Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Four letter words

Four letter words

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

RE: Four letter words

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.19.2006 8:20 am

paul_b wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
やっはり is also one

looking through that list it had the origin やはり without the っ. now, maybe age is catching up with me, but I could have sworn both やっはり and やっぱり were the same with the exception of the coloquialization.. or maybe once again, i learned tohokuben and not real japanese.. doh!

やっはり has reasonable absolute yahoo.co.jp hits (34,000) but is massively overwhelmed by やはり and やっぱり.

How does their cousin やっぱし fare?
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Thu 10.19.2006 8:31 am

Mike Cash wrote:

2,570,000 hits, more than enough to be in the Edict entry (I've just submitted an amendment).
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.19.2006 9:42 am

Mike Cash wrote:
paul_b wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
やっはり is also one

looking through that list it had the origin やはり without the っ. now, maybe age is catching up with me, but I could have sworn both やっはり and やっぱり were the same with the exception of the coloquialization.. or maybe once again, i learned tohokuben and not real japanese.. doh!

やっはり has reasonable absolute yahoo.co.jp hits (34,000) but is massively overwhelmed by やはり and やっぱり.

and here I thought that was Tohokuben and decided not to use the yahhashi, yappashi approach..
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 10.19.2006 10:02 am

paul_b wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
Are there very many 3-character ones? If it's as easy as typing *っ* into your database query program, I sure wouldn't mind the list of 3-character ones :D

It's not quite _that_ simple but here they are.

あっと
いっし
いっそ
いっぽ
おって
かっか
かっこ
かって
かつて
かっと
きっと
ぐっと
けっか
けっく
こっか
さっと
ざっと
じっと
すっと
そっと
ぞっと
たった
ちっと
どこか
どっか
どっと
ぬっと
のっと
はっと
ぱっと
ふっと
ほっと
ぽっと
むっと
もっか
もっと
やっと
やっぱ
やはり
わっと

What? No ずっと?
Mike Cash

Postby paul_b » Thu 10.19.2006 10:14 am

Mike Cash wrote:
What? No ずっと?

it didn't have an (adv) tag. Didn't have any tags at all actually (amend submitted).
paul_b

Postby keatonatron » Thu 10.19.2006 11:27 am

Thanks a lot EdictBot--er, I mean, Paul.
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 10.19.2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby shin1ro » Thu 10.19.2006 11:49 am

I believe やっぱし is a Kanto accent (at least Tokyo and some part of Chiba close to Tokyo where I once lived). Kansai natives never use it although they perfectly understand it. Tokyoites may claim it's standard Japanese, though... ;)

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Postby Zounoko » Fri 12.01.2006 2:43 am

My penpal pointed out this very interesting site about the origin of these words:

http://chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/service/q ... Id=7331639

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 12.01.2006 3:44 am

i don't have the time at the moment, but this reminds me of a book that i have called "Jazz Up Your Japanese with Onomatopoeia". and just taking a quick look....

p.27

Syllable + small つ tsu + syllable + り ri (or ん)
This, the last onomatopeia type, lends emphasis when referring to a sound....

かっちり (more empathetic than かちり)
かっちん (more empathetic than かちん)

and it goes on for a page or so. the semi-premise of the book is that (like in english), certain vowels and certain consonants in certain order have a meaning (based on the sound of the word) when used as onomatopeic words... there's even a bit on a lot of them needing the と and or a する in order to make sense.

it's really an excellent book that will teach you the difference between ころころ and ころころん and きりきり. onomatopeia is one of my favorite things that i stopped studying in order to study for JLPT testing... there are a vast amount of words that can be sorta understood based on the consonants and vowels used, whether the word ends in り or ん, whether the vowels are あ or い, whether the consonants are voiced or not, whether the syllables are repeated or not, and whether there's a small つ (glottal stop) in the middle... the almost same word can take on various flavors depending on the combination of these factors, where the basic meaning is the same, but the finer points of the word depend on which consonants and vowels are used. just a little change here or there can be the difference between a high-pitched scraping noise that gets on your nerves and a low-pitched noise that reverberates while it fades away.... all determined by the voicing and vowels and っ and endings of the same basic word....

maybe after the JLPT tests are over i'll try and not-copy the excellent breakdown from the book.
zengargoyle

Postby Zounoko » Sun 12.03.2006 11:54 pm

I would really appreceiate that!

Incidentally, aren't you the !@#$&)(^ responsible for getting me addicted to the Language Log???

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Previous

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems