Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Handwriting (Hiragana)

Handwriting (Hiragana)

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: Handwriting (Hiragana)

Postby MGNSMG » Sat 01.20.2007 9:54 pm

Ahh, that's cool angsty.....I remember the kanji for sun and moon(but don't readily know their entire range of pronounciations), and I know the first 10 of course(the numbers), but only their Chinese pronounciation...Japanese, only a few I guess. And I know some others here and there, and mostly, I just recognize some like water/fire/wood-tree-spirit/gold/kami.

Ahhh it'd be nice if I could remember a good deal of them. I guess that's why I got on here, even though I don't really look around. Hrm. I think more than anything I need vocab and a more solid foundation of understanding on grammar...err, more than just 'it's backwards, with the verb tacked on the end'. ;P

That, and they talk too fast for me. :S Even the small video on planets(which was cool), and even with the kana right in front of me, I was like 'wait, what, slow down!'

Ahhh, so let's see. More kanji, vocab, grammar-understanding, and pretty much everything-else. Yeah, I'm gettin' there alright...>_>;; Ahh well, at least I have some knowledge about the language and all, something of a hobby at least...
MGNSMG

Postby neo2407 » Sat 01.20.2007 9:57 pm

angstycoder wrote:
neo2407 wrote:
Thanks. I've tried making my か's more round, but I can't do it for some reason or they just don't look right. I'll keep practicing though.

One more thing, I've memorized most Hiragana but I'm having a really big problem with Katakana. I have no idea why, it's kinda weird.

I have the same problem. I can write the hirigana in any order you ask me to, in words, etc. katakana I can often recognize in things, but if I sit down and try to write them out, I draw a huge blank. They look waaaay too similar to me. The only hirigana that ever really got me were

たに、and れわね

katakana, however strangely, is another matter entirely.

ンャmシツ

フワクヌ

ラテ

ナメ

some of them are more decipherable in this font than any other books, but still.... aargh!

Those are the exact same I have trouble with (including the Hiragana). Although I do know the Katakana ラ, 'cause when I had a Christmas job someone asked me to translate Rebecca in to Japanese ('cause a friend of theirs was supposed to have Rebecca in Japanese tattooed on their arm) and she wanted to know if it was right.
Never found out if the tattoo was right or not...doubt it was though.

EDIT: Did the font of the entire site change? All the text looks alot smaller now.
Last edited by neo2407 on Sat 01.20.2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wii Friend Code: 0386 9779 0910 4312
Animal Crossing: Wild World Friend Code: 4381-7315-3908
neo2407

Postby tanuki » Sat 01.20.2007 10:03 pm

neo2407 wrote:
I do know the Katakana ラ, 'cause when I had a Christmas job someone asked me to translate Rebecca in to Japanese

I'll be curious: How did you transliterate "Rebecca" using ラ?

EDIT: Did the font of the entire site change? All the text looks alot smaller now.

I don't think so. Change your browser's text size (you may have changed it accidentally).
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby MGNSMG » Sat 01.20.2007 10:24 pm

Doubt I can speak for the original poster, but sometimes the name IS kinda pronounced 'ra beck ka'(english syllable-ish) rather than 'ree beck ka'. Might depend on the area they live in, or just the preference of the person who is named that.

I dunno what I naturally say. Might be ra-beck-ka that I'd normally use, not sure....s'been a long time since I've known people by that name...*shrug*
MGNSMG

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 01.20.2007 10:39 pm

shikaze wrote:
My handwriting's better than your's! :p

That is astoundingly rude, especially when you don't even post your own work for criticism, or give any specific help!

The purpose of this forum is for people to get help, not get bashed by people with 48 posts that don't even demonstrate their own level.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Sat 01.20.2007 10:49 pm

I CAN PROBABLY WRITE DOUBLE AS WELL THAN ALL OF YOU CAN COMBINED.

----

The purpose of this forum is for people to get help, not get bashed by people with 48 posts

Yeah, you should wait 'til you get 50 to start bashin'. :)
Last edited by tanuki on Sat 01.20.2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby shikaze » Sat 01.20.2007 11:24 pm

I WAS JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get all offensive!
I'm awesome and U know it!!!
shikaze

Postby neo2407 » Sat 01.20.2007 11:43 pm

MGNSMG wrote:
Doubt I can speak for the original poster, but sometimes the name IS kinda pronounced 'ra beck ka'(english syllable-ish) rather than 'ree beck ka'. Might depend on the area they live in, or just the preference of the person who is named that.

I dunno what I naturally say. Might be ra-beck-ka that I'd normally use, not sure....s'been a long time since I've known people by that name...*shrug*

That's almost the way it's pronounced here. Here we pronounce it "ra-be-ka" or sometimes "ra-bek-a", the former is the most commonly used pronunciation though.

And about my "new" browser font, I haven't touched the settings in months. And with the font this small, it's hard to see Kanji clearly. It just looks like a small black block, not that I would know the Kanji anyway lol.
EDIT: I just checked other websites and there's no change of font size there. It's only on this site, weird.
Last edited by neo2407 on Sat 01.20.2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neo2407

Postby angstycoder » Sat 01.20.2007 11:59 pm

Hrm, none of the rebeccas or rebekahs for that matter have a rah sound in the beginning.

More of a u in tug or a shcwa. ra just sounds patently wrong to me, but I can think of nothing better as far as Japanese vowels. Actually ryu almost sounds more right to me. Then again, name pronounciation can be a very regional thing :)
angstycoder: "指の臨死体験"
kagemaru: ? ? ?
angstycoder: "I meant finger has near death experience"
kagemaru "doesn't work. You said 'Finger of near death experience'"
angstycoder: "Did I mention I don't know grammar?"
angstycoder

Postby thedrizzle91 » Mon 01.22.2007 8:15 pm

im new to the site and to the Japanese language and i personally thought his か look almost like its counterpart in katakana. Not sure if anyone noted on this already because i didn't really wanna do all that reading.
thedrizzle91

Postby neo2407 » Mon 01.22.2007 11:49 pm

thedrizzle91 wrote:
im new to the site and to the Japanese language and i personally thought his か look almost like its counterpart in katakana. Not sure if anyone noted on this already because i didn't really wanna do all that reading.

Yeah that was mentioned, I don't know why I write it that way but I'm working on fixing it.
neo2407

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)