fbpx

2 Comments

June 20, 2023

Aimyon あいみょんの愛の花 Lyrics in Japanese and English

(あい)(はな)

Today's song breakdown is the folksy sounding theme song of the current (あさ)ドラ (see below to learn about this)

About (あさ)ドラ

The current (あさ)ドラ is called 「らんまん」 and is loosely based on the life of 牧野富太郎(まきのとみたろう) (1862-1957). 牧野(まきの)博士(はかせ) (Dr. Makino) has been called “Father of Japanese Botany” for his work documenting 50,000 specimens and discovering over 1,500 species.

Yumi’s mother and I enjoy watching the 15 minute serials every morning. Yumi… not so much.

(あさ)ドラ」 refers to the serial television dramas produced and broadcast by the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK). Officially, they are called 「NHK連続(れんぞく)テレビ小説(しょうせつ)」 (NHK Serial Television Novels) but due to their morning broadcast times, they are fondly referred to as (あさ)ドラ (morning dramas).

The (あさ)ドラ airs 15-minute episodes over the course of a week (from Monday to Friday and a recap on Saturday). One story concludes in half a year (about 26 weeks). Thus, two full dramas are aired every year, the first airing from March to August, and the second from September to February.

Makino-sensei lived a long life, into his 90s. However, his wife, 寿衛(すえ) Sue, died decades earlier than him.

About あいみょん

The title song is by あいみょん who is a popular Japanese singer-songwriter known for her expressive lyrics and heartfelt performances. Her music spans a variety of genres but it's often characterized by its pop-rock sound and emotional depth with attention to lyrics (great for our purposes!).

Aimyon's lyrical content frequently explores themes of youth, love, and life's various ups and downs, and she has gained a significant following for her ability to encapsulate complex feelings and experiences in her songs.

It’s possible the first verse of 愛の花 is imagined from Makino-sensei’s deceased wife’s perspective looking down from heaven.

Let’s go through the lyrics with this interpretation in mind.

Makoto+ Bonus Content

While this lesson is free, Makoto+ and Patreon supporters have access to bonus content including a downloadable PDF and sound files. If you are a member, please click here for the bonus content.

Please consider supporting us by becoming a member!

Video of the Song

Before we get started, listen to the song:

Sound File of the Lyrics

Here is a recording of all the lyrics spoken with pauses between lines. See below for breakdowns of every line with individual sound files.

Lyrics in Japanese with Furigana

Japanese and English Lyrics with Furigana

Line-by-Line with Vocabulary and Translation

Please note, in many cases, due to the poetic nature of songs, other translations are possible.

言葉(ことば)()らずの(あい)を (あい)貴方(あなた))

Love that cannot be expressed by words, I give this love to you

Vocabulary & Notes

(わたし)()して(いま)を (いま)(にく)んではいない)

I, in no way, despise the now, this present moment

Vocabulary & Notes

(ゆが)んだ(くも)(そら)を (そら)(にご)して)

The distorted clouds muddy the sky

Vocabulary & Notes

(わたし)(ゆめ)(すべ)て (すべ)()いてきたの

)

I've left all my dreams behind

Vocabulary & Notes

(いのち)ある日々(ひび) (しず)かに(だれ)かを(あい)した日々(ひび) )

In the days of (my) life, the days of quietly loving someone

Vocabulary & Notes

(そら)()れたら (あい)(あい)(つた)えて

When the sky clears, I will communicate love

Vocabulary & Notes

(なみだ)明日(あす)(ため) (あたら)しい(はな)(たね))

Tears are for the sake of tomorrow, seeds of new flowers

Vocabulary & Notes

Verse

Following our theory that the first verse is from Sue’s perspective, this second verse is from Makino-sensei’s perspective looking up.

(こい)()がれた(ひと)は (ひと)(てん)(うえ)

The love I'm yearning for, that person is up in heaven

Vocabulary & Notes

いつかあの場所(ばしょ)(つよ)く (つよ)()(むす)()いて)

Someday at that place, we will tightly, tightly hold hands and embrace

Vocabulary & Notes

(みどり)ゆれてる 貴方(あなた)(こえ)()こえた()がする

The greenery is swaying, I feel like I can hear your voice

Vocabulary & Notes

(そら)()れたら ()いに ()いに()()しい

When the sky clears, I want you to come to meet me

Vocabulary & Notes

(なみだ)()れないわ 明日(あす)へと(つな)がる())

Tears won't dry, but they are the link connecting to tomorrow

Vocabulary & Notes

木漏(こも)()(わら))

Sunlight filtering through the trees, laughing,

Vocabulary & Notes

大切(たいせつ)(ひと)(うしな)未来(みらい)なんてこないで?

Don't let a future where I lose someone important come?

Vocabulary & Notes

(そら)()れずとも (あい)(むね)(いの)るわ(

Even if the sky doesn't clear, I'll pray for love in my heart

Vocabulary & Notes

貴方(あなた)()さる(あめ)が (かぜ)になり (ゆめ)()び (ひかり)になるまで

The rain that pierces you will turn into wind, calling for dreams, until it becomes light

Vocabulary & Notes

(そら)(はれ)れたら (あい)(あい)(つた)えて

When the sky clears, communicate your love

Vocabulary & Notes

(なみだ)明日(あす)(ため) (あたら)しい(はな)(たね)

Tears are for the sake of tomorrow, they are seeds of new flowers

Vocabulary & Notes

(そら)()れたら ()いに ()いに()()しい

When the sky clears, I want you to come to meet me

Vocabulary & Notes

Both "()う" and "()う" are pronounced “au” and mean "to meet," but they are used in different contexts due to their nuanced differences.

• "()う" (au): This is the most common and general term for "to meet" in Japanese. It is used when meeting someone for business, meeting friends, or meeting someone for the first time. It's the go-to term for most situations involving an encounter with another person.
  • "()う" (au): This version of "to meet" carries more emotional weight. It's used in situations where the meeting has an emotional or romantic connotation, or when the meeting is eagerly anticipated or deeply desired. It is often seen in written language, literature, and songs, but it's less common in everyday conversation.

(なみだ)()れないわ 明日(あす)へと(つな)がる())

Tears won't dry up, they are the circle that will connect to tomorrow

Vocabulary & Notes

言葉(ことば)()らずの(あい)を (あい)(はな)貴方(あなた))

Inadequate words of love, I give these flowers of love to you.

Vocabulary & Notes

While this lesson is free, Makoto+ and Patreon supporters have access to bonus content including a downloadable PDF and sound files. If you are a member, please click here for the bonus content.

Please consider supporting us by becoming a member!

For upper beginners and above.

Want to improve your reading, vocabular, grammar, and listening skills by reading about yokai such as oni or kappas? We have the digital bundle for you.

Living in shadows and the in between worlds of dreams and reality, yokai thrive in Japanese imagination. Yokai are monsters, ghosts, unnatural beings, and even sentient household items. Yokai can be harmless and amusing, or they can be terrifying.

Includes free updates for life!

Sharing is caring!

• I’ve only been able to skim this lesson so far … even so, it was vastly helpful to get me involved in a conversation the other day. Thanks!

• Awesome! Just listening to songs may not be very helpful since the grammar and pronunciation in lyrics is often very different from “real life”, but it can be a great way to learn vocabulary while also gaining cultural understanding. I want to do another song by Aimyon. I just have to find the time!

• {"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>