Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

The test - experiences, questions or comments

RE: JLPT 2006 - one week to go!

Postby paul_b » Mon 12.04.2006 3:10 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
paul_b wrote:
Well I've got JLPT level 1 so I probably know double what all u know combined.

I don't doubt it. :|

.sig man, .sig.
paul_b

Postby Lotrzyna » Mon 12.04.2006 5:30 pm

Hi

So, i took 3級 this sunday. My general thoughts on the exam are - it was way too easy, I do not mean it was too easy for me - it was too easy in general. I think that JLPT authors thought that exam become too dificoult last year or 2 years ago and waned to make it little bit easier, but they overdid and it was too easy ;) I do not want to make myself a perfect japanese speaker - i made errors in this years exam too, I had a problem with sentence about "place to wach birds ?" - I wasnt 100% sure if ことり is 小鳥 and I probably took wrong kanji for other word - I took 町氏? I choose wrong definition for 空がくれました. I also have about 3~4 doubts in listening - question - what time could students leave exam room - i did not write down what time did they start exam - 10.00 or 10.30 ? what purezento did child make for their father ? tie? 靴下? I consider grammar part the easiest - i think that i made error in sentence 先生がなかなか来なかったから、学生は騒ぎ。。。i took つづけた but i think it could be はじまりました or 出した。。。Reading - i also had an issue with that 高い or 安い - choose 高い。。。
I couldnt see this 700 words difference between lvl4 and lvl3... a year ago I knew about 95% of words used in lvl3 this year...
But on the other hand I do not know if I will be able to prepare myself to LVL2 next year - for at least 85% of lvl2...

PS Sorry for my poor english :/
Lotrzyna

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.04.2006 6:29 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:

I had myself signed up for 2kyuu in NYC. Our group had a tasty proctor by the name of Fukai-san. :) Suprisingly enough, 2kyuu was the only level which was split up into 2 rooms. Every other level had only 1 room.

That's not true, there were 2 rooms for sankyuu as well. I saw them.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 12.04.2006 8:05 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

I had myself signed up for 2kyuu in NYC. Our group had a tasty proctor by the name of Fukai-san. :) Suprisingly enough, 2kyuu was the only level which was split up into 2 rooms. Every other level had only 1 room.

Oh, I made a wrong association. 2kyuu was the only level which was in two different buildings then.
Schattenjedi

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.04.2006 8:09 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
flammable hippo wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

Oh, I made a wrong association. 2kyuu was the only level which was in two different buildings then.

really? that's interesting. I thought that all the tests were taken in Hamilton hall.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby datdo » Mon 12.04.2006 8:27 pm

all tests were in the hamilton except for some 2級 people. They went to .... I think it was Kent...I'm thinking of applying to Columbia so I should remember....
datdo

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.04.2006 8:45 pm

datdo wrote:
all tests were in the hamilton except for some 2級 people. They went to .... I think it was Kent...I'm thinking of applying to Columbia so I should remember....

That's cool, columbia is one of the places I think I want to go to college. Still figuring stuff out, though I don't have to start worrying about it for another year. It seems like a great place. Maybe one day we might even see each other on campus lol :)
Last edited by flammable hippo on Mon 12.04.2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flammable hippo

Postby Milmi » Mon 12.04.2006 8:52 pm

Lotrzyna wrote:
and I probably took wrong kanji for other word - I took 町氏
It was 市民.
Kanjikaveri - Finnish site about Japan and Japanese
Milmi

Postby datdo » Mon 12.04.2006 9:39 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
That's cool, columbia is one of the places I think I want to go to college. Still figuring stuff out, though I don't have to start worrying about it for another year. It seems like a great place. Maybe one day we might even see each other on campus lol :)

maybe....though that'd be creepy
datdo

Postby KNH » Mon 12.04.2006 9:46 pm

flammable hippo wrote: really? that's interesting. I thought that all the tests were taken in Hamilton hall.

Nope. Some of the 2kyuu test takers were also in Kent Hall.
KNH

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.04.2006 9:49 pm

datdo wrote:
flammable hippo wrote:

maybe....though that'd be creepy

Yeah...that would be kinda creepy...

flammable hippo

Postby Kampfbrot » Thu 12.07.2006 11:45 am

AussieB wrote:
I am looking for anyone elseo out ther in cyber space who sat 1 kyu yesterday.
If you have a photographic memory that would be extremely useful ;), but otherwise just to chat about the exam would be great.

Thanks
B

Hi!

I also took 1kyu last sunday. It was ok for me I guess.

Do you still remember the answer you chose for the second blank of the first dokkai text, though?
I think the context was something along the lines of: With their presence in a family grandparents remind the other family members (or was it the reader) that [ ... ]
With
... every human has to die one day.
and
... the parents, too, had been children once.
being two of the possible answers.

Personally, I decided on the latter but I also think that both would have been fine, considering the context. :|
Last edited by Kampfbrot on Thu 12.07.2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicht irgendein Brot.
Kampfbrot

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 12.07.2006 3:18 pm

Hi Kampfbrot, welcome to the forum.
The only one that seems to fit to me is that the presence of the grandparents shows to the reader that the parents were themselves once children and so putting <時間> into the novel.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby Kampfbrot » Thu 12.07.2006 4:02 pm

I see your point and that`s also the reason why I chose that answer after thinking for quite a bit.
Anyway, I`m relieved you see it the same way but I still don`t think the other possibility is completely wrong, although the one with the children does suit the text better as far as I`m concerned.

Did you also think that first text was a bit harder than the other ones? I took 2kyu last year but I couldn`t really spot any substantial differences in difficulty, save the first essay about time in novels...
Nicht irgendein Brot.
Kampfbrot

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 12.07.2006 4:37 pm

Well the way I see it, introducing grandparents doesn't necessarily suggest that everybody is going to die someday. If that is what the writer was trying to say, I think an example of a death in the family, or someone with a terminal disease would fit much better.

Secondly, I don't think that suggesting that everyone will die someday is as good at expressing <時間> to the reader as showing that how the parents were once children themselves (in other words that children grow up, marry, have children of their own and then become grandparents themselves) does.

I didn't have much problem with any of the reading section, but yes, this first text was relatively much more difficult than later ones like the one about the boy(?) who played tennis, I don't recall anything particuarly challenging in that passage. I can't really remember the 2Q questions so I can't really say how much harder they are in 1Q, but I do think the increased time limit makes things a lot easier.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test