Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - uploading an avatar

uploading an avatar

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

uploading an avatar

Postby Kidaver » Fri 12.29.2006 10:17 am

Hi,
I have an avatar with all of the correct dimensions and size, but when I click "update profile" it just crashes internet explorer and closes all of its windows,
can anyone suggest anything?
Cheers,
"Since love and fear can hardly co-exist together, if we must choose, it is far safer to be feared than loved"
Kidaver

RE: uploading an avatar

Postby paul_b » Fri 12.29.2006 10:21 am

Kidaver wrote:
I have an avatar with all of the correct dimensions and size, but when I click "update profile" it just crashes internet explorer and closes all of its windows,
can anyone suggest anything?

Firefox? :D

If the dimensions are correct then what about the file type? (N.B. Actual file type, not just extension).

Actually the _normal_ response to getting something wrong with the avatar file isn't "crash the browser" but "show a broken picture". If it's crashing Internet Explorer then my first suggestion might not be more appropriate than I first thought.
Last edited by paul_b on Fri 12.29.2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby Kidaver » Fri 12.29.2006 10:29 am

Hi,
I tried in .jpg and then also in .bmp but neither works.
lol its not firefox ;)

The image is uploaded at http://www.photobucket.com, and I pasted the [img] file [img] (or however it goes) into the avatar box, is this the right way, or am I making a complete fool of myself by doing it wrong lol?
Last edited by Kidaver on Fri 12.29.2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Since love and fear can hardly co-exist together, if we must choose, it is far safer to be feared than loved"
Kidaver

Postby paul_b » Fri 12.29.2006 10:36 am

Kidaver wrote:
Hi,
I tried in .jpg and then also in .bmp but neither works.
lol its not firefox ;)

I was suggesting you _try_ firefox.

The image is uploaded at http://www.photobucket.com, and I pasted the [img] file [img] (or however it goes) into the avatar box, is this the right way, or am I making a complete fool of myself by doing it wrong lol?

Er, you're doing it wrong.

That's how you do .sig images, not how you do the avatar image. There should be a "Browse" button or something, you just point it to the location of the image on your hard drive and it uploads it.
paul_b

Postby richvh » Fri 12.29.2006 10:38 am

Are you sure you read the appropriate [wiki=Just_the_FAQs#How_do_you_get_the_avatar_picture_to_appear_under_your_username.3F]FAQ[/wiki]? You upload your avatar to thejapanesepage.com, you don't host it at an external site.
Last edited by richvh on Fri 12.29.2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 12.29.2006 10:45 am

Debian? Mac? (I'm not going to recommend Slack to beginners)

Just curious, what version IE? It may just be coincidence, but I have read that even though it is released, IE7 still has many bugs, especially in non-english language support, and these bugs are worst in the east-asian language support (which is used on this site). I have also seen it break many web based applications. (I don't know how well it fares with PHPbb.) I have had to remove it from several machienes because it crashes with my county's real estate information system, which is used by almost every department of the township.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby paul_b » Fri 12.29.2006 10:47 am

richvh wrote:
Are you sure you read the appropriate [wiki=Just_the_FAQs#How_do_you_get_the_avatar_picture_to_appear_under_your_username.3F]FAQ[/wiki]?

Actually the FAQ entry isn't very good. I'd update it but I don't want to lose my current avatar :-P
paul_b

Postby Kidaver » Fri 12.29.2006 1:28 pm

Sorry I'm being a right fool lol; I'm used to other forums in the past where the image has to be uploaded onto another site beforehand,

Please forgive me for time wasting!
Last edited by Kidaver on Fri 12.29.2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kidaver

Return to Problems