Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stuff I wish the store would carry

Stuff I wish the store would carry

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Stuff I wish the store would carry

Postby MenomaMinx » Fri 07.08.2005 9:56 am

~Nihongo notes series {I think there are 10 books altogether, although not exactly certain}

These little books sell for about $10 US in Japan -- and it's over half the price of the book to import them! Yeah, I know I should be over the sticker shock by now; but, these are really small books . Every time I buy one I have a battle with my conscience overspending half the cost of the product to import. Because of that, I only own two of them.

Don't be put off by the fact that I said their little. Like the saying goes, good things come in small packages and these particular small packages are damn useful :-)

What they are are very short English stories that teach the usage of Japanese in various social settings. It's not so much that the information is available nowhere else, but rather that the stories make the information memorable long after the book is lost in your house somewhere. Speaking of which......

Yep, Nihongo notes No. 1 is currently lost in my house somewhere. I mentioned these books were small, right ;-)

Anyway, I'm willing to resort to bribery to get the store to carry them. I've got the location narrowed down to two rooms in my house. When I find it, I'm willing to dictate a couple of pages into the machine {so you can sample the books} in exchange for not having to pay the international shipping fees for the rest of the series should you like the series as much as I do :-)

PS

I know the title of this topic says "books", as in pleural, but I figured it would be too confusing to have more than one request per daily post. Besides, I read a lot of books even compared to people who read a lot of books. No point in scaring you away ;-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

RE: Stuff I wish the store would carry

Postby MenomaMinx » Sun 07.10.2005 4:27 am

Egg monster heroes translation effort is sucking up my time, so I haven't had a chance to look for the other book yet. Still, I have another recommendation for you -- for a book I can actually find!

~Japanese particle workbook by Taeko Kamiya ISBN 0-8348-0404-2

Now don't get me wrong, this book will not teach you Japanese particles if you don't know jack about self-study habits. You'll need to copy out each example by hand and dissect it for meaning. Or, at the very least, be prepared to dissect them in your head. Something you would have to do with most specialty books anyway, but especially important with this one as it has a sprinkling of typos. If you've done at least four to six chapters in your regular textbook, you should be able to spot them right away; but someone doesn't have any experience with the language at all first starting out would be confused by the typos {usually misspellings, although there is one wrong answer key}

Now you may be asking yourself, why recommend a book that is admittedly flawed?". Simple. I know where all the flaws are! Like I said, any beginner with the few chapters of their primary textbook under their belt could spot them. A simple correction sheet shipped with the book would solve the problem {something the original publishers do all the time}.

This is simply the easiest and most memorably taught introduction to particle usage I've encountered yet. It separates each and every permutation of meaning for a particle into a different lesson. Each of these particle permutations has been ordered throughout the book using frequency of usage -- meaning that the more frequently the particle each used with a particular meaning, the earlier it appears in the book. There are fill in the blank exercises every three pages or so with the answer key in the back. The book also has a full index of particles and their meanings in the back for quick look up.

Yes, there are better detailed and more in-depth books on the subject matter, many of which I own; but like I said, as far as every day useful learning goes, this is the one you want :-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
MenomaMinx

Postby clay » Sun 07.10.2005 9:21 am

I will see if Nihongo Notes are still in print. If so, I will try to stock some. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Qbe » Sun 07.10.2005 12:01 pm

My local library carries the whole set of Nihongo Notes, and I'm really enjoying them. They'd really be worth stocking if you can get them.
Qbe

Postby marijean » Sun 07.17.2005 11:34 am

The Japan Times book club publishes two Japanese phrasebooks that look really good, but ordering them from abroad is a pain. I believe they're called 'Catchy Japanese Phrases', and I'm sure they would be quite popular with people like myself who have loved the JT's Genki series.
marijean

Postby Kei » Sun 07.17.2005 2:51 pm

Some music cds of popular music of present time would be great, we seem to only get old stuff overseas.
はじめまして ^_^;
Kei

Postby MenomaMinx » Sat 07.23.2005 9:38 pm

Any luck on getting Nihongo notes?

