Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Proverbs

Proverbs

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

RE: Proverbs

Postby Rsquared333 » Sat 12.16.2006 2:37 pm

mamba wrote:
Another saying for #7 is opportunity knocks once.


Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. :D
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Rsquared333
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed 08.16.2006 12:59 pm

RE: Proverbs

Postby ss » Sat 12.16.2006 3:45 pm

1. The traffic is very heavy tonight and we’re going to be late for our party, still, _________________.
(better safe than sorry; absence makes the heart grow fonder; better late than never)


Chchan wrote:
"Better safe than sorry" is the correct choice. You are effectively saying that it is better to drive safely to the party (and arrive late) rather than risking an accident.

"Better late than never" has a different meaning. You are effectively saying that it is better to turn up late at the party than not go at all. Therefore, the following sentence would also make sense:

We are going to be late for our party, but better late than never.



For the above you quoted, I think otherwise.

I think in normal circumstances, people generally feel that “There’s nothing I can do since the traffic is so congested, but, no matter what, I will attend the party.” (So, better late than never)

I don’t know about others, but, for me, I don’t think there's a necessity to risk life on the road, in order to attend friends’ party.
((hrmm… Maybe I have a little problem expressing myself. Anyway, better safe than sorry is not the most appropriate for me in this case.))


choose the most appropriate” is always a headache for me, seems all applicable. Just like what my sensei has given us some exercises, I’m still pondering over the choices.
1) ピアノの______が毎日あって、いやになります。(演習、練習)
2) 私は歴史が_______です。(下手、苦手)
3) 山田さんは大学の______です。(社員、職員)
4) 苦い経験を______忘れてはいけない。(けっして、全然)
Last edited by ss on Sat 12.16.2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ss
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Fri 11.18.2005 10:07 am
Native language: English speaking family

RE: Proverbs

Postby richvh » Sat 12.16.2006 4:40 pm

I, also, as an American English native speaker, would choose "Better safe than sorry."

Slow but sure wins the race
In the UK, I believe it is "slowly but surely does it".

"Slow but steady wins the race" is the way I'm familiar with it (from the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Proverbs

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.16.2006 5:31 pm

chchan45 wrote:
Interesting discussion. I would like to add my observations:


2. Slow but sure wins the race
In the UK, I believe it is "slowly but surely does it".

.


from the tortoise and the hare.. "slow and steady winds the race"
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: Proverbs

Postby Txkun » Sat 12.16.2006 5:40 pm

SS wrote:
Tri wrote
my favorite : "pot calling the kettle black" .. not so much a proverb, but i love this idiom


Pot calling the kettle black
五?#27493;笑百步 wu shí bù xiào bài bù
五助熾S歩(ごじゅっぽひゃっぽ) (日本語 ??)
目くそ鼻くそを笑う(めくそはなくそをわらう) (from my sensei ^^)



Wow, this is interesting... I didn't know it. Not in japanese nor in english.
In italian it's very different.
"Il bue disse cornuto all'asino". I searched for translation since there is a meaning I didn't know how to translate. So its literally: "The ox said 'horned' to the donkey" (cornuto" is a colloquial expression for "cuckold").
Another similar is "Senti da che pulplito". You say this when someone is blaming others for something (like a priest from a pulpit) but that one has the same shortcomings.
Proverbs and idioms are really the soul of a language! Nice thread! :D
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

RE: Proverbs

Postby tanuki » Sat 12.16.2006 6:11 pm

Hm, there is a similar saying with a "kettle" in Spanish, but I think it's a regionalism. The most widespread version is (I think):

"El burro hablando de orejas."

Which means "The donkey is speaking of ears" (because donkeys have long ears).

Both the Spanish and Italian versions have to do with donkeys. :)
But there's something interesting! "Burro" in Spanish means "donkey", but "burro" in Italian means "butter". Right, Txkun-san? ;)


EDIT: Here is the reason of the English proverb, in case you are interested (I didn't know it).
Last edited by tanuki on Sat 12.16.2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
User avatar
tanuki
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sun 09.25.2005 9:00 pm
Location: South America

RE: Proverbs

Postby AussieB » Sat 12.16.2006 8:32 pm

richvh wrote:
I, also, as an American English native speaker, would choose "Better safe than sorry."

Slow but sure wins the race
In the UK, I believe it is "slowly but surely does it".

"Slow but steady wins the race" is the way I'm familiar with it (from the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare.)


