Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby Silvanoshei » Sun 01.14.2007 10:12 pm

datdo wrote:
wow...that was more than i expected...yeah but is Kaoru really gay? Some ppl say he isn't cuz hes not really human and you also can't really be sure if hes male or female as with many other anime characters.
My friends like to discuss whether Rei harbored any feeling toward Shinji. It could just be motherly love cuz shes basically made with his mom's soul but it also could be more...

I'd just like to say Rei was probably the most confused characters in NGE. Givin' Shinji's depression and Asuka's Ego problem, Rei had it tough all the way through. She didn't know who she was, her memories were jumbled because of the dummy jumps, and she didn't know how to feel for Shinji. I like to think, Rei finally found herself in the end after Gendo tried to take her life to activate 3rd impact, and in that instance she had feelings for Shinji.

As for Rei being Shinji's mom, I like to just think Shinji's mom was the Evangelion Rei was using and any sort of mother effection you may have seen would be from memories Shinji's mom would have given Rei.

End note: I like to think this series is just confusing because when it was being made the creator was going through a horrific depression stage lol. Which I find funny, so anything not making any sense would be his feelings shown up on stage through Shinji. (Mainly the Ending!) And yeah... they have symbols (Christianity) in NGE, but as far as Religion is concerned, it's all based on what YOU want to think it means! Creator just put it out on the table as flashy effects with no real thought put in lol. Hence why so many people get confused as to "What did the end mean?)

Ja na! B)
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 5/46
Silvanoshei

Postby neo2407 » Sun 01.14.2007 10:49 pm

Silvanoshei wrote:
End note: I like to think this series is just confusing because when it was being made the creator was going through a horrific depression stage lol. Which I find funny, so anything not making any sense would be his feelings shown up on stage through Shinji. (Mainly the Ending!) And yeah... they have symbols (Christianity) in NGE, but as far as Religion is concerned, it's all based on what YOU want to think it means! Creator just put it out on the table as flashy effects with no real thought put in lol. Hence why so many people get confused as to "What did the end mean?)

Actually NGE's creator (Hideki Anno) had already recovered from his depression when he made Eva.
And the symbolism isn't just limited to Christianity, it also has Kabbalah, Jewish, Gnosticistic, and Freemasonry references.

If you look closely it makes sence. One tiny example is, in The End of Evangelion you see the Japanese Prime Minister's office with a pendulum swinging across the screen. Now with a little research you can find out that in King Solomon's Temple (a King from the Bible) there was a pendulum (don't know the size).
Now if you think, what is/was a King? Someone that ruled/rules a country.
And what does a Prime Minister? Someone that rules a country. A PM is basicly a King.

If you buy a book called Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, it should explain quite a few things (according to the commentary on the Eva Platinum box set, I'm only about pages through lol).
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby Silvanoshei » Mon 01.15.2007 7:50 am

neo2407 wrote:
Actually NGE's creator (Hideki Anno) had already recovered from his depression when he made Eva.
And the symbolism isn't just limited to Christianity, it also has Kabbalah, Jewish, Gnosticistic, and Freemasonry references.

If you look closely it makes sence. One tiny example is, in The End of Evangelion you see the Japanese Prime Minister's office with a pendulum swinging across the screen. Now with a little research you can find out that in King Solomon's Temple (a King from the Bible) there was a pendulum (don't know the size).
Now if you think, what is/was a King? Someone that ruled/rules a country.
And what does a Prime Minister? Someone that rules a country. A PM is basicly a King.

If you buy a book called Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, it should explain quite a few things (according to the commentary on the Eva Platinum box set, I'm only about pages through lol).

Depression is deep within' ones heart, you can't just throw it out the window one day and say you're cured. ^^; (By the way, never cure your depression with drugs (pill form), very bad for you.)

I have heard the actors commentary, and their thoughts on what they think is going on. Thats all in their assumptions though, just like ours, unless you heard a commentary with Hideki Anno saying "this is what this means and that". If so I'd really like to hear that!! See'ing what he thinks his movie means would be awesome.

Why would you say a PM is like a king? PM does not have absolute control, just a leader figure with checks and balances. A king has complete control over everything, even what his people do with their lives. In my opinion the pendulum is there with no hidden meaning besides having background. The biggest concern I have with it is the fact it makes a ominous sound that gets under your skin!

Note: Don't take offense to my post! I'm very direct with these kind of discussion. Please forgive me Neo-san!^^;; I like how NGE stirs conflict!
Hiragana: 46/46
Katakana: 5/46
Silvanoshei

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions