Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stereotypes about English?

Stereotypes about English?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Stereotypes about English?

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 01.24.2007 9:31 pm

Most people have heard people try to imitate the way languages like Mandarin, Spanish, German sound even though they know nothing about the language. For example when talking about Mandarin some people may say something stupid like ching chang chong or for German they might even try to imitate Hitler and say made up words with weird, raspy pronounciations like Varchingsteicher or something like that. So, my question is, what do people who don't speak English think of when they think of English? What are some stereotypical sounds and made up words that are associated with English just like ching chang chong is associated with Mandarin?

-Sorry if this topic has come up before
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

RE: Stereotypes about English?

Postby Tajoumaru » Wed 01.24.2007 9:37 pm

Big Mac, french fries! Super-size! :o
Tajoumaru

Postby ashitaka » Wed 01.24.2007 9:42 pm

curly fries, pepsi please, dairy queen, taco bell.
ashitaka

Postby tanuki » Wed 01.24.2007 9:57 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
So, my question is, what do people who don't speak English think of when they think of English?

How are we supposed to know what they think of? We can't read minds. Anyone who can read that sentence knows English, so you're not going to get any real response to your question from any of us. :|

---

Quibbling aside, the English language's "stereotype" is that a lot of words end in "-ation" and, of course, the sound of your "r". Also that all o's are always pronounced as ou's (from a Spanish perspective).
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 01.24.2007 10:01 pm

tanuki wrote:
flammable hippo wrote:
So, my question is, what do people who don't speak English think of when they think of English?

How are we supposed to know what they think of? We can't read minds. Anyone who can read that sentence knows English, so you're not going to get any real response to your question from any of us. :|

---

Quibbling aside, the English language's "stereotype" is that a lot of words end in "-ation" and, of course, the sound of your "r". Also that all o's are always pronounced as ou's (from a Spanish perspective).

Well, a lot of people on this site don't speak English as a first language and learned it a lot later in life. This gives them plenty of time to have had thoughts about the language before ever attempting to learn it.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby tanuki » Wed 01.24.2007 10:10 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember what I thought of English before I learned it. It was long ago.

What are some (...) made up words that are associated with English

japiberdei :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 01.24.2007 10:55 pm

brillig. ;)

I don't know what Japanese people thing english sounds like, but I sure as hell know what they think an american Japanese Accent sounds like..

HEY HEY! yakiTOri!!! okonomiYAki!

*grumblegrumble*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Wed 01.24.2007 11:24 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
brillig. ;)

:D

Lewis Carroll wrote:
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe

Any way, enough farnarkling around ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby fezangry » Wed 01.24.2007 11:27 pm

i learned spanish as a first language, and didnt learned english until i was 11 or 12.
where i live, lots of young children tend to make up words with lots of 'english' r's and sh's like cartashion tronter, etc
fezangry

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 01.24.2007 11:38 pm

The biggest stereotype about English and foreign languages in general that I encountered in Japan is that kids (and even some adults) seem to essentially group them with animal noises. English is often portrayed in popular media as completely incomprehensible and beyond the ability of anybody to learn, and in some cases this is carried to such an extent that it almost carries the connotation of being something fundamentally different from Japanese (i.e. as if it's not just another language, but actually a completely different thing altogether)

In a lot of American media, math is a stereotypical geek subject. In Japanese kids' stuff, it's often English that's used in that role.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 01.25.2007 12:01 am

synchronicity strikes again... i just read through these links yesterday by chance...

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/36065
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/3923
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/20884
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/10731

in short, "rar rar rar".
zengargoyle

Return to 英語の練習