Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - May have figured out ON and KUN -__-

May have figured out ON and KUN -__-

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

May have figured out ON and KUN -__-

Postby Akutabai_Gamma » Thu 07.14.2005 3:20 pm

I know ive been told this so many times about the kun and on readings but for some reason or other, my brain is stubborn ^_^ anyway i know you use the ON reading when the Kanji is in a compound but my question is, do you always use the Kun reading when its in conjunction wtih Hiragana?
Akutabai_Gamma

RE: May have figured out ON and KUN -__-

Postby battousai » Thu 07.14.2005 5:38 pm

This topic has been discussed many times before..I'm just going to copy and paste a response I made to a similar thread that is on page 4 of this forum.

--
Indeed, usually the rule of thumb is the kun reading is for the actual word that the kanji represents and the on reading is more often than not used when in conjunction with other kanji.

However, this is Japanese of course and it really isn't like that 100% of the time..or to be honest I'd say only about 60% of the time is it like that. There are examples of kanji where you will strictly use the kun and on readings for the specific uses. A la something like 食 will be た in 食べる and it will be しょく in 食事.
But there are also instances where there are more readings of one or the other. Such as 外 being そと、ほか、and はず for kun reading alone and げ and がい for on. And even though the first three can be used seperately or with a verb, you can then come across 外側 which is clearly a kanji combo but uses a kun reading. There are many instances of this for many kanji.

In the end it all comes down to knowing vocabulary..if you know the kanji then you know it. If not, you can take educated guesses by knowing the other readings of the kanji, but definitely don't follow any rule that if the kanji is in a particular spot it has to go by that reading.
battousai

Postby Gaijinian » Thu 07.14.2005 7:31 pm

This is a reoccuring topic, that is fa' sho^.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby battousai » Thu 07.14.2005 10:30 pm

No doubt.
battousai

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems