Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do most of Japanese speak English ?

Do most of Japanese speak English ?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Do most of Japanese speak English ?

Postby ambition » Tue 07.26.2005 1:42 pm

Hi all,
I wonder if most of the Japanese speak English ?
And if wish saying that with approximating percentage , for example 50% of Japanese speak English ... this will make it easier for me ^_^

Also I would like to know in what school level English language is studied in Japan?

This lead to another question (please don't kill me :):o )
To how many levels are the Japanese schools are divided ?
in my country ( Qatar ) it is 3 levels : primarily , preparatory and secondary

Thanks a lot
Regards,
ambition

RE: Do most of Japanese speak English ?

Postby alarma » Tue 07.26.2005 2:35 pm

Well, let's see... most people in Japan speak some degree of English, but... they will be reluctant to speak it with you unless they have a fair amount of practice speaking English. Obviously this depends on where you go in Japan, but most Japanese people can understand basic English.

I made the assumption myself, and I visited a Medical School in Japan, where most of the doctors spoke English, and were very fluent, but many of the non-medically oriented people I met in Japan were very reluctant to speak English.

Also, get used to speaking English slowly. Actually, just bear in mind how hard it is for you to speak and understand Japanese and you won't go wrong. :)
Use every ounce of patience you have, study, and practice and practice and practice... then when you are tired, and you can\'t face another page of it, flip over the page and go through the whole process again. Every single day. For the rest of your life.
alarma

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 07.26.2005 9:51 pm

It all depends where you are, as to the level of English that is commonly spoken.

I went to tokyo and asked for directions to the train station. Seeing I was a foreigner, the japanese youth I asked responded in FLUENT, NATIVE NO ACCENT ENGLSH, and told me where the train station was.

The shop clerk in an upscale ginza curio shop said "Hi guys, what can I do for you today?" in a bronx accent.

Where I live in Gifu, I think the most amazing english I've heard from someone on the street is "You? American?"

Young people have more comminicative knowledge of english than the older generation, because of the recent change in the English Education system here. But they're still not good at speaking because of lack of practice and confidence. The older generation generally knows a lot of english words (sometimes words I don't know) but can't make sentences or carry on a conversation.

English is mandatory from Junior High School until Senior High School. However, many Elementary Schools and Kindergardens also have an English Program. In addition, many students study at after school english schools. There are more english schools in Japan than in any other country.

The Japanese school system is:
Elementary School - mandatory - 6 years
Junior High School - mandatory - 3 years
High School - optional - 3 years
College - optional - 4 years
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ambition » Fri 07.29.2005 10:25 am

alarma
Harisenbon

I don't know how to thank you .. I benefitted a lot from your replys
Thank you very much
^_^
ambition

Postby Ishikawa » Fri 07.29.2005 1:28 pm

I have tried to speak to some japanese into english,but i prefer improve my japanese...even the young japanese are poor at english...but is a reason to improve japanese....thnk u japanese people :)
A no hi ni kaeritai......
Ishikawa

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 07.30.2005 5:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that at the Keio school in Yokohama, the highschool students have to take English and the University Students have to take 2 languages, and one has to be English.
Shibakoen

Postby Rounin » Mon 08.01.2005 11:42 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
It all depends where you are, as to the level of English that is commonly spoken.

I went to tokyo and asked for directions to the train station. Seeing I was a foreigner, the japanese youth I asked responded in FLUENT, NATIVE NO ACCENT ENGLSH, and told me where the train station was.

The shop clerk in an upscale ginza curio shop said "Hi guys, what can I do for you today?" in a bronx accent.

Where I live in Gifu, I think the most amazing english I've heard from someone on the street is "You? American?"

Young people have more comminicative knowledge of english than the older generation, because of the recent change in the English Education system here. But they're still not good at speaking because of lack of practice and confidence. The older generation generally knows a lot of english words (sometimes words I don't know) but can't make sentences or carry on a conversation.

English is mandatory from Junior High School until Senior High School. However, many Elementary Schools and Kindergardens also have an English Program. In addition, many students study at after school english schools. There are more english schools in Japan than in any other country.

The Japanese school system is:
Elementary School - mandatory - 6 years
Junior High School - mandatory - 3 years
High School - optional - 3 years
College - optional - 4 years

Much of it was covered by Harisenbon. Although, some might say that the English lessons at the hisgh school level might not be that intensive. English lessons might sometimes be reduced to part memorization.
It\'s unfortunate, but for you this is utterly impossible. Swords cannot make an era. For this you need people.
Rounin

Postby ambition » Wed 08.03.2005 3:46 pm

Ishikawa
Shibakoen
Rounin

Thanks a lot
To be honest, I thought that Japanese people are more familiar with English
Especially the University students , I thought they study their courses in English as in many Asian countries.
I thought also that when I walk in Japan, it is easy to talk in English with anyone
but it seems things are not as I thought :)

I owe you for this information , thanks
ambition

Postby Apollo » Mon 10.24.2005 2:57 pm

I would guess some do, since English is one of the world's most popular languages, and that many countries have courses for them to learn it, I know that goes for most of Europe, Brazil and some of Africa, correct me if I'm wrong.
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan