Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Axis and Allies

Axis and Allies

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Axis and Allies

Postby Hark » Thu 02.01.2007 12:46 pm

Lego wrote:
things are going really bad for me though :P

Not at all. Just Western USA together with Eastern USA has 22 IPCs. That's more than what whole USSR has ;) If you're not planing to invite me for a visit, you'll be ok ;) :D
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Lego » Thu 02.01.2007 1:29 pm

Hark wrote:
Lego wrote:

Not at all. Just Western USA together with Eastern USA has 22 IPCs. That's more than what whole USSR has ;) If you're not planing to invite me for a visit, you'll be ok ;) :D

but I'm feeling so lonely... :|
Lego

Postby debu » Thu 02.01.2007 3:03 pm

Also, I started a 3-man game with Debu and Karelhof. Karelhof hasn't made the first move yet, though.

I didn't get any notice by email or anything
Try Train Your Brain flashcard software, free for TJP members. http://www.digitaldominion.com pm or email me for registration key
debu

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 02.02.2007 5:01 am

Lego wrote:
Hark wrote:
Lego wrote:

but I'm feeling so lonely... :|

Hint: We are "Allies". That means we have to cooperate and coordinate our strategies. I made a post in the team message box. Let's put that feature to good use.

(Still no update message).
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Hark » Fri 02.02.2007 10:15 am

How that email notification is supposed to work (and look like)? Because I received email with a bunch of links cca 2.5 hours after I made turn. However, they send it under Mike Cash's name. If it was just a 'reminder' (same as Lego was talking about), then we can manualy remind next user of his turn (and then - how do you send a reminder?).
Hark

Postby Lego » Fri 02.02.2007 10:18 am

I received a notification today, it was "from" you, hark
it was actually my turn, but I don't know if it was just a really slow notification for my first turn!
Lego

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.02.2007 1:09 pm

If you log in when it is not your turn, in the middle there is a "send reminder" button. The "from" name in the e-mail will be the person who just finished their turn before you (but the address will always be the same one from gamesbyemail.com).

Russia just got rocked.
keatonatron

Postby Hark » Fri 02.02.2007 1:37 pm

Aha, in Opera buttons have width of 1px or so, in Firefox only right portions of buttons are visible (less than 10px). I'll report a problem.

I'm affraid we'll achieve economic victory by the end of this turn. I don't see any possibilities for Mike Cash or Lego to stop us.

After this game ends we could brainstorm some tactical/strategical hints...
Hark

Postby Lego » Fri 02.02.2007 1:56 pm

I didn't do many good moves, but I was also unlucky to lose all my pacific fleet and china before my first turn :(

maybe kagemaru spent too much on research and thus had not enough units to defend
surely it would have been easier for him if I pressed more germany or japan :p
Lego

Postby keatonatron » Fri 02.02.2007 10:31 pm

Of course you're free to develop your own strategies, but I personally think it's a good idea to leave research until later in the game. Spending too much on it too soon will leave your defenses underfunded. Also, pay attention to which units attack and defend the best. Bombers are horrible defense, so it's best to land them away from enemy lines and only use them for offense. Fighters, however, are excellent defense so it's good to keep them close to the front.

The game is supposed to be set up like the real World War 2. In the real war, the US was unlucky to lose their fleet before their first turn ;)

At the start of the game, the Axis have strong armies but weak economies. The Allies have the opposite. So, it's a good idea for the Axis to attack quick and hard before the Allies get a chance to build up armies. If you are the Allies, I think it's important to look for and exploit weak areas to harrass the Axis more. If you can slow down their advance by taking undefended countries so they have to come back for them, your allies might have time to build up big enough armies to win.
keatonatron

Postby Kagemaru » Sat 02.03.2007 12:42 am

keatonatron wrote:
but I personally think it's a good idea to leave research until later in the game. Spending too much on it too soon will leave your defenses underfunded.

Yes, I won't be doing that again.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby Lego » Sat 02.03.2007 6:30 am

end of the game...
I've done a lot of mistakes, but I think that I know the rules better now!
For example now I know that you can't move airplanes to a territory you conquered that turn, nor build an industrial complex there!
this ruined my africa invasion plan :(
Lego

Postby Hark » Sat 02.03.2007 6:52 am

Well, first game is over. Axis won (what a beautiful future awaits us ;) ). We can now switch roles and try again. Also here are some tips I found out while playing the game. I only played against A.I. until now, but at least tactical hints should be OK.

