Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - any history buffs?

any history buffs?

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

RE: any history buffs?

Postby Hatori » Mon 01.01.2007 9:48 pm

My history teacher tends to RAMBLE a lot. Once, he talked for the WHOLE CLASSPERIOD. And- he's my homeroom teacher, so he talks more than he does in one classperiod. My history teacher is really funny, though. We never get any homework and if we get homework it's usually reading a chapter or coloring/drawing. Our projects and presentations are easy enough for a MONKEY to complete with ease.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby mamba » Mon 01.01.2007 10:45 pm

Infidel wrote:
...The problem is all these people thinking they learned from history, when they really didn't.

You know there is a famous saying that goes with this, it is called
Hegel's Paradox:

"Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history."
mamba

Postby Kagemaru » Tue 01.02.2007 1:56 am

James Clavell's Shogun.

Started it all for me. Going back some years later to find how inaccurate it was on many counts also proved to be a joy.

Fantastic historical novel, I think for those just kicking off.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.02.2007 5:53 pm

Kagemaru wrote:
James Clavell's Shogun.

Started it all for me. Going back some years later to find how inaccurate it was on many counts also proved to be a joy.

Fantastic historical novel, I think for those just kicking off.

Lately, I've been thinking of read The Memoirs of a Geisha to spark my interest in at least some Japanese history.

Does anybody else think that may be a start?
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby flammable hippo » Tue 01.02.2007 6:29 pm

Lately, I've been thinking of read The Memoirs of a Geisha to spark my interest in at least some Japanese history.

I read that last year, AWESOME BOOK. I really got into it and it had a lot of Japanese culture references in it (duh) which sort of "broadened my knowledge" of Japan. You should read it.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby kanadajin » Tue 01.02.2007 7:21 pm

don't understand how people aren't bored with history

Just because you don't like doesn't mean no one else does. I'm sure theres something you like that someone doesnt.

I don't Like any history, except for Chinese history, I haven't really looked at Japanese history but I'm sure it's similar enough to Chinese. So I'd probably like it.
kanadajin

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.02.2007 9:15 pm

flammable hippo wrote:

I read that last year, AWESOME BOOK. I really got into it and it had a lot of Japanese culture references in it (duh) which sort of "broadened my knowledge" of Japan. You should read it.

I've had it for a reall long time now and I'm thinking I should maybe do it for a book report at school too. haha. It's like killing two birds with one stone. XD
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby ghosthacker » Mon 04.02.2007 2:16 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
I find Japanese history to be pretty interesting. In my whap (world history ap) class we have to learn about the jomon and heian periods, various shogunates (kamakura, ashikaga, tokugawa), Japan's isolation and relationship with Europe, some guy who I think his name is Hideyoshi something...

Toyotomi Hideyoshi perhaps? (He was an interesting guy..rose from a simply peasant to becoming a shogun)

Anyways ....Try watching Japanese historical TV dramas. Thats what sparked my interest.
Last edited by ghosthacker on Mon 04.02.2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Postby ghosthacker » Mon 04.02.2007 2:29 pm

Infidel wrote:
Kidaver wrote:
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" or however it goes

The problem is too many people tend to think of histoy as pre-human. Everyone who lived in history were like cavemen. Stupid. Yes we can read about the Jewish Holocaust, but that would never happen again, because we know better. Slavery will never happen again. The goverment will never turn against the people, because we are a democracy. Etc, etc.

Everything that happened in the past will happen again so long as people think that they are better, more special, and smarter, than historical figures. The problem is all these people thinking they learned from history, when they really didn't.

This is one of my pet peeves....People are alway so AMAZED that such and such a group built this or found that as if they where somehow not as smart as us!!!!

Lots of things change as we move forward in time, but the human mind is still the same as it has always been for thousands of years.

NOTHING makes us smarter then those who lived before us we just benefit from standing on their shoulders :)
ghosthacker

Postby Seapony » Mon 04.02.2007 2:35 pm

richvh wrote:
The problem isn't that history is boring (it isn't), but that (some/many) history teachers are boring.

