Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Help!

Kanji Help!

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Kanji Help!

Postby Christian_ » Wed 08.03.2005 12:45 pm

Hi, I finished learning hiragana and katakana and im told if im gonna continue learning japanese the final step is grammer and kanji. I bought a grammer book and that helps and has taught me to make basic sentences and ask questions. Then I bought a kanji book called a guide to reading and writing japanese. I was told that i need to know both readings on and kun and i guess that makes sense but are there a few exceptions because it seems like i only need to know the on readings for the number kanji. any advice or anything about how to go about learning kanji right after having learned the kana would be so helpful.:(
Christian_

RE: Kanji Help!

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.03.2005 1:21 pm

x911 wrote:
Hi, I finished learning hiragana and katakana and im told if im gonna continue learning japanese the final step is grammer and kanji. I bought a grammer book and that helps and has taught me to make basic sentences and ask questions. Then I bought a kanji book called a guide to reading and writing japanese. I was told that i need to know both readings on and kun and i guess that makes sense but are there a few exceptions because it seems like i only need to know the on readings for the number kanji. any advice or anything about how to go about learning kanji right after having learned the kana would be so helpful.:(

I don't think I'd call them the final step...but anyway, I would advise learning Kanji from simple texts. When you see a Kanji that is continiously being used, look it up and learn the correct strokes and reading. That assures that you get the most out of the Kanji that you learn.
Schattenjedi

Postby Christian_ » Wed 08.03.2005 4:21 pm

thanks for the advice and i just read something on using a on reading when the kanji is combined and a kun when it isnt ill read that again later but anyway um i dont know any kanji except 1 : on reading=ichi kun reading=hito ( tsu ) um how should i go about learning from a book if i knew how id be learning maybe three kanji a day from my book a guide to reading and writing japanese. thanks and id really enjoy any extra help!:)
Christian_

Postby mandolin » Thu 08.04.2005 7:22 am

Hm, OK. Not sure how much help I am going to be, but I'll give it a shot.

Learning only Kanji next as a 'step' in your learning like hiragana/katakana was is going to be very daunting. Well, it is for most people, and it is for me, as well. Trying to memorize the kanji readings for the sake of knowing all the kanji readings borders on impossible if you're the kind of person that likes to feel like you're making progress.

I think that learning vocab along with Kanji is the best way to go from here, and try to focus less on "This Kanji can be said blah, blah, blah, and blah" and more on This kanji is used in <word> and <word> even though they sound different.

Like 時 in someone's example in another thread. It is easier to realize that it is in the word 'jikan' and 'tokidoki', and by remembering those two words associated with that kanji, you will automatically know two readings of that one character.

All that said, I have my favroite learning tool ever. It's a book, and it sort of just looks like a dictionary of the 1945 Joyo Kanji, except that all the example words only use kanji that have already been in the list, letting you build your kanji recognition and vocab in one swoop.

For example, the first one listed is 人. The vocab associated with it -only- uses kana along with that kanji, like:
あの人 ano hito - that person
アメリカ人 amerikajin - an american

The second kanji is 一. Its examples include:
一つ一つ hitotsu-hitotsu - one by one, individually
一ページ ichi pe-ji - one page; page 1
一人  hitori - one person; alone (notice use of 人!)

And it just builds from there.

The book is "Kanji & Kana: A handbook of the Japanese writing system" By Wolfgang Hadamitzky & Mark Spahn, published by Tuttle Language Library. $19.95 cover price.

Most people work well with mnemonics, which this book does -not- teach. However, everyone's different. I think this resource has made my learning faster, because I've combined kanji with vocab in practical use, and I can even write in some kanji to my e-mail pen pal with passable success!
mandolin

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 08.04.2005 7:30 am

I have that book as well and it is an indispensable resource for me. However you payed $20 for it and I payed 20! the fvck! Somehow the German version must cost more.
Schattenjedi

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems