Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - みんなさん vs みなさん ?

みんなさん vs みなさん ?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

みんなさん vs みなさん ?

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.25.2007 4:11 pm

A friend of mine told me that you would generally type minna (みんな) when using that word alone, but mina (みんな) when typing minna-san (みんなさん).

Is this correct? Or are they generally interchangeable?

I was typing my introduction in the Introductions section and started wondering... not to mention that I don't know Kanji enough to have taken the "shortcut", so I just write it all out "long hand" for now.

Thanks in advance!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

RE: みんなさん vs みなさん ?

Postby richvh » Thu 01.25.2007 4:14 pm

To the best of my knowledge, みんな is a casual speech version of みな, and only みなさん is correct when the honorific is attached.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby paul_b » Thu 01.25.2007 4:34 pm

phreadom wrote:
A friend of mine told me that you would generally type minna (みんな) when using that word alone, but mina (みんな) when typing minna-san (みんなさん).

I was typing my introduction in the Introductions section and started wondering... not to mention that I don't know Kanji enough to have taken the "shortcut", so I just write it all out "long hand" for now.

Thanks in advance!

Looks a little inconsistent there. Which was it?

In any case assuming your friend said "mina (みな) when typing mina-san (みなさん)" then your friend was correct.
paul_b

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.25.2007 5:03 pm

paul_b wrote:
phreadom wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Looks a little inconsistent there. Which was it?

In any case assuming your friend said "mina (みな) when typing mina-san (みなさん)" then your friend was correct.

Sorry, poor copy/paste editing on my part. :(

It should have read:
phreadom wrote:
A friend of mine told me that you would generally type minna (みんな) when using that word alone, but mina (みな) when typing mina-san (みなさん).

I really messed that up. :(
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Japanese General Discussion