Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - be + adjectives

be + adjectives

Do you have a translation question?

be + adjectives

Postby lomagu » Tue 08.02.2005 8:04 am

How do you say phrases with "to be" plus adjectives?

For example with "nice: "being nice is.."; "be nice"; "i was being nice"; "i want to be nice"; "i'll be nice" etc. I thought for some things you could add く・にする but I'm not too sure.

i think i might've put this in the wrong section.. oh well ;)
Last edited by lomagu on Tue 08.02.2005 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

RE: be + adjectives

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 08.03.2005 7:03 am

This is almost certainly wrong, but this is the best that I've got:

NOTE*** I was pretty sure you knew this, but I wanted to make sure:
The word for nice I am using is not that to which you were referring. But my example still applies, at least to one of your questions, I believe.

あなたはどうして何時でも懇篤じゃないんですか? Why are you never nice?!

いつも懇篤なのは大変なんだね。 'Cause being nice all the time is hard.

Keep in mind, my Japanese is wretched filth - which, if it were a horse, you would shoot... ;)

本当に、懇篤じゃないことがないと思いますね。
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 08.03.2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.03.2005 8:55 am

lomagu wrote:
How do you say phrases with "to be" plus adjectives?

For example with "nice: "being nice is.."; "be nice"; "i was being nice"; "i want to be nice"; "i'll be nice" etc. I thought for some things you could add く・にする but I'm not too sure.

i think i might've put this in the wrong section.. oh well ;)

I would agree with your method, however don't quote me on any of this:

優しくするのは
優しくして
優しくしていた
優しくしたい

Can't figure out how to translate "I'll be nice" correctly. While we're waiting for a more qualified reply I'll guess the following:
優しくするのになる
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 08.03.2005 9:30 am

Why wouldn't one just say "優しくする" for "I'll be nice". It should be clear from the context whether the speaker is referring to the future or not. If a person isn't nice and everyone knows it and he has been chided for it, and if he then should say "優しくする" or "優しくします" or "優しくしている" or "優しくしています", you should know that he is not referring to the present. Though, I imagine what Schattenjedi suggested is either correct or very close to being correct (優しくするのになる). Although "優しくするのになる" might be interpreted "Although nice, he is of use/becomes/changes"

as

私の日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質問に答えるよね。

But, as I said, context usually makes things clear.

By the way, I was quite tired when I wrote what I wrote above (the thing before what Schattenjedi wrote). That fact coupled with my unadroitness with Japanese, and you have a recipe for something grossly inaccurate and shameful. I have only been studying Japanese for about 2 1/2 months, however.... There! I think I've salvaged some dignity. ;) :| :(
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Wed 08.03.2005 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni di me non pvlchrvm paterentvr, omnia bona agerem. Dixit: Cvr se deos liqvisse? Qvid se faceret? Di se fecissent foediorem qvam qvem canis ipse videre posset. Qvaeram a qvovis, vel diabolo, vt bellvs a se fiam modo ne malam vitam vivam. Dico, si aliter egissent, fvtvrvm fvisse vt bene viverem. - me
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.03.2005 10:00 am

Yeah, I was overcomplicating that one in my head.
Schattenjedi

Postby lomagu » Wed 08.03.2005 11:09 am

thanks for your input :D. Sometimes I get confused between く・になる and く・にする. Most of the time I understand, but sometimes you use 〜なる in Japanese and it doesn't translate directly to "become ~" in English. *sigh* I guess I should know by now that I can't translate things directly...

by the way CviCvraeVtMoriar,
I have only been studying Japanese for about 2 1/2 months

私の日本語上手じゃないのに、私は日本語の質問に答えるよね。

for 2.5 months, that's pretty damn good! I think your 2.5 months is better than my 2.5 years... ;)
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 08.03.2005 9:24 pm

Iomagu wrote:
for 2.5 months, that's pretty damn good! I think your 2.5 months is better than my 2.5 years... ;)

Thank you! That's encouraging. I was thinking that my Japanese totally blew! Though, I think that yours is certainly better. :D

By the way:

V3-koto-ni-shi-mashita = To decide to do something
V3-koto-ni-nari-mashita = Things have turned out such as X happens/is going to happen.

新車を買うことにしました。

I have decided to buy a new car.

月曜から金曜まで日本語を習うことにしました。

I have decided to learn Japanese Monday through Friday.

佐藤さんは会社を辞めることになりました。

Things have become such as Mr. Sato is going to quit the company. (Japanese is succint! Although, I could have come up with a shorter translation.)

次の会議は京都で開くことになりました。

Things have happend is such a way that the next meeting will be held in Kyoto.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Thu 08.04.2005 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Gaijinian » Wed 08.03.2005 11:01 pm

What the hell is 懇篤?:o
___

Often times, に・く>する/なる are very similar. I think for CCVM's examples, they could be used interchangeably, with little to no difference, I think.

To answere the original question:
Lomagu, I think you are closest with ni/ku suru/naru.
Everyone else is making it too complicated...

私の日本語上手じゃないのに、私は日本語の質問に答えるよね。

私の日本語が上手じゃないのに、質問を答えてみるよね is probably better. You do not have to keep reestablishing the topic in Japanese, that sounds so 外人っぽい。B) (Do you know ~te miru?)
Last edited by Gaijinian on Wed 08.03.2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Wed 08.03.2005 11:41 pm

Often times, に・く>する/なる are very similar. I think for CCVM's examples, they could be used interchangeably, with little to no difference, I think.

I don't think that that is correct.... at all. There is certainly a difference between them.

I know that you don't need to keep reestablishing the "topic" (I only stated the topic once.) I thought that I needed the 私の for clarification's sake.

日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質問に答えるよね。
or
日本語上手じゃないんに、 私は日本語の質問に答えるよね。

would probably have been ideal.

(I am not sure that の can be shortened before に as in the second example; but I suspect that it can: E.G.   「なんで、 私が好き誰もいないんだよ。」)

I have never heard of te-miru; however, I have heard of te-miseru:

折り紙を折ってみせました。  I showed how to do origami.

絶対試合に勝ってみせます。  I will definitely win the game.

懇篤 == こんとく cordial, kind. A word which noone uses, probably.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Thu 08.04.2005 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.04.2005 7:45 am

てみる is very important. Check it out:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/try.html
Schattenjedi

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Thu 08.04.2005 9:50 am

Thanks! :)

What about you, Schattenjedi?

Does this seem okay to you? or should it be:

日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質問に答えてみるよね。
or perhaps
日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質問に答えようとするよね。
?

By the way, I fixed that error on my last post (the 誰も thing. I can't believe I wrote that. It's still probably wrong, however;) )

Also:
大人らしくするつもりだったのに、 子供のように立ち振る舞うね (甘えるね)。
大人らしくしにしたのに、 子供のように立ち振る舞うね (甘えるね)。

Would these both be correct; Just the first one; or neither of them?

Edit***

One more question! :D

I saw someone asking how to say "I only speak a little Japanese."
Would this be correct perhaps?

日本語は(私に)ちょっくらしか話せないよ。
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Thu 08.04.2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.04.2005 11:55 am

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Thanks! :)

What about you, Schattenjedi?

Does this seem okay to you? or should it be:

日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質竄ノ答えてみるよね。
or perhaps
日本語上手じゃないのに、 私は日本語の質問に答えようとするよね。
?

Since you asked me I'll take a go at your questions, but here's my disclaimer of the absolute correctness of my answers.

First of all, 私 is unnecessary in all of the sentences. Secondly, I think you can compare the difference between your first sentence and the last two to the English equivalents. It's somewhat softer to say I will try to do something than if you say I will do something, period. The last two sentences are both right.

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:
Also:

I haven't a clue about this one.

CviCvraeVtMoriar wrote:

I saw someone asking how to say "I only speak a little Japanese."
Would this be correct perhaps?

日本語は(私に)ちょっくらしか話せないよ。

EDITED: I thought you wrote を, but actually it's は.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Thu 08.04.2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby Gaijinian » Thu 08.04.2005 3:40 pm

CCVM Wrote:
Also:

"I intendet on being like an adult, but I acted like a spoiled child."? Go with the first one. Maybe the verb at the end should be in past form because of the だった. (Note that here too might be a good place for te miru form [otona rasiku SHITEMIRU tumori datta noni...]

日本語は(私に)ちょっくらしか話せないよ。

日本語なら(Or が)少ししか話せないよ。Is probably most natural.

For the first, watashi is not needed, and sounds very gaijin-ppoi, as I said earlier. Also, same for nihongo, which is the subject. 日本語が上手じゃないのに、質問を答えてみる。It is obvious that your trying to answere a question about/in Japanese. 

That is what I have to say. I'm sure you'll disregard it, though, heh...
Last edited by Gaijinian on Thu 08.04.2005 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby CviCvraeVtMoriar » Thu 08.04.2005 7:41 pm

First, let me say, thanks for all your help, you guys! ;)

"I intendet on being like an adult, but I acted like a spoiled child."? Go with the first one. Maybe the verb at the end should be in past form because of the だった. (Note that here too might be a good place for te miru form [otona rasiku SHITEMIRU tumori datta noni...]

I imagine that the reason for using -te miru would be to express intent, or to give the clause a conative (not a misspelling of connotation) nuance, since there is an idea of unfulfillment later. Because otona-rashiku-suru-tsumori-datta already expresses intent, or, losely, attempt, one probably does not need to put -te-miru there.

For the first, watashi is not needed, and sounds very gaijin-ppoi, as I said earlier. Also, same for nihongo, which is the subject. 日本語が上手じゃないのに、質問を答えてみる。It is obvious that your trying to answere a question about/in Japanese. 

Okay. I thought to omit the second 日本語; but it seemed to me that the double usage had a desired nuance of meaning. Perhaps it had a meaning but wasn't that which I wanted; perhaps it was "I am a freakin' 外人 everyone. Look at me!"

BTY:
I promise you, it is 質問に答える not 質問を答える:

You can look it up in an online dictionary. It is a set expression:

質問に答える [しつもんにこたえる] - (exp) to answer a question.

That is what I have to say. I'm sure you'll disregard it, though, heh..

I don't disregard things you say. I only defer unconditional and unreserved adoption of your ideas until such a time as I am sure that they are correct. I appreciate your input. :)

I sure have a way of making threads about me and my questions.
Last edited by CviCvraeVtMoriar on Thu 08.04.2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CviCvraeVtMoriar

Postby Gaijinian » Thu 08.04.2005 7:55 pm

Shitsumon ni kotaeru is correct, but that does not make shitsumon wo kotaeru incorrect.B) Ya' know?
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion