Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Post Searching Bug(?)

Post Searching Bug(?)

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Post Searching Bug(?)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.16.2007 10:36 pm

Hidey-ho,

I've been noticing a bug when I use the superview page. I have it set to show me all the posts since my last visit, but when I click to go to the next page, the second page (or third, or fourth) is empty.

I assume it has to do with the server recognizing my login when I enter the superpage, and thus thinking that my last login was 10 seconds ago.

Sorry for the crappy English.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

RE: Post Searching Bug(?)

Postby angstycoder » Wed 01.17.2007 12:11 am

Solution: log in more ;)

I'll try to stay away long enough to duplicate.

Could be that it thinks all are seen after you load page one so nothing to show, or it simply isn't getting the data over there (or getting all of the data). Just rough gueses. I don't know if this uses cookies for last visit, or something else from the system itself.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.17.2007 1:02 am

Solution: log in more

Well, your prime posting time is my 3am, so that's not really an option. ;)
Just waking up in the morning I have a good 2 pages of new posts.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ashitaka » Wed 01.17.2007 1:41 am

Just rough gueses. I don't know if this uses cookies for last visit, or something else from the system itself.

It does, a cookie blocker could have something to do with it.
ashitaka

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 01.17.2007 1:43 am

it's a known bug that i haven't been able to fix. :)

solution: click on the second (third, etc) page link, go to the location entry box of your browser, change the "since=l" to "since=1d" or "(3 or 4)d" depending on how many days you have been away...

the "since=l" (last visit) function is broken in some odd way, it *should* work, but it doesn't. :)
so the solution is to use the "since=#d" (days) function, which does work. and for some reason, the folder icons will still change based on your last visit time...

so 'last visit' is slightly broken unless you visit often enough that there is only one page of new posts. otherwise, it's better to use the '#d' (since # days ago) version which works (grrr... PHP-Fusion) and rely on the different folder icons to tell you when you've reached things that you've already seen... make sense?

also see: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/superviewhelp.php which is at least a little bit of help.... if you are away for a longer time, '#d' (days), '#w' (weeks), '#m' (months), '#h' (hours)... are also available. the time based features work better than the "since last visit" version. as of yet, i have not been able to figure out just why the "since last visit" version doesn't work as expected. :(

if i were you, i would just choose the "since '1 week'" option at the top, and then open the seperate pages in tabs until the folders change. if you start at page one, and then read stuff, and it takes you long enough reading for PHP-Fusion's idea of "last visit" to get updated, then you will be sorta screwed... it's better to open all of the pages in seperate tabs relatively quickly so you can find the page where the folders change icons. that is the true 'last visit' mark.
zengargoyle

Postby angstycoder » Wed 01.17.2007 12:47 pm

If you want you can PM me the code for a second set of eyes. Not that I doubt you at al, just trying to be helpful.
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby tanuki » Wed 01.17.2007 1:56 pm

I always change it to "newer than 2 days" because I don't trust that "newer than last visit".

When I'm away for longer than 2 days (not common), I just put "newer than 1 week".
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Return to Problems