Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My green goddess dictionary is here! {Largest Japanese Engl

My green goddess dictionary is here! {Largest Japanese Engl

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

My green goddess dictionary is here! {Largest Japanese Engl

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 07.21.2005 5:04 pm

新和英大辞典 第5版 並装

(Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary (Fifth
edition)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASI ... 82-8004212

Yep, I just opened it and its exceeding my expectations already. You see, it has American curse words in it. First word I looked up was a random was one from shin chan which turned out to be "shimatta".

Now most dictionaries give the 1930s U.S. style definition of "oh dear" "oh no" and if you're lucky -- very lucky -- you'll get "oh sh**"

Now my green goddess, it's a completely uncensored goddess. It says "f***" when it means it. It's nice to know I'll be getting my Japanese definitions uncensored :-)

Now this thing of mine is huge! Nearly 2800 pages of actual definitions with additional 200 or so of extras -- including the entire Japanese Constitution in both English and Japanese! I've never seen it before, so I think it'll make for some interesting reading :-)

There are no furigana to any of the kanji, however, the font is very clear that is used for them. I think anyone with an NTC kanji dictionary should be just fine .

The word order is in standard Japanese dictionary format and there are no romanization's: excepting the chart on one of the beginning pages that is used as a pronunciation guide and the facing page which gives a list of words in Romanized Japanese side-by-side with their standard Japanese counterparts.

The book comes with a laminated dark green cardboard slipcase to protect the pages {which is probably very necessary considering the thinness of the paper compared to most English hardcover publications.

You know, I squealed like a little girl when I opened the shipping box initially, and I even hugged my new dictionary a few times. Never thought I'd feel this way about a book, but I've been waiting a long time for this one. I've been hearing about it like Legendary Holy Grail of Dictionaries since I first started thinking about studying Japanese -- and that was years ago. I've got other things to do today, but now all I want to do is sit down and play with my new green toy.

Anybody else ever been this excited about new Japanese learning materials?

Or, am I officially a freak ;-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

RE: My green goddess dictionary is here! {Largest Japanese

Postby Justin » Thu 07.21.2005 6:41 pm

Yeah, I hear ya about being excited about getting new learning materials, I get the same way. I used to have some enormous paper dictionaries at one point too, nowadays though, I just don't know what I’d do without my Sharp PW-A8700 electronic guy.
Justin

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 07.21.2005 9:22 pm

I feel the same way about my new cannon C-50. Tiny, compact, keitai strap, and with over 86,000 words, 和英. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby mithrila » Thu 07.21.2005 10:15 pm

I hear ya on the Canon, except I had to figure out the C-55 on my own, because the manuel was in very unfamilier, technical Japanese. *cue Halleluia Chorus* A, the Canon C-55, I don't know how I've gotten around reading without it.:D
Best blond moment (said to a Japanese person):

\"Can you understand Anime without the subtitles on?\"

*sigh* I wish I could claim that one!
mithrila

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 07.21.2005 11:39 pm

There be no C-55. I thnk you're thinking of the G-55.

The C-50 is the smaller keitai cousin. It even has a new left side button for DOUBLE HANDED ACTION! =)

The C-50's manual was actaully really easy. I'm surprised the G-55 was that much of a pain. Although it does have more features.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips