Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Don't cry!

Don't cry!

Do you have a translation question?

Don't cry!

Postby Carma » Wed 07.27.2005 1:59 am

Hello everyone!

I hope someone here can help me! I am a teacher in Sweden and will soon have a Japanese boy in my class.

We try to learn some phrases in the native language to help the child in the beginning but there is one thing I would like to be able to say/ask in Japanese that I am having problems with.

Can anyone tell me how to say:

'Don't cry'

'Are you crying'

Crybaby

The parents have asked us to call the boy Kevin (!) - where do I put his name if I want to ask 'are you crying Kevin'?

Thank you so much for any help - please use romaji in answering!!
Carma

RE: Don't cry!

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 07.27.2005 5:11 am

there's a little-known but highly amusing japanese comic strip called "nakuna! tanaka-kun," or "don't cry, tanaka-kun!" if you want to tell him not to cry, maybe you can say, "naku-na, kevin-chan." "naku-na" is the negative command form of the verb "naku," "to cry." but it doesn't matter if you put his name at the beginning or the end of your sentence, same as english.

"are you crying?" = "naite iru no?"
"crybaby" = "naite iru kodomo"
skrhgh3b

Postby Justin » Wed 07.27.2005 6:05 pm

Personally, I would be a little reluctant as a teacher to use “nakuna” if you’re looking to tell him to don’t cry. Well, I mean you could if you want to be kind of strict with the kid, otherwise though, I would rather use something more like “nakanaide” which will come off as being a lot more caring.

Just be kind of careful with using Japanese though, as in the end you might be doing more harm than good depending on how things come across. You wouldn’t want him running home scared half to death when his new teachers tell him to “don’t cry you crybaby” by using something like 泣くなよ泣き虫めぇ!

Any who, has anyone sat down with the boy’s parents and see what they would like to have done? Maybe they would be able to give you a bit of a hand too, as even if you gathered all the different words you’d like to say, if don’t know how to properly pronounce things, all your hard work might go to waste.
Justin

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.27.2005 8:57 pm

I completely agree with Justin. Telling a child nakuna is really harsh. I would also recommend sitting down with the parents and talking about A) whether they WANT you to use any Japanese with the child B) what they think would be good phrases to use with the child.

I think that if they're telling you that his name is Kevin, they don't want him to be treated special in class. I know I have a chinese boy in my 1st grade class, and I have to resist trying to speak to him in chinese because it might make feel like he stands out more than he does.

If you really do need/want to speak to him with some simple Japanese phrases, these are tw good ones.
Here might be some good ones.

"Are you ok?" -dai-joe-bu-no?

"Don't cry" (kind) - nah-kah-nai-deh-neh

You don't usually add peple's names when you're talking to them directly. If you want to single him out from a group, first say his name as a seperate sentence, and then follow up with one of the phrases above.

Good luck
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby coco » Thu 07.28.2005 1:16 am

語調が強いと思われるものから 順に並べてみました。
異論もあろうかと思いますが、ひとつの意見としてご参考までに。
(どなたか親切な方が訳して下さることを期待して)

”Don't cry”

なくな!    na-ku-na (通常、女性社会人は使いません)
なくなよ! *   na-ku-na-yo   ( 同上 )
なかない! na-ka-na-i (男女ともに使用しますが、男性の方がより使うと思われます)
なかないの! na-ka-na-i-no
なかないで!* na-ka-na-i-de
(以下は女性の方がより好んで使う言い方です)
なかないでよ! na-ka-na-i-de-yo
なかないでね。 na-ka-na-i-de-ne

なお、*の語尾を伸ばすと 阜サが和らぎ、叱るというより、困惑を現した命令語になるように思います。ex 「なくなよー」 「なかないでー」

”are you crying ”

ないてる(ん)のか?  na-i-te-ru(n)-no-ka ?   (これは通常、女性社会人は使いません)
ないてる? na-i-re-ru ?
ないてる(ん)の? * na-i-te-ru(n)-no?

(以下、子供を案じる教師としては、客観的阜サですが、参考までに) 
ないてる(ん)ですか? na-i-te-ru(n)- de-su-ka?     
ないているんですか? na-i-te-i-ru-n-de-su-ka ?
ないているのですか? na-i-te-i-ru-no-de-su-ka?  

「ないてるのー? 」「ないてんのー?」と語尾を伸ばすと、「あーらら、この子ったら、泣くなんて恥ずかしいでしょ」というニュアンスが感じられ、心配よりも嗜めの気持ちが浮黷ス阜サであるように感じられます。

次に子供の名前をどこに入れるかについてですが、

「泣くなケビン!」 「ケビン!泣くな!」のどちらでもよいと思われます。
「ケビン、ないてるのか?」「泣いてるのか?ケビン」も同様です。

もし、質問者の方が女性であれば、ケビン君の母親に普段どのような言葉で
「Dont、cry」や「are you crying」を阜サしているのか、
諫める気持ちの強さとともに聞いておくことをお勧めします。
質問者が男性の方であれば、同様に父親へ。
家庭での会話との落差が少ない方が親子ともに抵抗が少ないと思うからです。

Justin wrote:

Just be kind of careful with using Japanese though, as in the end you might be doing more harm than good depending on how things come across. You wouldn’t want him running home scared half to death when his new teachers tell him to “don’t cry you crybaby” by using something like 泣くなよ泣き虫めぇ!

「泣くなよ、この泣き虫めぇ」というのは、
crying baby がいきなり、下町のやんちゃ坊主になったようで、
おもしろい訳ですね。これ聞いたら、親の方が腰抜かすかも。:)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby skrhgh3b » Thu 07.28.2005 3:40 am

you mean, teachers aren't harsh these days? eheheh. 「泣くな!うるせいバカやろう!」 sorry, i just watched 『菊次郎の夏」....
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Thu 07.28.2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
skrhgh3b

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion