Well, first game is over. Axis won (what a beautiful future awaits us
). We can now switch roles and try again. Also here are some tips I found out while playing the game. I only played against A.I. until now, but at least tactical hints should be OK.
- unit count is important. Having stronger units is not enough. If you can smash your opponent at first roll, you'll have only minor cassualties. If you have simmilar count of units as your opponent, you'd need to do more rolls and your opponent would have more chances to have successful hits.
- (but also) unit strength is important. Attacking just with infantry isn't a good idea (not quite, but if you want to attack territory with greater number of soldiers, difference in strength (attack-1 deffence-2) will be significant). Best unit for ground attack is tank. Always support your attacking units with planes (if possible).
- protect your expensive/important units with cheaper "cassualty-collectors". For example, attack with tanks and enough infantrymen... or attack with battleships, carriers, planes and enough submarines (cheapest navy unit).
- it's not that hard to find all possible moves enemy can do in his turn. Be prepared for all possibilities and protect your most important territories. Be sure that if he manages to capture your territory, he won't be able to attack much more further
- if you need to build navy from scratch, start with cheaper units (submarines) that can be bought in greater numbers. Or if you have bought enough planes, buy some carriers (but protect them from submarine hits). Don't throw away money buying transports if you can't protect them.
- take advantage of your allies's territories. You can land planes there, stack units preparing larger attack, etc.
- UK: as Britain is island you'll need to have powerful navy. Try to smash german navy as soon as possible, it'll be harder for them to build it from the scratch. Then protect Africa and make Germans busy, distracting their march on Moscow. It seems to be a good idea to place an industry on India/Australia (I'd prefer India because it's reachable from land (by enemy) so you don't need to build pacific fleet to make amphibious assaults. But if you have it you can make sudden amphibious assaults on Africa). Then you can build protective units there hindering japanese offensive and eventually mounting a counterattack.
- Germany: well played. Review Keatonatron's moves
- USSR: Berlin and Moscow are nearest capitals (London needs amphibious assault). Therefore it seems as a good idea to make main attack in the directions of opposing capital (I think that whoever captures enemy capital wins - if you loose a capital, you loose your IPCs and don't receive any until you retake it). In the far east it requires rather high investments to make offensive actions (thus weakening effort on the european eastern front). You may try making germans trouble in Africa (through Iraq).
- Japan: I found important to destroy USA's pacific fleet as soon as possible. You won't need protection for your transports and they won't be able to make any problems in Pacific (you can't allow them to rebuild navy). You can try attacking America continent itself, but then you won't be able to make "easy" IPCs in China and central Asia (and also help Germany with USSR whitch would need to dislocate some protective units in Asia). But if you manage to capture western USA you'll halfway to victory.
- USA: it's easy to protect yourself (motherland) because of surrounding oceans. You must have a strong navy that will protect your transports. You can threaten Germany with your presence in Atlantic and make an amphibious assault on Africa, Norway or even Western Europe (if left unguarded). Attacking directly Japan is rather difficult, so it seems that best thing you can do (to start with) is capturing Pacific islands one by one taking Japan their IPCs.
Well, this is the main ideas I was able to come with. Maybe some A&A guru would bury them under the ground, but it may give you some ideas. If you find anything wrong with them please correct me. I'm looking forward playing another game with you where you destroy my mighty armies
I forgot - Hasbro also made A&A PC game. As you can no more buy it, you can download it from HOTU (well, it's not really legal, but you can download only older games that you can buy no more and also they're ready to stop distributing game when they're told to). This is actualy an expansion introducing marine unit, but the rest of the game is the same. It may be good "tool" for getting into the rules and trying some tactics/strategies (even when the A.I. isn't brightest one, it can make some really good moves). Interface is slightly different, but with tutorial it's no problem.