Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - translation of a phrase in a song

translation of a phrase in a song

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

translation of a phrase in a song

Postby leergierig » Mon 02.05.2007 5:26 pm

こんにちは皆さん。私の日本語はまだ下手です、しかしがんばります。

I have a question regarding the opening lyrics of an anime's ending theme song. I've read in a previous thread that many songs use convoluted/contrived grammar in an attempt to match the lyrics with the melody. With this in mind I was wondering whether the following is grammatically correct:

足元に風光が舞った。

This sentence was taken from a fansub translation, but I can't really fault the transcription. I don't think any particles are ommitted (although my ears are untrained so I'm perhaps not the best judge of that).

I already know the following:
足 - leg/foot
元 - origin
に - location particle
風 - wind
光 - light
が - subject/topic debate starter particle :D
舞う - to dance

Putting some of it together, I have 足元に as "at the base of my feet" (I've taken some context related liberty here) and 光が舞った as "the light danced". I just don't understand 風 in the middle.

If both the light and wind danced, I would have expected at least a や or と to join them. Am I missing something or is this a case in point about music/grammar incompatibilities?

If the sentence is correct, could somebody please translate and explain it to me?

失礼します for the long post. Thanks in advance.
leergierig

RE: translation of a phrase in a song

Postby Tspoonami » Mon 02.05.2007 5:59 pm

風光 【ふうこう】 (n) (beautiful) scenery; natural beauty
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby leergierig » Mon 02.05.2007 6:07 pm

Tspoonamiさん、 I would also have expected a word boundary error if I didn't hear it. However, it is sung as

あし もと に かぜ ひかり が まった

Thanks in any event. My vocabulary has just increased by one word. Yay! B)
leergierig

Postby tsumeshogi » Mon 02.05.2007 6:49 pm

Perhaps:
足元に風(だ)。光が舞った。
Unfortunately I don't have as much time to learn Japanese as I would like, and therefore I am rather inactive on this forum. Yet I have learnt so much just by reading the "Recent Posts" page every once in a while. I respect those who have taken the time to write up explanations to help others, especially those who have written in a language which is not their native language.
tsumeshogi

Postby AJBryant » Mon 02.05.2007 11:33 pm

Well how about telling us what the damned thing is so maybe we can find it somewhere ourselves and verify it?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby leergierig » Tue 02.06.2007 10:45 am

OK, the damned thing :o is the ending theme of the anime カノン (2006 remake by Kyoto animation). I think the song is called kaze no tadoritsuku basho - if you'll pardon the romaji.

I think tsumeshogi might be right. Maybe it has an implied だ. But I'll still appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

EDIT: あのう...I've just remembered that I can Google (*scurries to the nearest hole to hide a very red face*)...I've found the kanji lyrics of the song. The opening "phrase" turned out to be
足下に風 光が舞った
I guess written with the spacing like this, it was purely meant to convey fleeting thoughts - not an actual sentence. Sorry to waste everyone's time. (we really need a blushing smiley)
Last edited by leergierig on Wed 02.07.2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leergierig

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)