Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Skateboarding in Japan??

Skateboarding in Japan??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Skateboarding in Japan??

Postby Xism » Wed 01.31.2007 10:15 pm

Hmm, on my free time I like to go with friends to Downtown and skate. Of course, not everyone exactly likes that due to: property damage, noise, loitering, and maybe "bad influences for children" ??<<funny story. Lol, well yeah I was wondering (for those of you living in Japan of course) wether you skateboard or not, how are they viewed as? Like, I know for a fact that people will like us and others won't (clearly). But I'd like to hear about what you see what goes on with skateboarders in japan; both gaijins and japanese. :)
Xism

RE: Skateboarding in Japan??

Postby ashitaka » Wed 01.31.2007 11:40 pm

I've never seen someone skateboarding in Japan, sorry I don't know more about it but i imagine it wouldn't be liked to much. Of course you will find some people who would be intrigued by skateboarding but I imagine the majority wouldn't care or wouldn't like it much.
ashitaka

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.31.2007 11:44 pm

Skateboarding is popular just like in the US. So is trick BMXing. There are many parks or other areas where there are large, open, paved areas that are very popular for skaters or BMXers. Although, they usually only go at night because during the day there are too many people.

Skateboarders seem to be older here, though. In the US you see a lot of high school kids skateboarding (hence the "bad influence" idea) but here it seems to be mostly people in their 20's and past the "being influenced" stage. :D

Edit: Just saw Ashitaka's response. Where did Japan did you look for skateboarders? I would imagine in the middle of Tokyo where there is no room to skate you wouldn't see many, but in the more rural areas it's not unheard of (I have a few friends who love skating, and I see BMX guys all the time here in Yokohama).
Last edited by keatonatron on Wed 01.31.2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 02.01.2007 3:32 am

Just to back up what Keat said, I have seen skateboarding a number of times in Japan, and even once in the station.

Unforunately, not being in that scene, I have no idea how they're viewed by the general populous.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.01.2007 8:26 am

I sometimes see Japanese skateboarders practicing. I can't recall ever having seen one successfully complete a trick. That counts for nothing, though, as it is very likely a problem of my not being in the right place at the right time.

Most of the ones I see seem to be using the skateboard as some sort of fashion accessory to their hip-hop togs and are more interested in "styling" than they are in putting serious effort into skateboarding.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby lemonaid » Thu 02.01.2007 10:23 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Most of the ones I see seem to be using the skateboard as some sort of fashion accessory to their hip-hop togs and are more interested in "styling" than they are in putting serious effort into skateboarding.

There are those who use dogs and Starbucks cups for that purpose as well. A skateboard in the hands of someone who can't skate even if his life depends on it is better than a dog in the purse of someone who can't take care of her own life even if the dogs life depends on it.

I sincerely hope I'll never become be as fashion-oriented as some of my peers. I find the whole mindless consumer act to be a little shallow and unrewarding.

Oh, sorry for just butting in to the thread like this. I'm at work, bored.
Last edited by lemonaid on Thu 02.01.2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby keatonatron » Thu 02.01.2007 10:44 am

lemonaid wrote:
A skateboard in the hands of someone who can't skate even if his life depends on it is better than a dog in the purse of someone who can't take care of her own life even if the dogs life depends on it.

I lolled :D
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 02.01.2007 10:52 am

The Japanese skaters that I knew were as good as any in the X-games arena, (of course that was 15 some years ago..) however, if you watch the international scene you are seeing more and more Japanese skaters, BMXer's and even dirt-bike (aerial stunts) etc, so it's not such a stretch to see kids wanting to emulate their peers.
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 02.01.2007 11:39 am

lemonaid wrote:
I find the whole mindless consumer act to be a little shallow and unrewarding.

You may find Japan a disappointing place, then.
Mike Cash

Postby Xism » Thu 02.01.2007 4:27 pm

Ouch, using skateboards in Japan as a fashion? That kinda hurts but I'll let that slide. So I guess that probably means that some random person will come up to a skater and ask them to do a trick or two...But aside from that, I guess there's no serious skateboarding there (ex. someone doing a trick down a flight of stairs). Has anyone seen how police or other authorities react towards them?
Xism

Postby lemonaid » Thu 02.01.2007 9:21 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
lemonaid wrote:
I find the whole mindless consumer act to be a little shallow and unrewarding.

You may find Japan a disappointing place, then.

No, and even if I did I'd still find the history and language interesting and my japanese friends to be wonderful people... but I know what you're saying.

To actually bring some informative information to the table I did a google search and found this site about skating in Japan. Enjoy.

http://skateboard.about.com/cs/boardscience/a/sk8inJapan.htm
Last edited by lemonaid on Thu 02.01.2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 02.02.2007 4:59 am

I have seen a couple of businesses that catered to the skateboard crowd, with indoor ramps and such things.

Both went bust.

There are most likely others, so don't read an inappropriate amount of meaning into my little bit of anecdotal evidence.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.02.2007 10:23 am

here is a small article about skate parks in Japan. with other links at the bottom
two_heads_talking

Postby lemonaid » Fri 02.02.2007 10:43 am

two_heads_talking wrote:

here is a small article about skate parks in Japan. with other links at the bottom

I beat you to it ;) Two posts above yours.
Last edited by lemonaid on Fri 02.02.2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby ashitaka » Fri 02.02.2007 11:34 am

Edit: Just saw Ashitaka's response. Where did Japan did you look for skateboarders? I would imagine in the middle of Tokyo where there is no room to skate you wouldn't see many, but in the more rural areas it's not unheard of (I have a few friends who love skating, and I see BMX guys all the time here in Yokohama).

That would be my back yard. Disregard my first post, I've only seen one skate boarder but I have seen many BMX guys.
ashitaka

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan