Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - All American women are cows? Also,furikko?

All American women are cows? Also,furikko?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

All American women are cows? Also,furikko?

Postby MenomaMinx » Mon 07.18.2005 8:17 pm

You know, just when you think you've seen everything......

Today I ended up at a job finding web site for foreigners in Japan. In its messageboards, is a social board discussing "sex in Japan". And there it was staring back in me -- yet another offhanded comment about all American women being cows. Far from being an isolated incident, I've been reading people expressing this particular viewpoint for the past couple weeks on various messageboards having absolutely nothing to do with sex. The common denominator is the person doing the message writing inevitably thinks this is the common viewpoint and they don't have to explain themselves. Furthermore, all the other people in the topics I've seen don't comment on it one way or the other -- like they think it's normal too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended, just trying to figure out the etymology of the thing. Where did this particular stereotypes come from? And is it really has common as some of these messageboards are making it out to be?

And while I've got your attention, I learned new word today that I don't quite get.

"furikko"

It was described as the practice of walking with high heels on, with your toes pointed inward as you walk. It was described to be akin to watching a baby or ostrich walk, and men talking about it seemed think it was very unattractive -- yet they claimed the women who do it think it is cute. In fact, my word tank defines it as "cute" without much of a further explanation.

Anyone have any insight into the either of these things?
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

RE: All American women are cows? Also,furikko?

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 07.18.2005 8:23 pm

Do american women ruminate their cud? This might be the source of the cow comment. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby MenomaMinx » Mon 07.18.2005 8:31 pm

eeeew! LOL!

Scary thing is, in parts of the Amazon rainforest, there are women to do that -- and then they throw it up into their babies mouth -- Amazonian backwoods baby food. Yeah, the science channel has scarred me for life ;-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Postby Hannahshaeded » Mon 07.18.2005 9:12 pm

wouldn't calling us cows be a compliment? because cows are better than humans. they don't have war. they aren't corrupted. just say, thank you whenever you hear some1 say that

and whats cud?
Last edited by Hannahshaeded on Mon 07.18.2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Hannahshaeded[/center]
Hannahshaeded

Postby Mukade » Mon 07.18.2005 9:57 pm

I think having a national average of obesity at 50%+ is creating a stereotype around the world as Americans being fat.

I know that being in the States it might not be that noticeable, but whenever I go back home now (having been in Japan a while), I sit in wonderment as I look at all the humungous people waddle on by. It's like getting into a cold swimming pool; at first it's really shocking, but as time goes by you get used to it.

I think most Americans (myself included, originally) grow up with obesity as a norm, and so they don't realize that it's not natural for people to be 5'6", 250 pounds.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/p/euro_vs_america-jpg.html

This link is yet another example of a growing impression abroad that "Americans = Fat and Lazy."
Last edited by Mukade on Mon 07.18.2005 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Christian_ » Mon 07.18.2005 11:16 pm

yeah, its really discusting how people can let them selves go like that. obesity is starting to be normal in America.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 07.19.2005 12:18 am

I went home to Memphis TN last summer with the wife. Last year Memphis beat out Phillidelphia as the fattest city in America.

My wife, who teases her mom about being fat all the time, couldn't believe it when the woman at the bank was 3 times the size of her mother. "Why is that lady so large?" She asked me. I look at the average memphian sized woman and say, "sweety. That's not large, the man with 12 chins behind you. THAT'S large."

She then spent the rest of the vacation taking pictures of fat people, and the size of our food. (A chicken breast from KFC the size of my face). She also got irked that I brought her a large soda when she specifically asked for a small, until I explained that that was the smallest size they have.

OH THE GLUT!
Harisenbon

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 07.19.2005 12:21 am

Hannahshaeded wrote:
wouldn't calling us cows be a compliment? because cows are better than humans. they don't have war. they aren't corrupted. just say, thank you whenever you hear some1 say that

and whats cud?

Never seen a cow with a bazooka, have you?:D My friends grew up on the farm. They know how mean cows and bulls can get. (If you go cow tipping, never NEVER try to tip a bull)

Cud is regurgitated food that cows will chew many times over as it goes through their four stomachs. Stomach one holds the food for a while, digests it, then spits it back into the mouth to be chewed again and go into the second stomach.

