Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - AP Japanese

AP Japanese

The test - experiences, questions or comments

AP Japanese

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 01.07.2007 8:42 pm

If you didnt know it was approved back in 03 to actually become a test. 2007 is the first year it will be administered.

heres the info packet that College board gives about it

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downlo ... n-0607.pdf

I looked at it and Its pretty much around 3 kyuu I think...
If I can Im going to take it because....it looks easy and its college credit.. anyone else thinking about it?
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

RE: AP Japanese

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sun 01.07.2007 9:02 pm

Of course, the year after I graduate highschool they bring in AP Japanese...
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby datdo » Sun 01.07.2007 9:41 pm

I will take it if I can be ready for it by next year...

nvm 410 kanji...count me out.

and free response...

and speaking section...

lol what ever happened to nice easy multiple choice? And why is the Japanese SATII's between 4級 and 3級 but this between 3級 and 2級?
Last edited by datdo on Sun 01.07.2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
datdo

Postby Belie » Sun 01.07.2007 9:43 pm

My high school is doing it (I even get a free "preview test" of it in February, but I suspect it won't be much more than what already appears on the sample questions that you linked to), so I'll be giving it a try.
Last edited by Belie on Sun 01.07.2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get up, get out of bed, you can sleep when you are dead!
Belie

Postby angstycoder » Sun 01.07.2007 10:27 pm

I suck at multiple choice; free answer any time.

In response to "why the year after I graduate?"
At least your school offered Japanese :(
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby randomperson » Sun 01.07.2007 10:32 pm

My school was just talking about AP french,spanish, and german last year(btw it hasnt been made into a class yet) so i don't think my school will do that but i hope they do. i would take that test for the fun.
that is probably one of the best AP test formats i have seen, but it is a language.
To all those that are complaining about the speaking part be thankful they dont have that on the JLPT, even tho that might be fun.
Last edited by randomperson on Sun 01.07.2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 01.08.2007 12:06 am

angstycoder wrote:

When I was in school the only language offered was Spanish, and at the time there was no foreign language requirement. Since none was required and I could foresee no possible use for Spanish in Tennessee, I didn't take it.

Whodathunk that we'd ever have any of our Spanish-speaking neighbors to the south migrating to where we lived?

And back when I got out of the Navy in '86 and moved to Tennessee with my wife, we wanted to get some information about the possibility of her getting certified to teach Japanese in high school. That being the days before Algore invented the internet, we visited the Education Department of a local university to seek advice.

What we learned was that Tennessee didn't certify Japanese teachers. As an added bonus, we got the rhetorical editorial question, "Why would anybody want to learn Japanese?"

You young'uns don't know how good you have it.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Mon 01.08.2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Mon 01.08.2007 12:30 am

angstycoder wrote:

Haha, actually they didn't, I studied Japanese myself, but if I was graduating this year I could have atleast atempted the test.

Although from what everyone else here said I doubt I'd pass >.<
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby mamba » Mon 01.08.2007 12:38 am

Wow AP Japanese. In my last year of highschool, i took AP Spanish. Our teacher told us we have on chance, the AP Spanish was designed to trick native speakers, I imagine the Japanese one is almost like that.
mamba

Postby angstycoder » Mon 01.08.2007 1:05 am

It was some kind of tease. I grew up mostly in a fairly rural area of Ohio. We had Spanish (everyone took,) and French (no one except me and about 12 other people took.) French was my choice mostly because I went to Canada at least biannually. In any case, I had always wanted to learn German and Japanese. I poured over my dad's jr. high German book, studying off and on for years. Finally, just before my senior year, we moved to a new city. In the course catalogue, they had French, German, Spanish, Latin, Russian, and Japanese. I rejoiced, as I only had to take two actual credits of classes to graduate high school. And then I got the news: they had all been cut for new entry, only allowing those in the program to finish. They only kept French and spanish. Noooooezz! So close.
Last edited by angstycoder on Mon 01.08.2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Mon 01.08.2007 1:35 am

Our school has AP Spanish, French, and German. We were getting all excited over AP Japanese, but noooo, that's not going to happen. :( Maybe next year, apparently (because this year they've completely screwed up the foreign language department by trying to cut German and get Mandarin, for which they still can't find a teacher). I'll be in level 4 for my junior year, but as a senior I'll have to drop Japanese and find another class because they've taken away level 5 independent study (now if you're in "level 5" you just sit around another year in the level 4 class).

Mmmm AP. Me love you long time.
Strawberry_Juice

Postby datdo » Mon 01.08.2007 2:15 am

my school did the whole cut the language thing too. But they only took out German and English(now u have to speak English) and kept French, Spanish, Latin, and added Mandarin.
datdo

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 01.08.2007 6:38 pm

datdo wrote:

lol what ever happened to nice easy multiple choice? And why is the Japanese SATII's between 4級 and 3級 but this between 3級 and 2級?

SAT 2 is supposed to be based on a highschool scale

AP is supposed to be a college course.

Dont let the Kanji Scare you btw. I looked at the sample problems and they didnt seem that hard. Plus the AP is in May Im sure you can do a lot of studying until the time of the test. Nothing is impossible my friend!
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby datdo » Fri 01.19.2007 1:30 pm

the impossible is nothing....right...I wouldn't take it this year too which means more time to study...for the SAT II's...
datdo

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 01.19.2007 3:57 pm

angstycoder wrote:
It was some kind of tease. I grew up mostly in a fairly rural area of Ohio. We had Spanish (everyone took,) and French (no one except me and about 12 other people took.) French was my choice mostly because I went to Canada at least biannually. In any case, I had always wanted to learn German and Japanese. I poured over my dad's jr. high German book, studying off and on for years. Finally, just before my senior year, we moved to a new city. In the course catalogue, they had French, German, Spanish, Latin, Russian, and Japanese. I rejoiced, as I only had to take two actual credits of classes to graduate high school. And then I got the news: they had all been cut for new entry, only allowing those in the program to finish. They only kept French and spanish. Noooooezz! So close.

Different at my HS. My freshman year, I took Latin, which was dropped and added several times by the school. It eventually did run that year, but I had made so many changes to my schedule, that I didn't take it the second year. I ended up in French my sophomore and junior years because that was the language with the most classes. (If you were going to take a vocational program, it was almost a requirement to have 2 years of a foreign language) Other languages available while I was in school were German and Spanish. Japanese was added the year after I graduated.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Next

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test