Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - brand names

brand names

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

brand names

Postby lomagu » Thu 06.09.2005 6:01 am

Why do Japanese people like brand names so much? It seems everyone is brand crazy. I guess in general, people like brands, but in Japan even more so. It also seems like Japanese people are very image concious... maybe these are related?
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

RE: brand names

Postby Spaztick » Thu 06.09.2005 10:53 am

Snob appeal. For some reason people in general tend to like a product more if it costs more, however in Japan people want the cost to stay up so the "brand name" thing has a higher value. One good example I saw was when some company was selling an expensive walkman (I wanna say Sony). When they lowered the price, demand actually went DOWN. O_o
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: brand names

Postby SO_Rennish » Sat 07.16.2005 9:23 pm

Spaztick wrote:
Snob appeal. For some reason people in general tend to like a product more if it costs more, however in Japan people want the cost to stay up so the "brand name" thing has a higher value. One good example I saw was when some company was selling an expensive walkman (I wanna say Sony). When they lowered the price, demand actually went DOWN. O_o

Exactly. I remember one time when my friend from New York came to visit me. I took him shopping most days with my friends. I remember how they looked at him weird everytime he said "OOH, Sale", and when he took free samples at a sweets shop.
You owe me an IOU
SO_Rennish

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan