Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Battle Royale

Battle Royale

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

RE: Battle Royale

Postby Infidel » Fri 12.01.2006 12:36 am

Html tags won't work, you'll have to use BBcode tags instead.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 12.01.2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby datdo » Fri 12.01.2006 12:48 am

you know what, Infidel?....I liked your old avatar better. This new one scares me into taking whatever you say seriously...no matter what you say...

Note: I don't even know how to use BBcode tags.....wait...BBcode has tags???....
datdo

Postby neo2407 » Fri 12.01.2006 12:35 pm

Oh god! That movie still haunts me! I saw it when I was about 10 (not sure why I watched it, I guess there was nothing else on and the plot was kinda interesting).
Since I was only 10 I hadn't seen anything like it, and I was so freaked out! I sat there wide eyed...I think there was 1 bit where I was almost sick (I wasn't but almost).
What freaked me out was that (obviously) they were only teenagers and they had to fight for their lives...killing their friends...but they did get the chance to kill people they didn't like. And I was only a couple of years away from being a teenager...and I'm by nature I'm a bit paranoid, I started thinking "Oh god! What if something like that really happened? What if it happened to me!?" (lol, you may think I'm a little weird, but trying being in here...then you'll see how weird I can be lol.)

Although I have to admit I think it was a good film, and it was the second Japanese movie I saw (the first being Pokemon...but that was the English dub). I'd like to see it again but I haven't found it...and it's probably an 18 and I'm still 17 :(.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby datdo » Fri 12.01.2006 1:16 pm

well you live in scotland. Don't you guys have plenty of sketchy asians that sell asian cinema dvds? I know that for me theres one at the shopping mall next to my school... though since I don't buy things I make my friends buy things from him and then borrow it from them...pronouns are so confusing.....
datdo

Postby neo2407 » Fri 12.01.2006 3:19 pm

There is a market 3 days a week, and the last (and only) time I was there, there was a guy selling copied video games and movies (although he wasn't Asian) but I was last there about 5 years ago and I don't know if he's still there.
And he kept getting either visited or arrested by the police. And he sometimes asked for your address, he doesn't say why but I think it's pretty obvious why he asks for it. And I heard from one of my friends (shortly after I was there) that the police were "keeping an eye" on anyone that visited him.
So I don't think I'll risk it.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.01.2006 4:12 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

Well my friends and I are actual film student who can give valid opinions on acting. and trust me the acting was not that great dude.

there r beta movies.

I read this and all I can think of is that you think having gone to film school your opinion on acting is any better than anyone elses.. Even the simplest person can tell bad acting from good.

While I agree the acting was hideous, I have found many a movie with an even larger budget with mainstream actors that can't act either..

Keanu Reeves come to mind very quickly.. That guy can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.. even when he is playing a dull headed surfer bum..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Tspoonami » Fri 12.01.2006 6:54 pm

I read the Battle Royale manga... It was... well drawn?
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 12.02.2006 1:08 am

Well Let me put it in different terms.

Anyone can listen to music and give their own opinion on how it sounds etc...

but an actual musician who has studied music can say "Oh I like how the guitars created a polyphony" or notice that modern music over uses I-IV-V Chord progressions. See most ppl dont know what Im talking about because Ive studied music.

Thats what I was trying to say. Anyone can give an opinion on w/e Im not denying that. Im just saying someone that actually works/and or studies something should obviously know more than someone who doesnt.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Infidel » Sat 12.02.2006 1:38 am

what matters about acting, music, and art is the opinion of the audience. The actors, the directors, the producers, the singers and the writers can think their art is the best in the world, and give each other awards, but ultimatly, it's the audience's opinion that is the most important and valid.

The problem with actors and such is they can't see the forest for the trees. They are too busy talking Jargon to realize that all that jargon doesn't matter in the end. It's just a way to impress others in the same field.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 12.02.2006 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 12.02.2006 1:56 am

nvm...
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby datdo » Mon 12.18.2006 11:18 am

the manga was ... different....

I-IV-V doesn't sound right to me....then again I'm horrible at music theory...
datdo

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 12.25.2006 8:35 pm

datdo wrote:
the manga was ... different....

I-IV-V doesn't sound right to me....then again I'm horrible at music theory...

Manga was Awful and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY different (unfortunatley focused too much on raping etc....)

I-IV-IV is the standard blues progression. if you listen to some blues standards such as BB king and i think youll recognize it.
自由た〜!!!
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby BrianM » Mon 12.25.2006 8:49 pm

I loved this movie! One of the greatest of our time. BR2 wasnt so good, too many stupid action scenes, and fake blood and stuff.....
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby baiduXlita » Fri 12.29.2006 9:20 am

One of the best movies ever made. I love Battle Royale. Me and My Friend HIkari love watching it on rainy days. heehee. ~) ~).
I thought the acting was mediocre but the movie was superior.
something rather short of a fun-loving american...☆
☄love me or hate me☄
Japanese culture is turning into my life.

No.Muzic.NO.Life.♡

MiLK♡
baiduXlita

Postby RanRane » Wed 01.03.2007 3:37 pm

I liked the film also, and my japanese is still very basic. But my friend who is fluent in Japanese has always said the acting was only mediocre. It did seem a bit odd at times I must admit.

And as for the Validity of an opinion, It's funny you say that as you are film students your opinions are "Valid".
RanRane

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Movies and Music