Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Headline riddle

Headline riddle

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Headline riddle

Postby Zounoko » Thu 12.14.2006 6:08 pm

On another site (can't remember what it was) there was a fun thread of English- and Japanese-speakers offering riddles for the non-natives to solve. This headline inspired me to start that kind of thread here.

This is a riddle for non-native English speakers, please. (Though of course native English speakers are welcome to add their 2 cents worth after the riddle is solved.)

Please explain the following headline (an actual headline found on CNN.com today) and explain why it looks funny:

Leahy wants FBI to help corrupt Iraqi police force

I picked this headline because a) it is funny and b) we English-speakers should let the Japanese and others laugh at our own English mistakes and 3) I think the headline illustrates something interesting about English grammar.

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

RE: Headline riddle

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 12.14.2006 6:56 pm

That's hilarious. :D I wouldn't really call it a mistake since it is easy to get the intended meaning out of the sentence and there aren't any actual errors. You just need to look at it a certain way to get the joke ;)
Last edited by flammable hippo on Thu 12.14.2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Thu 12.14.2006 7:08 pm

Hm, I think the thing is, "corrupt" was supposed to be an adjective there, but can be interpreted as a verb "to corrupt".

So, it would be: "Leahy wants FBI to help Iraqi police force become corrupt".

Is that it?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 12.14.2006 7:10 pm

DING DING DING We have a winner lol.

Yeah, so the sentence can be interpreted as "Leahy wants the FBI to help the Iraqi police that are corrupted" or "Leahy wants the FBI to help the Iraqi police force become corrupt."
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Zounoko » Thu 12.14.2006 11:31 pm

Um... this was supposed to be a riddle for those who are not native speakers of English?

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby hungryhotei » Thu 12.14.2006 11:51 pm

Zounoko wrote:
Um... this was supposed to be a riddle for those who are not native speakers of English?

The Elephant's Child

But tanuki isn't a native speaker...
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby Zounoko » Fri 12.15.2006 12:25 am

Really? Tanuki's English is excellent!

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Return to 英語の練習