The first answer is definitely "better late than never". Being in heavy SLOW traffic in no way endangers them, just makes them delayed, so safety is not an issue here.

In Australia we use both "slowly but surely" and "Slow and steady wins the race" but they are used in different contexts. Slowly but surely is usually when you are being careful with something (one particular action) where as the latter refers more to the whole methodical drawnout process; "The race" representing the whole process
User avatar
AussieB
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon 12.04.2006 4:27 am

RE: Proverbs

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 12.16.2006 8:55 pm

chchan45 wrote:
1. Delays are dangerous
To be honest I have never heard this. However, I am aware of a similar proverb "strike the iron while it is hot".


I've never heard this either. Perhaps it is only used in American English?
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed 04.12.2006 5:06 am
Location: Germany
Native language: English

RE: Proverbs

Postby richvh » Sat 12.16.2006 9:38 pm

"Strike while the iron is hot" is the proverb; related to blacksmithing, I suppose.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

RE: Proverbs

Postby Txkun » Sun 12.17.2006 3:47 am

tanuki wrote:

But there's something interesting! "Burro" in Spanish means "donkey", but "burro" in Italian means "butter". Right, Txkun-san? ;)


eheh Tanuki, I didn't know that. Well, that's another of the 'false friends' words that occour frequently in spanish - italian and make everyone laugh if you speak spanish simply by adding 'os' randomly. ;)
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

RE: Proverbs

Postby ss » Sun 12.17.2006 4:15 am

Better safe than sorry
It is better to be careful and to avoid risks than to be careless and have to feel regretful about having been involved in some kind of accident, trouble or danger.

Examples:
* Ken has to be quarantined because he was suspected to have some kind of infectious disease, better safe than sorry.

* Mom said to Diana: “You must get the brakes of the car checked before going on your road trip! Do drive very slowly on those icy roads, although the journey will take longer, better safe than sorry.”


Strike while the iron is hot
趁熱打鐵
Act immediately when an opportunity presents itself in order to achieve success.

Examples:
* Daddy is in a fabulous mood and so now would be a good time to ask him for a cruise.

* The offer comes on the market next week and you should strike while the iron is hot.

Similar - Make hay while the sun shines
Opposite - Look before you leap
User avatar
ss
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Fri 11.18.2005 10:07 am
Native language: English speaking family

RE: Proverbs

Postby Infidel » Sun 12.17.2006 5:58 am

7. The offer is a very generous one and you should accept it right away, ______________.
(strike while the iron is hot; one door closes, another opens; look before you leap)


Technically this is wrong. Strike while the iron is hot is refering to the fact that you can't change people before they are ready. Seize the bull by it's horns would be better here. A blacksmith makes the iron hot, so it implies that you created your own opportunity and the only risk is the lost opportunity. Seize the bull implies a certian risk to the person, and he didn't create his opportunity, he had to seize it as it was passing him by.


Of course, if there were originally quotes around "The offer is a very generous one and you should accept it right away" to imply that it was someone speaking these words to you, especially the person offering the opportunity, then "look before you leap" is best.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 12.17.2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
User avatar
Infidel
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 1:12 am
Native language: 英語

RE: Proverbs

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 12.17.2006 9:26 am

I was a little uncertain about #1 also -- my answer would be "better late than never" because to me, "better safe than sorry" requires a different context. Something like "The traffic probably won't be bad now, so we don't have to leave for the party this early. But better safe than sorry." Despite that, I do see the problems people have with that answer because somehow "better late than never" doesn't quite seem to fit in there.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Sun 12.17.2006 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

RE: Proverbs

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 12.18.2006 8:31 pm

(This is my take on the matter. Opinion, not fact...)

Infidel wrote:Strike while the iron is hot is refering to the fact that you can't change people before they are ready.

I think that would be more along the lines of: "Strike the iron when it's hot."

"Strike the iron while it's hot" is similar to "seize the moment," but with a slightly different nuance. It's basically: "Use an opportunity when you have it (but if you miss it, you can always get it back; you can always reheat iron)."

That's what I imply when I hear that...

:D
Last edited by Tspoonami on Mon 12.18.2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
User avatar
Tspoonami
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue 08.22.2006 1:28 pm

RE: Proverbs

Postby coco » Sat 06.09.2007 7:29 pm

SS-san
After I've read your post with another thread, I guess the topic which was talked in theremay be similar as this thread.
I just wanted to add that thread because Tony-san's explanations are very helpful to English learners. ;)
coco
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon 05.30.2005 12:43 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests