Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kamikaze Girls

Kamikaze Girls

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Kamikaze Girls

Postby Hatori » Tue 12.26.2006 7:41 pm

hi there. well, when i went to Borders today i saw that there was the movie Kamikaze Girls along with the manga and the actually novel. i thought the best thing to get was the movie because i'm hangingout with my BFF and i really need a new Japanese movie or an anime. and i really think this movie is HILARIOUS! i mean, it's just so corny in it's own way, but it has a good story and may seem a but unrealistic at times. to me this seems like a movie sort of how it'd show my personality. but i wouldn't know if that'd be the proper way to say it- but i'm close enough.
so, who else thinks this is pretty good?
i also love that it has some culture background to it and i have learned at least something new.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Kamikaze Girls

Postby GhoulsNightOut » Thu 12.28.2006 4:52 pm

I love the movie, I actully watched it when it had a showing in Atlanta :]. My mom even approved of it *laughs*

I was shocked though! The guy who makes Baby The Stars Shine Bright, that was him!! Because I got a Lolita Hello Kitty cell phone trinket and his face was in the paper that came with it xD;
GhoulsNightOut

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Thu 12.28.2006 5:43 pm

I love that book! I've never seen the movie, and I've only seen a teensy wittle preview for the manga but the book was great! I want to see how Baby the Stars Shine Bright products actually look...(They better be some pretty amazing things or I'm totally going to dicredit everything that lolita boy author says!)
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby GhoulsNightOut » Thu 12.28.2006 6:09 pm

No, it's really high quality for what they give you. I went to the store when I was visiting Japan and if you're into the frills and bows, it's your kind of store. All they sell is clothing and accessories, but you could've even bought all the clothes Momoko wore in the movie
(゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)(*・_・)ノ⌒* 織花..._〆(・∀・@) |・ω・`)コッショリ
GhoulsNightOut

Postby Obsessed_Saru » Thu 12.28.2006 6:26 pm

...That's it. I need to go to japan now. It's really expensive though isn't it? Yeah, I can't resist wearing lacy frilly things in public, Baby the Stars Shine Bright would be just too much of a temptation for me... ;)
There are no dumb questions, therefore, they are all of equal stupidity.
Obsessed_Saru

Postby GhoulsNightOut » Thu 12.28.2006 6:39 pm

Ahh, I won't lie. Baby the Stars Shine Bright is pretty expensive. [100-300$]But it's worth it because of the material, the handstitching the design. They really do professional work. There were some stores where I went into, where I thought it was murder to sell it for 150$ for a shirt you can probably do on your own..
If you want that kind of stuff at a cheaper price *so you're not buying the brand* In harajuku on the Takeshita St. They have this store on the side called "Body Line" I got a yukata loli dress for only 50 bucks *_____* i was freaking out on the store! Closet Child also has discounds on their clothes as well.
(゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)(*・_・)ノ⌒* 織花..._〆(・∀・@) |・ω・`)コッショリ
GhoulsNightOut

Postby datdo » Thu 12.28.2006 9:05 pm

is anyone else really creeped out?....
datdo

Postby baiduXlita » Fri 12.29.2006 9:18 am

yes yes. Love the movie. Great. Passionate. Perfection. Just like all anime.. well at least the "good kind" if you know what I mean.
something rather short of a fun-loving american...☆
☄love me or hate me☄
Japanese culture is turning into my life.

No.Muzic.NO.Life.♡

MiLK♡
baiduXlita

Postby Hatori » Sat 12.30.2006 9:21 pm

wow... the Baby store makes me cringe at the prices. XD even when i see a shirt for $20. *laughs til death*
but, i don't have a real job yet and yeah. i'm not into buying exspensive stuff. i learned well from mother. :D
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Lauma » Thu 02.01.2007 5:01 pm

sutch a cute movie, and the dresses *eye sparkle* :D
Lauma

Postby angstycoder » Thu 02.01.2007 5:33 pm

I understood none of this conversation.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby tanuki » Thu 02.01.2007 9:05 pm

I didn't even read the conversation, but I bet these "Kamikaze Girls" have a lot of trouble checking in at the airport.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby lemonaid » Thu 02.01.2007 9:10 pm

angstycoder wrote:
I understood none of this conversation.

*nods in agreement*
lemonaid

Postby Tajoumaru » Thu 02.01.2007 9:35 pm

I know this film, but by its original and more subdued title, 下妻物語. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though sans subtitles I only got about half the dialogue.
Tajoumaru

Postby ess_jay_arr » Mon 02.12.2007 4:49 pm

I love Shimotsuma Monogatari (Kamikaze Girls)! It's one of my favourite films, definately my favourite Japanese film.

I first saw it on late night Japanese TV the day before I was due to return home, I was just looking for something to keep me awake so I wouldn't miss my flight (again :P). I could hardly understand a word of it at the time, but as soon as I got back to England, I started looking for a subbed version online (well... as soon as I'd worked like a maniac for a week to make up lost time and meet my end-of-year deadline).

Anyway, I didn't know what it was called, or who was in it, or what channel I'd seen it on, so I did a google search with the only things I did know, "baby, the stars shine bright" and 'pachinko'. :P Amazingly enough, I found it, but it hasn't been released in England! So, I bought the American version, then shopped around and found some kindof hack disk to let me play Region 1 DVDs on my PS2. I was pretty determined to see this film again. :P

So, the hack disk thingy (which I got off Amazon, believe it or not) worked. Once. And never again. I was pretty annoyed. But still determined to own a rewatchable copy of this film. So, I ended up buying a Hong Kong VCD of the film with poor picture quality and hardcoded English and Chinese subtitles.

It was a long road, but it was worth it. This film is hilarious, and yet really moving in parts... well, one part, at least. The characters are awesome, they're larger than life, and yet... it's not too much of a stretch to imagine this happening in Japan. :P Also, the editing is cool. Ahh, it's been too long since my Media Studies classes to give a decent constructive review. And I've probably gone on long enough anyway.

So, yeah, I love this film. :D And thanks to anyone who bothered to read all that. :)
ess_jay_arr

Return to Japanese Movies and Music