I still really really want them -- pretty please :-)

Anyway, here's the afore promised bribe {from Nihongo notes 2 instead of 1, because I still can't find one}

Page 14
"Gomennassai
ごめんなさい
(I'm sorry)

At the office where Mr. Lerner works, a reception was held yesterday afternoon in honor of an important visitor. Mr. Lerner was then asked to give a short speech in Japanese. Since everybody looked very formal , he became rather nervous and made a mistake in pronouncing the guest's name, so he hurriedly apologized, saying

Gomennassai
(I'm sorry.)

Many of the people there laughed. This helped the people relax, although Mr. Lerner lost some confidence in his Japanese..

Later Mr. Takkada said that they had laughed because Gomennassai sounds feminine: Ms. Yoshida said that it was because the expression sounds childless.

Mr. Lerner should have said

Shitsuree-shimashita
失礼しました
(literally, I was rude.)

Instead of Gomennassai.Gomennassai is one of those expressions that are used mostly at home between family members, while Shitsuree-shimashita is used in social situations. Little children usually apologize to their parents or teachers by saying Gomennassai, but Shitsuree-shimashita is not usually used between family members. (Sumimasen is also used in apology . It is less formal than Shitsuree-shimashita and its used both inside and outside of one's home, by adults or older boys and girls; if a child said Sumimasen to his parents it would sound rather strange.

Outside of the home, Gomennassai is used mainly in family like situations. Most often it is used by children; among adults, it is often used in informal conversation. For instance, a child will say it to a stranger whose foot he has stepped on by mistake in the train. An elderly person may say it to a younger person even when working at the office unless he has to be formal.

The distinction between formal or social expressions such as Shitsuree-shimashita and familiars expressions such as Gomennassai seems to becoming looser. Some people have start using familiar expressions, either intentionally or unintentionally, in formal or social situations. But still it is important to choose appropriate expressions according to the situation if you want to be a really good speaker of Japanese."
MenomaMinx

Postby clay » Sat 07.23.2005 9:51 pm

Neat.

Unfortunately it is out of print, but I was able to find a few of the Nihongo notes as unsold bookstore stock. Also I can't get the entire set. I will post the issues here when I find out exactly which ones I am getting. Hopefully I will know more in a week or two.

:)
clay
Site Admin

Postby MenomaMinx » Sat 07.23.2005 10:07 pm

Anything you can get will be good :-)

Also, long as I have your attention, I would like to make a couple more requests,

From the exact people who wrote Nihongo notes , came the book series called "communications clues". As far as I can tell, there are three volumes. I own volume No. 2 and need one and 3.

The presentation of these books is more straightforward, with no storytelling : I haven't finished reading the one I have yet, as I just got in the mail yesterday、 but the emphasis appears to be clarifying distinctions concerning mistakes foreigners often make with words.

My second request is "blue seed", which is a two-volume manga that my favorite anime was based on. I've been trying to get a copy for years, but one time I found it the store wouldn't ship internationally. This is the original, and not the manga based on the anime -- although that would be nice too.

You can see a few pages translated into English here

http://www.denkyu.com/april2004/29.html

This web page is the most comprehensive on the series {in English , anyway}, and also mentions the original 18 manga issue series from which the volumes are compiled from.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/7934/bsmanga.htm

I'm not sure how it works in Japan, but here in the U.S. used comic's extraordinarily expensive {my collection actually has one I paid over $30 for on sale and a couple that are actually worth over twice that should I ever sell } . I'd like to have these, but I'm not sure I can afford them.

I should also point out that this web site has the full English translation for both volumes, in case someone else is interested in importing these books for Japanese reading practice .
Last edited by MenomaMinx on Sat 07.23.2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MenomaMinx

Postby MenomaMinx » Mon 08.15.2005 2:30 pm

Hey Clay,

Any progress with my requests? Just ordered some stuff from the store, and it would be nice to throw in the same shipment if you got in any of those books in.{edit = already shipped, and I just ordered moments before writing this Talk about fast :-)

If you haven't, I guess it can we do next order.

