Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop

Postby jaela » Sun 07.17.2005 5:24 am

you shouldn't get discouraged. believe me, it's worth it. and take note of mugen's break dance atyle of fighting!! i'll bet you have never seen anything like it. you gotta watch it in japanese audio though ..

as for bebop, i think that's the only anime wherein i prefered the dubbed version rather than the original, which is rare for me.
jaela

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 07.17.2005 3:10 pm

Yeah, I noticed the spoiler, too. That was a HUGE goof on meezes part, but I'm still going to watch though because it's a great series. There's so much I want to see: does Fuu-chan find the Sunflower-Smelling Samurai? Is he her father, as I suspect? I also theorize that he's a foreigner. What did the assassin from the Oniwaka episode know about the Sunflower-smelling Samurai? Does he fight Jin again? What does the little skull chatchkie have to do with anything? Anyway, there are still a lot of loose ends that I'm curious about so I'm definitely looking forward to the release of disc 4 this month. If meezes is right about Mugen, I still want to know how, and it definitely gives me something to look forward to (after all he's not my favorite character and I do think Jin could take him).

BUT NOTE TO ALL READERS!!! I DON'T WANT ANSWERS TO ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS!!! PLEASE NO MORE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD! I just wanted to demonstrate how there's still a lot to go in the series even if meezes' spoiler is true.
Shibakoen

Postby jaela » Mon 07.18.2005 8:14 am

lucky me that i have already finished the series then!! and as promised, i won't offer any spoilers here .. just hurry up so that we can discuss already! (not here of course, or we may get butted outta here!!)

you really have a lot to look forward to in season 2.... :D
jaela

Postby Christian_ » Mon 07.18.2005 12:30 pm

weeezes wrote:
i just got every episode of samurai champloo whatced trough.. few last episodes were so SAD, cuz of Fuu's toughts.. i allmost started to cry when i tought that my fav char died (Mugen!!!).. And i was happy cuz Jin survived hes last attack.. i just love every episode :D!! That where Mugen learns to read rulz...
thanks for the spoiler lol.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Postby soldierNeptune312 » Thu 07.28.2005 3:25 pm

personally,i like samurai champloo alot better than cowboy bebop-i think it has way more plot than bebop....
soldierNeptune312

Postby Steve_Poppers » Thu 07.28.2005 3:54 pm

I think I like Bebop because of the detail in everything. It's so much higher than in Champloo. Also, it might be because I've seen all of Bebop, but the characters seem a lot more developed than anything else. What with all the flashbacks and their pasts finally coming together. The scheme of the series is so amazingly grand.

BTW, was Jhonny Bosch a power ranger?:o I could have sworn I heard his voice while watching an old episode. I was just watching for kicks, don't worry.
Last edited by Steve_Poppers on Thu 07.28.2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only I had more answers than questions...Wouldn\'t that be nice...
Steve_Poppers

Postby Opgots » Fri 07.29.2005 4:40 pm

Yes, Johnny Bosch was a power ranger. He played "Adam" in the 2nd through 5 seasons I believe. I was a big power ranger fan when I was younger.

I dont find Champloo very appealing. Ill watch it when its on, but if I miss it, (I record them) itll take me weeks to watch em. They just dont fill me with any enthusiasm. It has nothing to look for to for me. There was something so much better about Bebop. I think I might have just liked the characters in Bebop more. Mugen vs Spike (Sounds like Sugar and Spice almost ne?), Faye vs Fuu, and Jet vs Jin. The Bebop characters have my vote. Although Jin is great in his own right.

Yes, Champloo has more of a plot than Cowboy Bebop. Thats only because Bebop had no real story line. It was bounty hunters and their stories of misfortune until the end. Champloo is the story of 2 Swordsmen and a young girl in search of the mysterious "Sunflower Samurai." That however doesnt make it any better than Bebop. Its not as though the majority of things done in Champloo are seriously meaningful aside from "we keep moving forward in search."

I found Bebop to have better music as well. Who can compare the timeless "Tank" to "Battlecry" though good in its own right? "The Real Folk Blues" to "Shiki no Uta." Although, I am quite fond of "San Francisco," but I find "Blue" to be better nonetheless.

Theres some more to rant on but, Im lazy.
-------------
Nemuritai...

The pleasure of a dream is in its fantasy. If it ever comes true, it was never a dream.
Opgots

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 07.30.2005 5:35 pm

Opgots and Steve_Poppers, just wondering if you guys watch Samurai Champloo in Japanese or in English on Adult Swim. If your only exposure to the series is what's on Adult Swim, I must say you're really missing out...
Shibakoen

Postby kydancer0123 » Sat 07.30.2005 5:43 pm

I've just recently started watching both of them, but they're both awesome. I'd have to say they both come second on my list for favorite anime. Fuu's my fav in SC and either Faye or Spike is my fav in CB. :)
Last edited by kydancer0123 on Sun 07.31.2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kydancer0123

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 07.31.2005 5:02 pm

Faye or Spike? Naa... Ed's awesome! Faye's hot for a cartoon character, but Ed cracks me up. Do you watch in Japanese? Japanese Fuu is such a great voice over. And curse the Disc 4 cliffhanger! Gotta wait until September for disc 5.
Shibakoen

Postby Opgots » Sun 07.31.2005 7:43 pm

Shibakoen,

I watch the AS version, as I did with Cowboy Bebop. If I liked Cowboy Bebop through the AS version, and I find the AS version of Champloo somewhat tedious, I dont see where my standards fail me.

Furthermore, I understand why it would be better to watch the Japanese, and yet, I find it unnecessary. How much damage has AS done to the episodes? If the dubbed version of the show doesnt even make me slightly interested, Im really not interested in persuing it with any more effort than I all ready have.
-------------
Nemuritai...

The pleasure of a dream is in its fantasy. If it ever comes true, it was never a dream.
Opgots

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 07.31.2005 11:49 pm

Well, as for me, I watch AS then I get the DVD. I do find the Bebop characters to be a bit more interesting. I haven't seen the japanese Bebop, but I think someone said the english was better. I don't think I'm missing out on much either.
If only I had more answers than questions...Wouldn\'t that be nice...
Steve_Poppers

Postby jaela » Mon 08.01.2005 8:16 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Faye or Spike? Naa... Ed's awesome! Faye's hot for a cartoon character, but Ed cracks me up. Do you watch in Japanese? Japanese Fuu is such a great voice over. And curse the Disc 4 cliffhanger! Gotta wait until September for disc 5.

ed's the greatest!! i wish i'm like her in real life (well, the hacking part anyway!!:D:D) i watch it in english coz it really is better .. but for samurai champloo, japanese is the way to go ...

up to what ep is disc 4 by the way? i think out releases here are different, coz we don't have disc 5 (unless there's a third season...) :p
jaela

Postby Kazuki » Wed 08.03.2005 9:44 am

I have only just heard of the samurai champloo series from this thread and yesterday was the first time I evr looked at the artwork!
I have gotta say though it looks incredible on paper but i havent yet seen the series could anyone tell me the basic storyline? -of course without the spoilers:D
Kazuki

Postby jaela » Wed 08.03.2005 1:38 pm

three unlikely people meet, and then they stick together because the girl fuu wants to find the sunflower samurai, which you would think is related to her .. in the meantime, the two guys act like her body gurads exept for the fact taht they sometimes try to dirch her (okay, that was a semi-spoiler :p)

they go on a journey and have a lot of fun, (and fighting amongst themselves AND bad guys) ...

definitely one of my faves ... :):):)
jaela

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions