Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Good cross platform Japanese word processor

Good cross platform Japanese word processor

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Good cross platform Japanese word processor

Postby randomerror » Sun 07.31.2005 1:03 pm

I have been using the Japanese word Processors iText and LightWayText for a while now, and they are really awesome! There are English versions available, but, I have been using the Japanese version, and it's for Windows, Mac OS X, and Mac OS Classic.

LightWayText is not free though, but I have been using the trial version, but it has more features than iText. iText is free though, but it does have some nice features, such as you can write vertical(and horizontal, and all the features of a basic text editor. LightWayText can also do the traditional Japanese writing paper, that is vertical, and each symbol goes in a box (I forget the word for this =\ ) , and it has a nicer interface, and more stuff.

Clay, You should add links to these word processors on your Links page =D

Link to download these programs : http://homepage1.nifty.com/lightway/
The English version is at a different site, but I think you would want the Japanese version (It isn't too hard to navigate through)
randomerror

RE: Good cross platform Japanese word processor

Postby Spaztick » Sun 07.31.2005 6:40 pm

Cool! I'll be adding this to the FAQ. Neat that it's cross platform, that's be nice to use. I think you might be able to use Word and have it cross platform if the other computer supports the font, but I haven't tried.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: Good cross platform Japanese word processor

Postby randomerror » Sun 07.31.2005 7:18 pm

I think the most recent Word is pretty good with cross platform compatability, but I have only tried to open English documents made by Windows users in my OS X version, never tried Japanese...

But what is nice with iText, is that it is free! And the programs are pretty popular in Japan =]
randomerror

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips