Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - おどる メイド・イン・ワリオ

おどる メイド・イン・ワリオ

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

おどる メイド・イン・ワリオ

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 12.17.2006 11:22 pm

So, my wife got おどる メイド・イン・ワリオ for the Wii two days ago for Channukah. It's the most fun I've ever had with the Wii, even beating out Zelda, which I am horribly addicted to.

It has instructions like
天狗 -- Put the controler in front of your nose
大威張る -- Put the controller on your hips and throw back your chest in a taunting manner.
ちょんまげ -- Put the controller on top of your head.

The instructions are all explained with traditional music and shodo, while a gaijin reads the instructions to you.

Completely brilliant.

I'm wondering how much localization is going to go into it when it comes state-side. The whole game is just oozing with japanese-culture. I can't imagine it connecting with the greater public left as is.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

RE: おどる メイド・イン・ワリオ

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 12.18.2006 12:19 am

i'm still trying to determine the "region-ness" of the Wii. early on there were rumors that it would be region free (like the DS), then reports that it would definately not be region free, then reports that Japan-Canada-USA were one region and Europe was a second region. still i haven't found a definate answer...

i get the feeling that i'll end up getting a Wii, and if it's not able to play Japan-region games that i'll delve into the underworld of Wii-hacking to play the games that aren't made available in the US-region... :) even as it is, i'm constantly fighting the urge to try some of the DS hacks that are available... mmmm, Linux on my DS... muahahaha!

i so totally enjoy the few 'Japan-only' games that i have for my DS, it would be (probably is...) a total shame that they would region restrict the Wii. :(
zengargoyle

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.18.2006 1:31 am

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wii-not-even-remotely-region-free/

Although I haven't confirmed it myself, it seems to be region-locked. Which is sad, but not for me. ;)

You could always buy a Japanese wii. They're really cheap (if you can actually find one)
Harisenbon

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 12.18.2006 2:05 am

yeah, i read that. i'm waiting for something more recent where somebody finally gives the word as to what countries are grouped in each region... :( or until the the 'even geekier than i' people come up with a workaround... ages ago i would be one of the first people to crack open a piece of hardware and 'cut traces' or 'add chips' in order to bypass idiotic restrictions, but i've grown complacent recently. somehow i think that the Wii will end up causing me to get back into the nuts-and-bolts of hardware-hacking... i don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
zengargoyle

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.18.2006 2:11 am

As someone who is completely disheartened that the DS browser doesn't support flash/video, I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm looking forward to the Wii browser, though, as I can have some fun with networking, and make myself a badass entertainment center. ;)
Harisenbon

Postby CajunCoder » Mon 12.18.2006 1:38 pm

Heh, interesting sounding game, I'll have to check it out.

Of course, I will have to wait until either someone finds a way to hack the Wii, or buy a Japanese one >.>

As far as I know, it isn't compatible with Japanese games. They even went through the extra measure of removing all Japanese support for the American Wii, and replacing it with Spanish and French <.< Come on, embrace the culture! I know more people who speak/are studying Japanese here than French or Spanish combined, and I live in Mississippi! (granted, I generally hang out with the geeky crowd :D)

I just never saw the point in restricting such things - or region protection in general, with games. The language barrier should be more than sufficient, and most people aren't going to go through the trouble of importing a system anyway.
CajunCoder

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 12.18.2006 1:49 pm

Cajun, there are many reasons for region coding.. pirating and bootlegging are the two most common reasons..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Rounin T » Mon 12.18.2006 7:58 pm

Sounds like a blast.

Harisenbon wrote:
I'm wondering how much localization is going to go into it when it comes state-side. The whole game is just oozing with japanese-culture. I can't imagine it connecting with the greater public left as is.

I'm surprised at how much Japanese culture was left in the PS2 game 大神 (Ookami) in the NA localization. Even the title was left as-is, regardless of the fact that the meaning will be completely lost on most Westerners. (The playable character is Amaterasu in wolf-form.)

By the way, Ookami is a great game, and would be even if I had zero interest in Japan. The Japanese culture and mythology is a bonus. Try it out, especially if you're a Zelda fan.
Rounin T

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 12.18.2006 8:23 pm

Rounin T wrote:
By the way, Ookami is a great game, and would be even if I had zero interest in Japan. The Japanese culture and mythology is a bonus. Try it out, especially if you're a Zelda fan.

I've been meaning too, but since I work full time, there are only so many hours I can devote to games. :/ Most of my gaming is actually done on my DS on the train in the morning.

Okami is definately on my list, though. Probably right after I finish Zelda.

Btw, has anyone played the other Made in Wario games? (I think they're called Wario Party or something like that in English). They've come out for every system, but none seem quite as Japanese as the Wii Version.

It also comes out in America in January or February, so no need to import. ;)

As to why there are restrictions, one reason is definately piracy and differences in prices, but also is the fact that Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Japan are two different Companies. If everyone bought Japanese games instead of American ones, NoA wouldn't get any money, and go out of business. ;) Handhelds have traditionally been region free, because they're used by travelers.
Harisenbon

Postby tanuki » Mon 12.18.2006 10:18 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Btw, has anyone played the other Made in Wario games?

I've played the Game Boy Advance game. It's really fun! :D
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Rounin T » Tue 12.19.2006 7:19 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
I've been meaning too, but since I work full time, there are only so many hours I can devote to games. :/

I hear that. Whatever happened to the carefree days? Wait, I think I remember... I started supporting a family. Not that I regret that, of course.

I still don't understand how region-freedom promotes piracy. If a system is region-coded, gamers who want to import will buy mod-chips, and nobody can stop them because mod-chips aren't inherently illegal. Neither is playing an imported game on a modded system, as long as the game was purchased through the proper channels. But once the mod chip is in place, piracy will be much easier. Especially now that Nintendo has switched to standard DVD-sized discs.

If the system is region free, it still has to be modified to play pirated games, and for importers, some or all of the motivation to mod is gone. Actually, I thought that was the whole reason Sony went region-free this time around (just about the only reason left to buy a PS3.)

So why didn't Nintendo follow suit? I understand the Nintendo of America thing, but if they can get around that with the handhelds, they should be able do do the same with consoles. And isn't NoA to Nintendo what SCEA is to Sony?

Nintendo is going to lose money from me on imports, because I'm too lazy to mod my Wii and too cheap to buy an additional Japanese console.
Rounin T

Postby flammable hippo » Tue 12.19.2006 10:12 pm

Need...wii... (brain short circuits...drools...falls to the floor)
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby naki_mushi » Wed 12.20.2006 2:01 am

flammable hippo wrote:
Need...wii... (brain short circuits...drools...falls to the floor)

Need...wii...as well... (brain shuts down and locks up in stasis) :|
Some Japanese Learning sites I use are:

Dictionary and Lessons and Grammar
[url=\"http://www.nihongoresources.com\"]Nihongo Resources[/url]

Dictionary, but limited. And beginner lessons.
[url=\"http://www.japanese-lessons-online.com\"]Japanese Lessons Online[/url]

Nice place to chat lol
[url=\"http://www.japanese-online.com\"]Japanese Online[/url]
naki_mushi

Return to Games