Speaking of the next order, I have some more requests. {You knew this was coming, right ;-)

I need

Nihongo Pera Pera!: A User's Guide to Japanese Onomatopoeia (Tuttle Language Library) (Paperback)
by Susan Millington

ISBN: 0804818908

{I can't remember Onomatopoeia to save my life, so one of these days one of these books has got to work -- it's just a matter of finding the right one that clicks :-)

A Reader of Handwritten Japanese (Paperback)
by P.G. O'Neill
ISBN: 4770016638

{the only book of its kind that I've ever seen that features real handwritten Japanese by numerous Japanese natives}

Eigojin to Nihongojin no tame no Nihongo gitaigo jiten =: An illustrated dictionary of Japanese onomatopoeic expressions (Unknown Binding)
by Taro Gomi

ISBN: 4789004821

{like I said before, I can't remember Onomatopoeia to save my life, so one of these days one of these books has got to work -- it's just a matter of finding the right one that clicks :-)

Strange but True: A True-Life Japanese Reader (Power Japanese Series) (Paperback)
by Tom Gally

ISBN: 4770020570

{A reader with an above average amount of text explaining what each and every little thing in Japanese means. The stories are also supposed to be extraordinarily attention grabbing, making you want to translate through the next part even if you're tired translating -- just a find out what happens next :-)

^ can you get any of these for me?
Last edited by MenomaMinx on Mon 08.15.2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MenomaMinx

Postby clay » Mon 08.15.2005 3:14 pm

Thanks!

The Nihongo Notes are on their way but in a slow boat from Japan! It could come any day, though. I will update this thread when they do.

We do have Jazz up your Japanese with Onomatopoia:
http://www.thejapanshop.net/readers/jazz.htm
This is a nice book with dialogs and not just a vocabulary list.

I liked Tom Gally's Strange but True book, but it is out of print now. Kodansha has been reprinting their Power Japanese books in new formats. So far, I haven't seen the new version of this book, though.

I will see if I can't get those other two books. If they are published in Japan, we usually have them shipped by boat which can take up to 2-3 months to arrive...

Thank you very much for making recommendations. I will let you know about the Notes books.

Thanks,
Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby njt » Mon 08.15.2005 8:34 pm

A Reader of Handwritten Japanese (Paperback)
by P.G. O'Neill
ISBN: 4770016638

now that wouldn't be a bad book to have.... some of the hand writtin japanese I've seen from my co-workers is just crazy :o
njt
Site Admin

Postby clay » Mon 08.15.2005 9:48 pm

"Eigojin to Nihongojin no tame no Nihongo gitaigo jiten" is out of print unfortunately.

More on the other books later...
clay
Site Admin

Postby MenomaMinx » Sat 08.20.2005 12:44 am

clay ,

A slow boat is just fine, as long as it doesn't sink along the way ;-)

I have the Jazz up your Japanese with Onomatopoia book already. From what I remember, it was nice while I was actually reading it, but not very memorable when I encountered the same information again outside the book. I also used this book on a few of my translation projects, and a lot of the common sound effects simply aren't in there.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the book; but I just didn't find it all that useful in the long run.

While I've got your attention, I got another request {I know you've got to be getting sick of these, but I think you'll like this one :-)

Kodansha International published a whole bunch of {mainstream franchise /characters} bilingual manga specifically for language learning purposes. Originally targeted at Japanese natives learning English, the text bubbles have the English translation and the Japanese original is written on the side of the panels -- similar to the Sazae-Chan vol 3 I just got from you, except with kanji. There's a whole bunch of titles I want in this series , but since I just found 2 of Ah! My Goddess Bilingual all by it's lonesome at another store, I would really like No. 1 so I don't get confused by starting with the second volume.

There is also another company doing these as well , although I forget the company name. Here's one of the book's they publish that I want though

bilingual edition of Fruits Basket vol. 1, which they call Eigoban (English-language edition) Furuutsu Basuketto

ISBN4-592-73185-9

^ think you would consider carrying any of these?

Also, although I already have it, I also want to recommend "Japanese the manga way: an illustrated guide to grammar and structure" by Wayne P. Lammers

ISBN 1-880656-90-6

This is the translation editor of mangajin's attempt to revive the magazine book form, and its excellent -- much better than mangajin's own two-volume book series in fact, despite being derived from the same source material AKA the magazine. Since you have all the other mangajin related stuff, I'm kinda surprised you don't have this one; but it just came out, so maybe you haven't seen it yet.
MenomaMinx

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips