Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - って

って

Do you have a translation question?

って

Postby Darkslime » Fri 07.29.2005 10:22 pm

I've been going through a bit of learning materials(as well as anime) and I keep noticing that って is added on to the end of words a lot. Mostly nouns and people's names. Can anyone tell me exactly what it's used for?
Darkslime

RE: って

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 07.30.2005 3:14 am

If I'm not mistaken, this particle is tantmount to the と particle. Whenever you see a clause ending in って, the clause is to be understood to be an abridged form of "「something」って言った"

Perhaps you should wait for someone else's input, as I am not so terribly skilled at this language...;)
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Sat 07.30.2005 4:52 am

Correct, って marks the part that comes before it as a quote and subordinate clause which can be modified by select verbs such as 聞く and 言う.

e.g.: くだものを買ったって聞いたんです。 "I heard that you bought some fruit."

って differs from と in that it can also be used for things that are actually being said. That prevents one from using verbs like 思う, which work fine with と.
Schattenjedi

Postby netarou » Sat 07.30.2005 5:22 am

「って」 is stressed 「は」 and only used in casual conversation.
Examples:
「これってレアもんじゃない?」≒「これはレアもんじゃない?」 ※レアもん=レア物 レア=rare
「それってさあ、単なる勘違いじゃない?」≒「それはさあ、単なる勘違いじゃない?」
「やっぱ天才だな、俺って。」≒「やっぱ天才だな、俺は。」 ※やっぱ=casual やはり
「火星ってどんなとこ?」≒「火星はどんなとこ?」 ※とこ=casual ところ

And 「って」 is also a casual 「と」 as CviCvraeVtMoriarさん mentioned.
Example:
「あいつがお前のこと褒めてたよ。最高だ、って。」≒「あいつがお前のこと褒めてたよ。最高だ、と。」

日本語って簡単でしょ?:)
netarou

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Sat 07.30.2005 7:10 am

It just occurred to me that you may have been talking about the -te form of verbs. Certain verbs change to って in the -te form:

The -te form of verbs - whose endings are tsu, ru (excluding -iru/-eru verbs), or u - is: root + って.

e.g.:

待つ ---> 待って
建つ ---> 建って
育つ ---> 育って
打つ ---> 打って
たまる ---> たまって
閉まる ---> 閉まって
配る ---> 配って
踊る ---> 踊って
切る ---> 切って (Note: This is transliterated 'kiru', but it is not an '-iru' verb. This is one of a few spurious -iru/-eru verbs. These are to be treated as -ru verbs.)
迷う ---> 迷って
追う ---> 追って
違う ---> 違って
会う ---> 会って
願う ---> 願って

edit***

Here is a list of some of the spurious iru/eru verbs to help you out ;) :

切る To Cut
入る To Enter
散る To Fall/Scatter (e.g. blossoms).
混じる To Get Mixed
参る To Go/Come (Honorific)
握る To Grasp
知る To Know
限る To Limit
走る To Run
しゃべる To Chat
減る To Decrease
茂る To Grow Thick
ける To Kick
帰る To Return
照る To Shine
滑る To Slide
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Sat 07.30.2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Darkslime » Sat 07.30.2005 9:23 am

I wasn't actually talking about the verb ending; I realized there could've been a mix-up when I was falling asleep last night.

Thanks for all that information, guys. It really helps! ^_^
Darkslime

Postby sampaguita » Fri 08.05.2005 5:09 am

I read that -tte is an abbreviation of "to iu no wa", something like, "as for the (thing) called ___"
sampaguita

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion