Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 9:40 pm

Saiaku_Akuma wrote:
Hippo-san, I think you're confusing datdo with me. I'm the one who was taking 3級, and it's my b-day today, lol. Which room were you in? I was in room 602.

I found the test pretty easy, but I had problems with 聴解問題II. I think I got about 5 or 6 right. I destroyed 文字・語彙 and 読解・文法, though. I cannot wait for my grade.

I was talking about you lol. Datdo's post just reminded me to ask. I was in 602 as well :o. Did any of the people I described match you in any way? yeah, the first and 3rd sections were amazingly easy, but listening was hard and I think I only got a little more than half of them right.

Actually, I'm kind of nervous about the listening part because I saw the procture (the Asian woman) write an x on a listening answer sheet after they've been collected and I sat there thinking to myself "aah, what if thats my paper!" but I think I might have done well enough on the other sections to make up for it if it was mine...though that would be mean of her since I didn't cheat.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sun 12.03.2006 9:41 pm

flammable hippo, did you have the town story I mentioned? I'm curious...
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 9:42 pm

tanuki wrote:
EDIT: By the way, didn't you also have a story about a town that got all nigiyaka but then all the young people left for a bigger town? If you did, then I probably got confused with the rooms (or you got confused and took the level 4 haha).

OMG YES! lol. But I think you might have been in the wrong room because there was a sign that specifically said level 3 JLPT on the board. ;) The only other option I can think of is that the comittee that makes the test got too lazy to make a distinct level 4 and 3 listening. I think I got that question wrong though...
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 12.03.2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby tanuki » Sun 12.03.2006 9:47 pm

Haha. I was definitely in the right room and was definitely taking the level 4.

I didn't know they used some of the same tracks for both levels, that's weird. The food/sports girl and the once-nigiyaka town questions were the longest and probably hardest of the whole listening part for us, they looked strangely 3級-like.

Now I know why.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 9:49 pm

:Any other questions on the test that seem vaguely 3級? :)

flammable hippo

Postby tanuki » Sun 12.03.2006 9:54 pm

Not really. The whole grammar, kanji, vocabulary was 4級. But they did use a word I didn't know (and which wasn't in the vocabulary list, I guess, because I learned all of them): 無くす. Luckily, it was in the grammar part so I didn't need to know the meaning.

The sentence was something like: さいふを なくして こまります。 (you had to conjugate the なくす).
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 9:55 pm

なくす means to lose, which would fit in perfectly with the rest of the meaning of that sentence.

flammable hippo

Postby tanuki » Sun 12.03.2006 9:58 pm

I know that now.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 9:59 pm

tanuki wrote:
I know that now.

lol. I should have figured you had looked it up already. Oh well.

edit: just as a side note, I would have guessed for some reason that you would have been taking 2級. You seem really educated about Japanese.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 12.03.2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flammable hippo

Postby KNH » Sun 12.03.2006 10:11 pm

flammable hippo wrote: Did any of the people I described match you in any way? yeah, the first and 3rd sections were amazingly easy, but listening was hard and I think I only got a little more than half of them right.

Nope not at all, lol. I didn't talk to anyone, but you might have seen me. One minute before the listening comprehension started, I asked the bald proctor if I could switch my desk to a left handed desk 'cause the right handed one was super uncomfortable. It looked as if I was cheating during the first section because I had to adjust my body to write.
KNH

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 10:25 pm

Saiaku_Akuma wrote:
flammable hippo wrote: Did any of the people I described match you in any way? yeah, the first and 3rd sections were amazingly easy, but listening was hard and I think I only got a little more than half of them right.

Nope not at all, lol. I didn't talk to anyone, but you might have seen me. One minute before the listening comprehension started, I asked the bald proctor if I could switch my desk to a left handed desk 'cause the right handed one was super uncomfortable. It looked as if I was cheating during the first section because I had to adjust my body to write.

oh yeah, a bunch of people switched over. Wait...do you have big poofy hair kind of like that kid from High School Musical? Or were you in a dress thingy? I wanted to find out who you were but I felt I would seem rather weird if I went around asking every black person I saw if they belonged to a site called TJP and went by a pseudonym of Saiaku Akuma. :D

flammable hippo

Postby KNH » Sun 12.03.2006 10:38 pm

The black kid from HSM? Nah, that wasn't me. I have manageable curly hair, lol. I had a black jacket on, though.

Yeah, I thought the same. Asking people would seem quite weird, lol.
KNH

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 12.03.2006 10:42 pm

Hhhmm...black jacket, I don't really remember. Oh well, I guess we might never find out.

Btw...did the proctors say that if part of your test was invalidated for cheating or something that they would inform you of it afterward? I'm curious to know, not because I cheated (cause I didn't) but as stated earlier I saw the lady put an x on a paper and freaked out a little inside thinking it might be mine. So if they said that they would tell you afterward (since they said they wouldn't interupt the session) then that makes me feel better because no one stopped to talk to me. :p
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 12.03.2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flammable hippo

Postby datdo » Sun 12.03.2006 11:09 pm

I feel so left out....I was stuck on floor 5(don't remember the room #) with a bunch of kids I didn't know and what sucked worse was that I was the only black kid....

I vaguely remember those listening comprehension questions...I know I completely guessed them though...

Next year, if I take the JLPT, I'll set up a stand in front of the entrance with tea, cookies, and a sign that says TJP in big letters...that way theres no confusion about who's who.

Oh and and all the black people I did see before I went into my room were all creepy old dudes....lol
Last edited by datdo on Sun 12.03.2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datdo

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 12.04.2006 3:28 am

Well, this seems to be the thread for JLPT experiences so I'll write my own experience here.

I had myself signed up for 2kyuu in NYC. Our group had a tasty proctor by the name of Fukai-san. :) Suprisingly enough, 2kyuu was the only level which was split up into 2 rooms. Every other level had only 1 room.

The test started off with the 文字・語彙 section which went rather smoothly. I came across a couple of unknown Kanji and some half-known 擬態語, but I think I got at least 85% on that section.

Then came the storm. I was completely unprepared for the 聴解. It really exploited my weak point which is that I've never lived in Japan. I was only sure on about 20% of the questions and I made educated guesses on half of the rest them and well...not so educated guesses on the other half. If I get 40% on that section I'll be satisfied.

The last section, 読解・文法 wasn't all that difficult except the time limit was extremely tight. Following the advice of some netizens, I did the grammar part, which had more questions and didn't take as long, first. Then I started on the reading part which actually included a really informative article about sleeping cycles in it. With about 7 questions left, I ran out of time and just guessed on those remaining ones. I was cruising through that section until the clock stopped me. Estimated score: 70%

I found that the studying which helped me the most was going over sentences which used the 2kyuu grammar. It helped me a lot on the last section, which was worth 50% of the test. I'm not quite sure where I went wrong with listening comprehension. I watched plenty of Japanese TV in the months leading up to the exam. I only got to have conversations with Japanese people about once a week or so so that certainly didn't help much.

If those estimated scores are correct, I would get a 64...barely passing. So this one is still too close to call. I'll be nervously awaiting the results until March. Everyone else seems to have passed with flying colors so congratulations to you all.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Mon 12.04.2006 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test