Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Website problems or my problem?

Website problems or my problem?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Website problems or my problem?

Postby tanuki » Fri 12.01.2006 2:37 pm

Hello!

I don't know if this happens to everyone... (since nobody has said anything yet, or at least I haven't seen it)

Today I entered http://www.thejapanesepage.com in my browser's...thing...(address bar?) as usual, expecting the usual TJP homepage to show up.

What I got instead was an über old TJP homepage, apparently from an older version of the website, showing "updates" from 2005 and wishing a happy new year! :o

Is something wrong with my browser or with the page?

I'm also having other forum-related problems. For example, I can't put smilies directly into my posts (I click on the pictures below, but they don't appear) and I can't use the other tags like italics or quote, either. This leds me to believe that it might be a problem on my side.

Oh, if only I were more computer-savvy...
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Website problems or my problem?

Postby paul_b » Fri 12.01.2006 3:48 pm

It happens to me from time to time, the old front page - not the smilies not working.

What browser have you got? You might want to check that you are allowing Javascript to work and allowing auto-forwarding.
paul_b

Postby tanuki » Fri 12.01.2006 4:08 pm

I'm using Internet Explorer.

Actually, several weird things have been happening with my computer recently. It kind of looks like a virus, but the weird thing is that all began yesternight after I made a complete virus scan in my computer. All of a sudden, the Windows Media Player wouldn't open, my browser would start acting strange, my computer would become sluggish for no apparent reason...

I'm sure it's my browser now. I tried accesing the page with firefox (which I also have installed) and I didn't get the old front page and I could use smilies and everything.

Could you please tell me how do I check if I'm allowing Javascript to work and allowing auto-forwarding? (Pardon the ignorance.)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby tanuki » Tue 12.05.2006 8:42 pm

Hi. I don't want to be annoying, but I didn't get to fix the problem. Anyone could help me?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby paul_b » Tue 12.05.2006 8:54 pm

tanuki wrote:
Hi. I don't want to be annoying, but I didn't get to fix the problem. Anyone could help me?

tanuki wrote:
I'm using Internet Explorer.

1. Install Firefox.

2. If you don't want to do that then upgrade to IE7. (N.B. Upgrading to IE7 broke one old program installation and I also couldn't play media files until I installed the latest Windows Media player). In conclusion, see 1.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 12.05.2006 9:21 pm

the smileys and the formatting things are just Javascript. if they don't work on your IE then there's something in your settings that isn't allowing Javascript for this site. sorry, i really don't know anything about IE configuration.

i've also occasionally seen the old page... part of that problem is that the files for the old original site are still in place, PHP-Fusion was just installed on top of the old site. :)
why you sometimes get dumped to one of the old pages... i don't have a clue. there could be a redirect to one of the old pages buried somewhere on some page that gets sent on some error condition. the web server could barf sometime and send you to an old .htm file instead of a .php file. or many other things.
zengargoyle

Postby tanuki » Wed 12.06.2006 8:00 pm

I get it, use Firefox. :)

Thanks guys.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 12.06.2006 8:05 pm

tanuki wrote:
I get it, use Firefox. :)

now go and install the rikaichan extension and smack yourself for not having used Firefox in the first place. :)
zengargoyle

Postby tanuki » Wed 12.06.2006 8:21 pm

Ah, that's cool! I'd always heard about this "rikaichan" but always failed to check it out.

*smacks himself*
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Infidel » Wed 12.06.2006 9:45 pm

My only problem with Firefox is it times out a lot. IE will wait the extra few seconds for a response but Firefox is always giving me an error, could not find page, even after only a 2 second delay. Especially on this board.

And it won't work on about.com. That annoys me.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 12.06.2006 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to Problems