"To chew one's cud" is also a phrase with the meaning "to mull things over"
Harisenbon

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 07.19.2005 10:07 am

As far as the furikko thing you were talking about, it is something that us gaijin noticed about some of the 'kawaii' set, especially in Shibuya. They walk around pidgeon-toed with their handbags hanging from their elbows (as opposed to their shoulders or being held in their hands) because it's supposed to be cute. My friends can't understand it, but it does seem to work for some people. Really any comment I would make about why it's attractive would probably not be appropriate for this forum. Suffice it to say there is something 'cute' about seeing a girl walk around like that. I guess the bizzaro-world equivalent would be the "gangsta' strut" that all the thug wanna-bes do in the States to make themselves look macho.

And the cow thing has got to be the obesidy like Mukade pointed out. I mean I was struck when I first got to Tokyo with how incredibly fit the women are. I mean in the States a woman can generally be a little pudgy and still considered attractive (after all everyone between 20 and 35 in this forum probably knows the song "I like big butts..." by heart). It was my perception that whereas women in the US are by and large a little 'soft' especially around the middle, Japanese women decidedly are not. Japanese women are in incredible shape for the most part. I have heard though, that there is a trade-off in that Japan has a very high rate of women with eating disorders. And I know that some Japanese women are very insecure about their breast size, and that they perceive that having smaller breasts is a trait of being a Japanese woman. So, that's where the 'cow' thing comes from. You can take it as either a mocking slight against fat western women, or jealous slight at perceived larger western bust sizes.
Shibakoen

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 07.19.2005 11:01 am

Shibakoen wrote: I mean in the States a woman can generally be a little pudgy and still considered attractive (after all everyone between 20 and 35 in this forum probably knows the song "I like big butts..." by heart). It was my perception that whereas women in the US are by and large a little 'soft' especially around the middle, Japanese women decidedly are not.

It's called fat, don't be fooled by the terms "pudgy" or "soft". And what you call fat is probably considered obese in most countries. And it's quite clear that Japanese are more fit than Americans because they live longer.

As for these cuteness traits, I think the pigeon-toed walking is ridiculous, however I think that girls carrying their bag over their elbow definitely has a cuteness factor to it.
Schattenjedi

Postby sa » Tue 07.19.2005 3:28 pm

もしかして「ぶりっこ(burikko)」?

だとしたら、女性に向かって「あなたはぶりっこですね」って言わない方が良いですよ。
女性の仕草(しぐさ)などを嘲笑(ちょうしょう)したり、揶揄(やゆ)するためだけに使う言葉(slang)なので…;)

正式には「かわいこぶりっこ」、「かまととぶりっこ」だと思いますが、今は「ぶりっこ」だけで使われることが多いです。

somebody, plz translate m(_ _)m
にはウサギがいて、火星にはタコがいるらしいが…
sa

Postby Mukade » Tue 07.19.2005 8:39 pm

sa wrote:
もしかして「ぶりっこ(burikko)」?

だとしたら、女性に向かって「あなたはぶりっこですね」って言わない方が良いですよ。
女性の仕草(しぐさ)などを嘲笑(ちょうしょう)したり、揶揄(やゆ)するためだけに使う言葉(slang)なので…;)

正式には「かわいこぶりっこ」、「かまととぶりっこ」だと思いますが、今は「ぶりっこ」だけで使われることが多いです。

somebody, plz translate m(_ _)m

Do you mean burikko?

If that's the case, it's probably best not to tell a woman "You sure are burikko," since this is a slang word used to ridicule or tease a woman about her bearing or mannerisms.

I think the proper term would be kawaikoburikko or kamatotoburikko, but nowadays just burikko is used quite often.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby sa » Wed 07.20.2005 12:24 pm

Mukadeさんへ
どうもありがとうございます m(_ _)m
にはウサギがいて、火星にはタコがいるらしいが…
sa

Return to Japanese General Discussion