Bingo. When you have to teach the same thing over and over day after day, I guess the monotony is infectuous. I remember that changed for me with my Global Studies HS teacher. She used to really amp up when we got to Asian studies because she taught for a few years in China and had many nostaligic stories to tell. She was also head of the International Club. Thanks to her, we had the best connections to all of the Consulates so every year for our show they would all loan us authentic costumes for our fashion show segment. It was the absolute BEST wearing such beautiful costumes. One of my favorite teachers of all time more than likely.

Memoirs of a Geisha is indeed a good primer glimpse into some history...I enjoyed it thoroughly because it's style reminded me of Amy Tan, another of my favorite authors. And I'm surprised Tony hasn't posted any good Japanese history site links here yet, *wink wink, nudge nudge*

;)
Seapony

Postby HeyItsMatt » Mon 04.02.2007 2:37 pm

Infidel wrote:
The problem is too many people tend to think of histoy as pre-human. Everyone who lived in history were like cavemen. Stupid. Yes we can read about the Jewish Holocaust, but that would never happen again, because we know better. Slavery will never happen again. The goverment will never turn against the people, because we are a democracy. Etc, etc.

Everything that happened in the past will happen again so long as people think that they are better, more special, and smarter, than historical figures. The problem is all these people thinking they learned from history, when they really didn't.

Very true. I could make some comments about historical awareness in relation to our current administration... but, I don't want to rub anybody the wrong way :)

I do think that people can only really appreciate democracy and freedom when they study history and realize how fragile they are, and how much responsibility they require. I think when people study history it's like the human race is learning from its mistakes - after all, you're going to burn yourself on the stove a whole lot if you keep forgetting you did it the first time.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Japanese history - I definitely intend to learn more about it though.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby AnimeGirl11 » Mon 04.02.2007 3:08 pm

I was history major in college specifically studying Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman Civilizations. And I was just fascinated by it. American History, however, bored the pants off me. I guess when it comes to history it is all a matter of finding what interests you. It did help that my college professor took us to Italy to study. And seeing all of the ruins up close and personal made it all that much more interesting. We weren't looking at pictures in books anymore. We were standing in front of the Coloseum and the Parthenon and all the other ruins that were had just been looking at in books. It was unbelievable BEING there. And I think that is what really did it for me. So find some part of history that interests you and then the thirst for more will come quite naturally. At least that my opnion. :D Good Luck.
AnimeGirl11

Postby angeljoanes » Mon 05.14.2007 8:43 am

Well, for me Japanese history is a great history. I love it... I already read Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's about the ambitious Oda Nobunaga, the calm Ieyasu Tokugawa, and the clever Hideyoshi Toyotomi... It's really a nice book. Inside the cover it's written:

If a bird refuse to sing:
Nobunaga: "Kill the bird"
Hideyoshi: "Make the bird want to sing"
Ieyasu: "wait..."

Anybody has read the book?
Dream of a lost soul is to be found
angeljoanes

Postby ghosthacker » Tue 05.22.2007 1:24 am

angeljoanes wrote:
Well, for me Japanese history is a great history. I love it... I already read Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's about the ambitious Oda Nobunaga, the calm Ieyasu Tokugawa, and the clever Hideyoshi Toyotomi... It's really a nice book. Inside the cover it's written:

If a bird refuse to sing:
Nobunaga: "Kill the bird"
Hideyoshi: "Make the bird want to sing"
Ieyasu: "wait..."

Anybody has read the book?

I have seen an old Jdrama about those three men that might have been based on that book, so I think I'll look into getting myself a copy :)
ghosthacker

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 05.22.2007 7:54 am

To think I've wasted away Saturday's reading history articles on the Wikipedia and someone doesn't like history.

Lots of things change as we move forward in time, but the human mind is still the same as it has always been for thousands of years.

Uh, not true. But let's not go down that path of discussion any further.
Gundaetiapo

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions