fbpx

0 Comments

March 1, 2023

Conversational Template: そんなことはない That’s not the Case!

Japanese Conversational Toolkit

That's not the case そんなことはない

Download Bonus Content for this Lesson Free of Charge!

We usually create bonus material for MakotoPlus.com members, but today's bonus download is free for all! Please download and enjoy free of charge, but if you like this kind of material, please click here to learn more about Makoto+. 

そんなことはない literally means "that matter is not."

That's not true. That's not the case. I should think not! No way! Don't be silly. Not really.

EXAMPLE CONTEXTS:

This is often used

• to deny any allegations (often for humility)
  • to softly encourage someone that the negative thing they are saying isn't true

そんなことはない can be a strong rebuke or a polite way to encourage someone. It is also often used to play down a compliment. It all depends on context and the tone of your voice.

VARIATIONS

いいえ、(ちが)います。

No, that’s not true. (This sounds more assertive and confident.)

そうではありません。

That is not the case. (This sounds more formal and distant.) 

会話(かいわ) Conversation #1:

(わたし)大失敗(だいしっぱい)しました。もう()わりだ。

I really messed up this time. It's over.

そんなことはないわよ。頑張(がんば)ったら、大丈夫(だいじょうぶ)よ。

That's not true. If you keep at it, it’ll be all right.

Vocabulary

会話(かいわ) Conversation #2:

わたし子育(こそだ)てにむいてないわ。

I'm not fit to raise children.

そんなことはないよ。きっといいお(かあ)さんになれるよ!

Don't be silly. I think you'll be a good mother.

Vocabulary

Want More? This Lesson is from a book that will be added to our Vocabulary Bundle.

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>