Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 星痕症候群

星痕症候群

Do you have a translation question?

星痕症候群

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 07.26.2005 12:43 pm

While reading about the upcoming Final Fantasy movie, Advent Children, I came across this term: 星痕症候群. I was able to discover with a dictionary that 症候群 means syndrom. 星痕 I can piece together and guess at but I have no idea how it is pronounced. What should I do in this situation. Should I just take the most common On-readings for 星 and 痕 and put them together? By the way, 星痕症候群 is Geostigma Syndrome in English.
Schattenjedi

RE: 星痕症候群

Postby Justin » Tue 07.26.2005 1:43 pm

As you guessed you would pronounce 星痕 by using the two most common on-reading, meaning you would pronounce it as 'seikon'.
Justin

Postby Gaijinian » Tue 07.26.2005 5:27 pm

痕跡 means 過去に何かがあったことを示すあと。あとかた。形跡。 I have never even seen 痕 other than that (ちなみに、常用漢字か?). So for a word so obscure (like "Geostigma"), I do not see much point in knowing the reading, unless your a hard-core 漢検合格者 wanna-be, or something.
Last edited by Gaijinian on Tue 07.26.2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby Justin » Tue 07.26.2005 6:17 pm

There's really no point in knowing the reading for 星痕 as it's just a made up word for what it seems like a Final Fantasy movie. It's probably just a bit of a play on words as there is 聖痕 which deals with stigma/stigmata stuff, and is also pronounced as 'seikon'. When it comes down to it though, none of those words are really used that often though, so it's not too big of a deal.
Justin

Postby coco » Tue 07.26.2005 7:08 pm

jediさん ガイジニアンさん justinさん。

星痕症候群というのは まったくの架空の病気のようです。
以下は、9月発売の アドベントチルドレンの紹介文からの抜粋。

-----------
繁栄の極みにあった魔晄都市「ミッドガル」は廃墟と化したが、人々は再建への道を確実に歩んでいた。だが、「星痕症候群」と呼ばれる脳の病が人々を苛む。治療法もなく、冒された者を次々と死に至らしめるこの病は、希望を取り戻しつつあった人々の新たな脅威となった。
-------------

ちょっと文章が難しいけど

要するに 「星痕症候群」 は 脳の病気 という設定のようです。

こんな病気、日本には(今のところ)ないから安心してね。;)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 07.28.2005 5:01 am

Gaijinian wrote:
So for a word so obscure (like "Geostigma"), I do not see much point in knowing the reading, unless your a hard-core 漢検合格者 wanna-be, or something.

The word was in a normal text describing a movie. That means that your average Japanese can read it. Therefore I think its quite plausible for me to learn this. And no, I'm not a kanji freak, I just want to be able to read normal texts.
Schattenjedi

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 07.28.2005 5:15 am

coco wrote:
要するに 「星痕症候群」 は 脳の病気 という設定のようです。

こんな病気、日本には(今のところ)ないから安心してね。;)

ホッとしました :D
Schattenjedi

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion