Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Benkyou

Kanji Benkyou

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Kanji Benkyou

Postby BetterSense » Tue 12.05.2006 6:04 pm

The kanji benkyou sidebar is a supremely awesome thing, for drilling kanji into one's brain. The problem is, I already know 日. It would be even awesomer if it had a quick 'I know this kanji' checkbox, so that it only showed kanji that I didn't already know. I'm not sure how hard that would be, it'd have to go by one's user account, but it would really rock.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

RE: Kanji Benkyou

Postby clay » Tue 12.05.2006 6:13 pm

Wow. What a great idea.

It would be nice to have a way to choose a 'word file' like JLPT 3 kanji or Basho's poems to display in addition to checking off what you know. But that would be a huge amount of work and I am afraid only one person (Zen-san) could do that.
clay
Site Admin

Postby BetterSense » Tue 12.05.2006 6:21 pm

No kidding, I've learned/remembered quite a lot of kanji on account of that sidebar.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 12.05.2006 9:46 pm

interesting, desirable, slightly complex.

the current Kanji Benkyou box does a single Query to the database that automagically picks a random kanji from the first 300 kanji in the table. simple, quick, no problem.

a per-user configuration would have to:

* query user configuration.
* if not configured, fallback to the old way.
* if configured,
** find all of the kanji in the list.
** find all of the kanji the user 'knows' either for that list, or in total.
** remove the known kanji from the list of possibilities.
** pick a random one from the pruned list.
** fetch that one from the database and display.

i'm only slightly worried that all of the querying and making the pruned list might be a bit to much to do on every page load. so maybe a little cache code that caches the pruned list per-user until the next time a kanji is marked as 'learned'.
maybe the kanji lists can be generated from the DB every so often and turned into loadable PHP code (should be faster than a DB query each time).

probably possible with a bit of thinking and testing. the Kanji Benkyou stuff isn't really part of Fusion, but it would still take adding a field to the user-profile for the list selection which i've avoided because tweaking the tables will make any upgrade to newer code quite prolematic. but, we've already had to tweak one table for the posting problem, and there are now *so* many changes we've made to the Fusion PHP code that it doesn't look likely that we'll ever get around to trying to upgrade. :) maybe we're now running TJP-Fusion (ewww...).

in summary, let me think about it some more.
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Tue 12.05.2006 10:16 pm

Yay! He's thinking about it :)

I dunno if you can do it with fusion, but maybe with Dhmtl or java.

Have the database download folder into the browser cache and set the window to query the cached folder instead of the main database.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Tiduas » Fri 03.16.2007 11:07 am

I would really appriciate this alot ^_^
Osu! Tatkae! Ouendan!
Tiduas

Return to Suggestions