Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - great way to learn hiragana & katakana!

great way to learn hiragana & katakana!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

great way to learn hiragana & katakana!

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Wed 02.14.2007 7:16 pm

Having trouble memorizing all those characters? I'm going to teach you a method that if you complete three or more times a day, you can learn kana or hiragana on a week!

This method has two parts. A written "test" and a matching "test." First, prepare yourself. You'll need the following: a notebook or paper, a chart on a paper in romaji set up in Japanese format (when making this, have a complete katakana/hiragana chart on your computer screen. Copy that chart, but instead of writing katakana/hiragana letters, write the letters in romaji.) Remember when doing this, it is best to only start with the basic letters. So, leave out "ten-ten" letters and combination letters (like zu, nya.) So, you should end up with about 46 letters you will be writing in English. Also, you will need to either copy a hiragana/kana chart or print one out. Make sure they DO NOT have the romaji lletters next to the hiragana/kana letters. If they do, cut them off. Also, cut the kana/hiragana characters away from each other, so you have tiny little squares, each with only one katakana/hiragana letter on it.

The rest of the matching test is quite easy. lay out your chart in romaji, and try to pair a kana/hiragana letter with the corresponding romaji. Try not to cheat or guess. When you think you've got all the letters you can get in the right place, check your answers. Then, record the following: how many letters total you placed on your chart, how many were right, and how many were wrong. do the same every time you practice, because it helps a lot to watch your improvements!

Now the written test. This one is easier to understand, but i found it personally harder to complete. For this, you'll just need paper. Draw a chart on your paper, with the same amount of boxes on a basic hiragana/katakana chart, but don't fill then in yet. When you're ready, look at a kana/hiragana chart and copy down the romaji in the same order as in the chart. (expample: don't put the romaji "a" in the middle of the chart; it should be in the uppermost left corner like in a normal chart.) Then, you start the test.

By memory, try to write the kana/hiragana letter in the matching boxes. Once again, try not to cheat and try not to guess. This one is a bit harder because letters can slip your mind.Once you think you've got all the letters you're going to get, check it over and record it the some way as the matching test. If you practice this regularly, you should get the basic language down in about a week. Gambatte!
The tests on thejapanesepage work wonders, too! gambatte!

P.S. i would love your input on this!
Last edited by XzoeiscuteXx on Wed 02.14.2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XzoeiscuteXx

RE: great way to learn hiragana & katakana!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 02.14.2007 7:51 pm

I'm assuming that by "English" you actually mean "romaji", but that doesn't really seem all that revolutionary.

The primary reason people have trouble learning kana is because they try to learn them as isolated symbols, completely out of context, sometimes before they even know any Japanese words. When you have something concrete to connect them to (besides roman letters) it's much easier to learn them.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Justin » Wed 02.14.2007 8:00 pm

Wow, that's one large chunk of text there. Breaking that up into some paragraphs sure would help in making things easier to read, which in turn, would probably lead to more people participating.
Justin

Postby anikaliki » Wed 02.14.2007 9:16 pm

yeah, and not writing it in purple.
Last edited by anikaliki on Wed 02.14.2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finally!
anikaliki

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 02.14.2007 9:22 pm

I gave up reading it after the 5th line.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby chikara » Wed 02.14.2007 9:25 pm

I concur with Justin, anikaliki and flammable hippo :o
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby anikaliki » Wed 02.14.2007 9:28 pm

flammable hippo wrote:

So did I.
Finally!
anikaliki

Postby seiryuu » Wed 02.14.2007 9:31 pm

flammable hippo wrote:
I gave up after reading the 3rd line.

Score.
seiryuu

Postby Justin » Wed 02.14.2007 9:51 pm

You could have the greatest idea in the world, but if you don't put the effort into making it a nice, clean, and easy to read form, very few people may read it.
Last edited by Justin on Wed 02.14.2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Wed 02.14.2007 10:05 pm

sorry guys. i'll re-post it...
gomen nasai.

XzoeiscuteXx

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 02.14.2007 10:08 pm

XzoeiscuteXx wrote:
sorry guys. i'll re-post it...
gomen nasai.

You don't have to repost it, just edit the post you already made...
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby XzoeiscuteXx » Wed 02.14.2007 10:11 pm

oh cool i can lol

XzoeiscuteXx

Postby jziemba » Thu 02.15.2007 5:44 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I'm assuming that by "English" you actually mean "romaji", but that doesn't really seem all that revolutionary.

The primary reason people have trouble learning kana is because they try to learn them as isolated symbols, completely out of context, sometimes before they even know any Japanese words. When you have something concrete to connect them to (besides roman letters) it's much easier to learn them.

Exactally!

When I took a class back in high school my teacher started out with Hiragana on day one, I couldn't remember anything all these wierd symbols and no words to go with it.

I came here and learned how to speak (decent when sober) in a year and a half. Started learning kana again and got them both in about three weeks (I see sighns everyday I think that helps).

Now I'm on the seemingly endless journey of Kanji :@
Too Hot
Too Upper
Too Happy
To Relax
jziemba

Postby Rock Lee » Thu 02.15.2007 6:09 am

I like your idea for learning! XzoeiscuteXx

I'm going to try it!

arigatou gozaimasu! ;)
Rock Lee

Postby tanuki » Thu 02.15.2007 1:00 pm

WOW that's a big sig.!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)