admins and may happen sometime or not.
paul_b

Postby ss » Thu 11.30.2006 7:42 am

Kohyin-san wrote
Also, I believe that those "inactive" members are valuable members for the forum. They may be too shy to participate in the activitiies..........

I admire the members who volunteer to help others learn Japanese not withstanding of their native tongues. It is really special --I wish there is a forum for Chinese learners like this so I can improve my Chinese...

100% agree.
Kohyin-san, I know some members that are very good in both Japanese and English (and even Chinese too), it’s a pity that they feel shy/uneasy/uncomfortable to participate in the forum. But some of them are very active and helpful in the chat room.

On the other hand, people that are very active at the forum here are hardly to be seen in the chat room.

I’d always find it perfect to utilize both forum and chat facilities. Sometimes, I wonder how people feel about the “ Chat Room ” .
((What is exactly a chat room for ? Just curious about it anyway, stupid question and off topic …..))
ss

Postby richvh » Thu 11.30.2006 1:12 pm

I just added an 英語の練習 forum. Enjoy.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions