Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - blacks visiting japan

blacks visiting japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

blacks visiting japan

Postby mintfive » Wed 02.23.2005 12:55 pm

hi
i am a 38 year old black female visiting japan for the first time in may. does anyone know how the japanese feel towards american blacks? i know the stereotype is the japanese have a negative view of american blacks, but wanted to know if anyone knew if this is a reality.

thank you.
mintfive

RE: blacks visiting japan

Postby Spaztick » Wed 02.23.2005 1:26 pm

Ho boy, I figured a "im (insert race or ethnicity) visting japan" would've showed up sooner or later. My advice is not to worry.

If your a foreigner (ie non-oriental) then you'll get stares because there aren't a lot of foreigners in Japan. The Japanese don't view you as white or black or russian or american or whatever, they see you as either a foreigner or not (at least that's what I'm told).

Some Japanese have a problem with blacks, but that's only in the places where they have army bases (and the Japanese have a problem with the US Army troops in general, with them being extremly roudy and rude). Since there are prolly kids on this board I won't go into details about the conflicts between residents and the army.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby mintfive » Wed 02.23.2005 1:46 pm

thanks for the reply. you're right. i get stares in most foreign countries, but have never had an unpleasant experience. just the opposite really. i look forward to going.
Last edited by mintfive on Wed 02.23.2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintfive

Postby clay » Wed 02.23.2005 3:11 pm

Spaztick wrote:
Some Japanese have a problem with blacks, but that's only in the places where they have army bases (and the Japanese have a problem with the US Army troops in general, with them being extremly roudy and rude). Since there are prolly kids on this board I won't go into details about the conflicts between residents and the army.

There are very few "rotten apples" among the US military in Japan. While it is true Okinawa in particular has had some trouble in the past, the troops are there for the benefit of US and Japanese interests. North Korea comes to mind... I have Japanese friends whose first encounter with foreigners were through military men (in Yokosuka) and because of that they wanted to learn English and visit abroad.

But back to the original question. I don't think you will find discrimination so much as surprise. I am a white male and got a few stares especially from children, but my black friends did have more staring episodes. This isn't necessarily a bad feeling - you have to take it with a grain of salt and don't let it get under your skin. In fact, I found it a little amusing.

I had a black friend in Hokkaido, who told me how he knocked off an old woman from her bike. Not intentially of course... She was peddling along and saw my friend and kept turning her head to get a good look at him until she slammed into something and flew off her bike.

But I think that is because my friend and I both lived in rural areas with few foreigners. If you are in Tokyo, no one will take a second look. One nice thing about being 'different' is if you get a chance to visit an elementary school, you will get flooded with requests for your "sign". B)
clay
Site Admin

Postby mintfive » Wed 02.23.2005 3:34 pm

i've read on other african-american blogs about the relations between blacks and the japanese. it seems very similar to america really. most reports were favorable.
mintfive

Postby Spaztick » Thu 02.24.2005 1:34 pm

Man I thought they were joking when everyone said that kids would ask for your autograph. I'm wondering why do they ask? The only think i can compare it to here is if you know Japanese or Chinese and everyone wants you to write thier name or your name.
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby haru » Tue 03.01.2005 2:44 pm

how about if your like from the middle east are their many people from their in japan, because im half british(i was born in england and my parents were born in bangladesh) would their be any differentce opinion to us with whats been happening around the world latly??
haru

Postby Spaztick » Wed 03.02.2005 1:26 pm

I doubt it, its gonna depend on how you act, like everywhere else I suppose. The Japanese don't have any preset racism, except maybe for a few bigots who think you should get out of thier country (older people in general). But those are few and far between, and thier keen awareness on and I quote my Goverment teacher: "social harmony and cohesion," keeps them from saying anything in public.
XD At this sig.
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby nihonjon » Fri 03.04.2005 1:57 am

I had a friend who worked in a hip hop shop and he had girls under each arm. He played the hip-hop stereotype real well and people loved him for it.
nihonjon

Postby haru » Tue 03.15.2005 4:28 pm

thought i might as well bump this up
haru

Postby Gaijinian » Tue 03.15.2005 5:48 pm

I saw a few blacks in Tokyo, and they got stared at equally as much as I did... lol, but you WILL get stared at, I got used to it quickly.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Tue 03.15.2005 9:23 pm

how about if your like from the middle east are their many people from their in japan, because im half british(i was born in england and my parents were born in bangladesh) would their be any differentce opinion to us with whats been happening around the world latly??

lol

this brings up something funny

I am an Iran American, who by lets say not by chance studys Japanese
during my studys I decided to start reading books on the overall culture and history of Japan. I have read several times that the largest Middle Eastern of inhabitants in Japan are Iranian, and unfortuantley they are not looked highly upon.

"Racism towards minority groups, particularly Iranians. This is a community of people, a lot of whom have fought in a war, a lot of whom are dissenting against a repressive government, a lot of whom speak three languages and are very well educated. Yet they are treated with disdain by the Japanese. A couple of years ago there was an incident where the riot police basically attacked them in Yoyogi Park. If that had been a bunch of white Americans, there would have been outrage."

That was a little bit from one of the books I own

Another book I have mentions a large number of homeless Iranians that try to give people free hair cuts in Yoyogi Park (No Joke)

I mean anywere you go people are going to make judgements based off the way your dress or were your from

THese things are unavoidable
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Kodi » Fri 03.18.2005 1:20 pm

could possible be one of the best things. being foreign. depends how you view it.
Kodi

Return to Japanese General Discussion