Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - America in Japan

America in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: America in Japan

Postby Humble_Kendoka » Thu 07.07.2005 8:10 am

A bit about ignorance in America (just my take on it):

I think it's a matter of exposure. A majority of people get their information about the rest of the the world from two sources: their education and their news media.

In the United States, the education system generally teaches courses about American and European history. Usually the European part is about who was fighting who when. Beyond America and Europe, though, no history is taught, excepting specialized classes in college. So beyond those two areas, education covers not much else.

The new media isn't much better at introducing Americans to things going on abroad. Practically every news source available domestically only covers international news if it has something to do with an impact on the US. Otherwise, usually, domestic news sources will merely ignore anything that's happening in any other country around the world, unless it's "dramatic" enough (i.e., lots of people die).

Since 2001, I've been getting most of my news from the BBC, merely because at least they cover international news. I cannot find a good US-based news source that covers a tenth of the issues going on in the rest of the world as I can at the BBC.

So, I think the problem really is "ignorance by lack of exposure", and frankly, I'd love to see it change.
Humble_Kendoka

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 07.24.2005 10:29 pm

i found that the japanese in general have a deep fascination for american culture. in fact, by the time i found myself in a kyoto love hotel with a statue of liberty theme, it no longer surprised me. anything american you could possibly want, you'll have no problem finding in japan. i think this had a lot to do with my total abscense of homesickness in japan. about the only thing i really missed was a good root beer....
skrhgh3b

Postby Gakusha » Mon 07.25.2005 12:01 am

Okay...When did this become a music and stupidity discussion? I think the author wanted to talk about brand names...
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby mayosta » Tue 08.09.2005 6:59 pm

I have always wondered if they get the show The Apprentice in Japan. I wonder what You're Fired would translate to in Japanese.
mayosta

Postby Gakusha » Wed 08.10.2005 1:05 am

Vengeance, you're getting the side of Americans that are sore losers and have nothing better to do with their time than play online games.

Also, Japanese don't exactly tolerate everyone's differences, either.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan