Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello to all who might be able to help me with a question

Hello to all who might be able to help me with a question

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello to all who might be able to help me with a question

Postby Nightwing » Fri 08.05.2005 12:46 am

hi i just found this site out , saw what it has to offer for those who want to learn japanese and joined. i 've been studying japanese at a course at my high school, and i keep getting confused with the sentence structure as far as placing the adjectives ,adverbs , and partlices ( but im starting to come around with the particles). So if there is anyone out there who might be able to help, i would greatly apreaciate it, arigato goozaimasu! Oh and i really like this web site a lot!
Nightwing

RE: Hello to all who might be able to help me with a questio

Postby Daisuke » Fri 08.05.2005 7:59 am

Hey Nightwing! Welcome! :)

This is a basic example of the Japanese sentence structure:

私は水を飲みます。
watashi wa mizu o nomimasu. = I drink water.

'nomu' is 'to drink', i used polite form above, but you will get all that when you begin to study verbs. A Japanese sentence ends with the verb. Other than that, there are not many rules for how the sentence is built, only that the less important information is first in the sentence in long sentences. 'wo' is the particle which implifies that it is the water i drink. Let's try another one, with an adjective:

この猫はかわいいです。
kono neko wa kawaii desu. = This cat is cute.

'kono' means this, 'neko' means cat and 'kawaii' means cute. A particle is always used after the word it modifies. In this case the subject is 'neko' and the particle is 'wa'. 'wa' is the subject marker, written as hiragana 'ha'. By writing 'kono neko wa kawaii desu', you implify that it is the cat which is cute. The adjective is written after 'wa'

今日の天気は暑いです。
kyou no tenki wa atsui desu. = Today the weather is hot.

'kyou' means today, 'tenki' means weather. 'no' is a particle which shows a relationship between two things. In this case 'no' is written after 'kyou' because it is todays weather which is hot. We will take a new example with 'no'. Here, 'wa' implifies that the weather is hot.

私の車は高いです。
watashi no kuruma wa takai desu. = My car is expensive.

'watashi no' means my, 'kuruma' means car and 'takai' means expensive. In this case, 'no' implifies that it is 'my car' which is expensive.

です is copula. it has conjugations like a verb, with both informal and formal conjugations. You will get to this when you begin to study verbs, because copula is counted in as a verb.

You can learn alot by looking around this site, especially in the grammar section.

I hope this helps just a tiny bit. ;)
Sorry for my lack in English, if there should be any problems.
- Dai
Daisuke
Site Admin

Return to Introductions