Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English Section Rules

English Section Rules

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

English Section Rules

Postby datdo » Fri 12.01.2006 12:38 am

I was wonder what the standards were going to be for the english section. Like what *dailect* of english will we use? American, British, Australian? And when we reply in the english section should we only use correct english or are we still allowed short hand and acronyms? Those are just a couple on my mind...
datdo

RE: English Section Rules

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 12.01.2006 12:43 am

IMO it would be the best learning environment if none of that stuff was regulated.
Schattenjedi

Postby CajunCoder » Fri 12.01.2006 12:43 am

I believe correct English should be used as much as possible everywhere on the forum, but especially on the English boards. As for dialect, whichever would apply. Someone may have questions on a particular dialect of English, so regulating that seems pointless and even counter-productive. Actually, on that note someone may even have a question about slang, or net speak even, so I do not believe there should be any regulations. Just efforts to use appropriate English.

Of course, I have no authority on this. Those are just my thoughts.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Fri 12.01.2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby chikara » Fri 12.01.2006 2:55 am

CajunCoder wrote:
........As for dialect, whichever would apply. Someone may have questions on a particular dialect of English, so regulating that seems pointless and even counter-productive. .......

はい、英語のオーストラリア弁の質問に答えられます。
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Fri 12.01.2006 1:30 pm

IMO it would be the best learning environment if none of that stuff was regulated.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Wiki is not the best learning environment, even if it can be a good springboard. We don't want to give our ESL members a general idea of what might be the right answer, we want to teach them the right answer.

I think people shouldn't come on here and guess about what might be correct English. If they aren't sure they should not answer. That way there won't be contradictary statements for someone to guess who was right.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 12.01.2006 1:43 pm

the problem with that Infidel, is that a mojority of us English speakers don't know what is Correct English. (I count myself in that majority too)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Fri 12.01.2006 1:51 pm

A mojority? Include me there!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby richvh » Fri 12.01.2006 2:00 pm

Of course, since we are talking about natural language, quite often there is no single response which you can point to and say "This is the one and only correct answer." However, since this forum is intended for people (and, in particular, Japanese) who are studying English as a foreign or second language, we should strive to give answers that wouldn't embarass our own English teachers. We should give answers appropriate to the standard dialect of the country where we live (and note which country that is, where differing opinions crop up) unless the question is about a specific dialect, and avoid slang unless the question is about slang.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 12.01.2006 3:19 pm

This thread actually brings up an important consideration in teaching *any* language, not just English. What dialect should be taught to a learner? Should slang be taught? What about casual spoken contractions or other forms? Should the emphasis be on just helping someone to get their meaning across, or should the learner be attempting to learn native-style speech? (These are major questions in Japanese pedagogy as well)

One of the main things that is necessary to answer these questions is what the goal of a learner is. If someone is moving to London and is primarily concerned with communicating through spoken English, then British English as it is spoken in London will be more important than comma rules and textbook-standard English. And so on.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to 英語の練習