Tactical
- unit count is important. Having stronger units is not enough. If you can smash your opponent at first roll, you'll have only minor cassualties. If you have simmilar count of units as your opponent, you'd need to do more rolls and your opponent would have more chances to have successful hits.

- (but also) unit strength is important. Attacking just with infantry isn't a good idea (not quite, but if you want to attack territory with greater number of soldiers, difference in strength (attack-1 deffence-2) will be significant). Best unit for ground attack is tank. Always support your attacking units with planes (if possible).

- protect your expensive/important units with cheaper "cassualty-collectors". For example, attack with tanks and enough infantrymen... or attack with battleships, carriers, planes and enough submarines (cheapest navy unit).

- it's not that hard to find all possible moves enemy can do in his turn. Be prepared for all possibilities and protect your most important territories. Be sure that if he manages to capture your territory, he won't be able to attack much more further

- if you need to build navy from scratch, start with cheaper units (submarines) that can be bought in greater numbers. Or if you have bought enough planes, buy some carriers (but protect them from submarine hits). Don't throw away money buying transports if you can't protect them.

- take advantage of your allies's territories. You can land planes there, stack units preparing larger attack, etc.

Strategical
- UK: as Britain is island you'll need to have powerful navy. Try to smash german navy as soon as possible, it'll be harder for them to build it from the scratch. Then protect Africa and make Germans busy, distracting their march on Moscow. It seems to be a good idea to place an industry on India/Australia (I'd prefer India because it's reachable from land (by enemy) so you don't need to build pacific fleet to make amphibious assaults. But if you have it you can make sudden amphibious assaults on Africa). Then you can build protective units there hindering japanese offensive and eventually mounting a counterattack.

- Germany: well played. Review Keatonatron's moves ;)

- USSR: Berlin and Moscow are nearest capitals (London needs amphibious assault). Therefore it seems as a good idea to make main attack in the directions of opposing capital (I think that whoever captures enemy capital wins - if you loose a capital, you loose your IPCs and don't receive any until you retake it). In the far east it requires rather high investments to make offensive actions (thus weakening effort on the european eastern front). You may try making germans trouble in Africa (through Iraq).

- Japan: I found important to destroy USA's pacific fleet as soon as possible. You won't need protection for your transports and they won't be able to make any problems in Pacific (you can't allow them to rebuild navy). You can try attacking America continent itself, but then you won't be able to make "easy" IPCs in China and central Asia (and also help Germany with USSR whitch would need to dislocate some protective units in Asia). But if you manage to capture western USA you'll halfway to victory.

- USA: it's easy to protect yourself (motherland) because of surrounding oceans. You must have a strong navy that will protect your transports. You can threaten Germany with your presence in Atlantic and make an amphibious assault on Africa, Norway or even Western Europe (if left unguarded). Attacking directly Japan is rather difficult, so it seems that best thing you can do (to start with) is capturing Pacific islands one by one taking Japan their IPCs.

Well, this is the main ideas I was able to come with. Maybe some A&A guru would bury them under the ground, but it may give you some ideas. If you find anything wrong with them please correct me. I'm looking forward playing another game with you where you destroy my mighty armies ;)

I forgot - Hasbro also made A&A PC game. As you can no more buy it, you can download it from HOTU (well, it's not really legal, but you can download only older games that you can buy no more and also they're ready to stop distributing game when they're told to). This is actualy an expansion introducing marine unit, but the rest of the game is the same. It may be good "tool" for getting into the rules and trying some tactics/strategies (even when the A.I. isn't brightest one, it can make some really good moves). Interface is slightly different, but with tutorial it's no problem.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3842
Last edited by Hark on Sat 02.03.2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hark

Postby keatonatron » Sat 02.03.2007 8:31 am

Let's head in to round 2. I think it will be a more interesting game now that everyone knows what they're doing. I'll mix the teams up a bit.

Alright, the new lineup:

Czar Keatonatron (USSR)
Prime Minister Hark (UK)
President Cash (US)

vs.

Herr Kagemaru (Germany)
Emperor Lego (Japan)

I'd like to start a second game with Debu. Anyone interested in playing two games at once? (we can do a 3, 4, or 5-man game, so any number of people is fine!).
Last edited by keatonatron on Sat 02.03.2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 02.03.2007 8:45 am

I had no idea we would be whipped in just two or three rounds.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic