Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Battle Royale

Battle Royale

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Battle Royale

Postby datdo » Tue 11.28.2006 9:59 pm

Hey I actually just wanted to be the first to make a new thread in this section...but anyway....

what do you guys think of the movie? I noticed a br2 thread but I haven't seen it yet and don't want it to be spoiled for me so I made this thread(run on sentence much....)
datdo

RE: Battle Royale

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Wed 11.29.2006 2:59 am

When I didnt speak any japanese it was great. But now that I understand japanese its very different. Not Only I, but my japanese friends agree that the acting is just awful.

Dont get me wrong the story and and everything are great.

BR2 Is Nothing like the first. And this may not be the exact reason but if you didnt know the Director Died Halfway through the making of the movie.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.29.2006 7:01 am

the book is good, but I've only heard bad things about the movie.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

RE: バトルロワイアル           

Postby Hiroyuki kun » Wed 11.29.2006 7:24 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
... my japanese friends agree that the acting is just awful.

Are we talking about the same movie here?

I thought this movie is brilliant!!!

Direction is excellent and the acting is incredible. Very good performances from the lead characters played by Aki Maeda and Tatsuya Fujiwara. Supporting performances by Kou Shibasaki and Chiaki Kuriyama are also very good. All the teens in the film are very talented. They did audition 800 teens for the roles afterall.

The only critisisms I had was that the length of the movie could be extended for better development in the opening and I still don't really get the ending. Maybe someone can help me out here.

Watch this movie everyone!!!
Hiroyuki kun

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 11.29.2006 8:14 am

I didn't like. I don't know,
it looked a bit cheap. The
setting wasn't convincing
enough to uphold the bizarre
plot.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Ozymandias » Wed 11.29.2006 8:32 am

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but I do remember being entertained. That said unless I'm mistaken I wasn't dazzled by the acting.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

平仮名: 48/48, 片仮名: 48/48, 漢字: 6/1945
Ozymandias

Postby datdo » Wed 11.29.2006 2:27 pm

I did enjoy the book more but this is in the movie section not book section unfortunately...

My japanese isn't anywhere good enough to assess the quality of the acting but I loved the plot. It may be a little unrealistic but aren't a lot of great movies?
datdo

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 11.30.2006 7:55 am

Hiroyuki kun wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
... my japanese friends agree that the acting is just awful.

Are we talking about the same movie here?

I thought this movie is brilliant!!!

Direction is excellent and the acting is incredible. Very good performances from the lead characters played by Aki Maeda and Tatsuya Fujiwara. Supporting performances by Kou Shibasaki and Chiaki Kuriyama are also very good. All the teens in the film are very talented. They did audition 800 teens for the roles afterall.

Well my friends and I are actual film student who can give valid opinions on acting. and trust me the acting was not that great dude.

there r beta movies.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Ozymandias » Thu 11.30.2006 8:27 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Well my friends and I are actual film student who can give valid opinions on acting. and trust me the acting was not that great dude.

there r beta movies.

You don't need to be a film student to have a 'valid' opinion.

Ozymandias

Postby datdo » Thu 11.30.2006 2:51 pm

but you do need a decent knowledge of japanese language and culture if you want to have a 'valid' opinion on japanese movies...
datdo

Postby Ozymandias » Thu 11.30.2006 3:03 pm

An opinion does not need to have 'validity'. As an opinion by it's vary nature is personal it seems to me that it is rather rude and presumptuous to say that yours is more 'valid' than someone else’s.

Ozymandias

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 11.30.2006 3:21 pm

Oh my God, one of the best movies ever, IMO. I really, really loved it.

Did anyone else cry when Nobu died? I sat, teary eyed, yelling at my computer "No! Not Nobu! Nobuuuuu!!!!"

... Yes I did! ...
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Thu 11.30.2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

RE: ZOMFG

Postby Qbot » Thu 11.30.2006 4:44 pm

are you guys serious? your a film student? valid opinions? everyones opinion is valid. serious, cause you guys are lame and dont like movies that are beyond sweet, well, that sucks. but this movie is amazing. the story line was so badass! how could you possibly deny that? and bad acting? What the franz? bad acting? wow. thats weak. the acting was good enough to make it a wicked movie. what more could you want in it? aaah! i havent posted anything in so long but this just..aaah!

10out of 10 stars. straight up. badass.
Qbot

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 12.01.2006 12:18 am

datdo wrote:
but you do need a decent knowledge of japanese language and culture if you want to have a 'valid' opinion on japanese movies...

my friends where born and raised japanese buddy.

I never said that you needed to study film to have a valid opinion. But they do know a lot more than people who havent.
Last edited by Matsumoto_hideto on Fri 12.01.2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
自由た〜!!!
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby datdo » Fri 12.01.2006 12:25 am

wow...I really need to work on my sarcasm....next time I'll put the sarcasm html tags.
datdo

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music