Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kansai Television shows or other media...

Kansai Television shows or other media...

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Kansai Television shows or other media...

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Thu 02.15.2007 10:45 pm

Hey guys, I might be able to travel to Japan next semester, but I'll be going to the 'dreaded' Kansai area and I haven't really studied anything about the Kansai dialect.

I was wondering if there are any dramas or television shows on Youtube or Crunchyroll with the main characters having a Kansai accent or something like this.

I do watch some 'Hey Hey Hey!' and can understand about as much of what Hamasaki and Matsumoto are saying as much as the guests on the show (not much at all >.<). They're from the Kansai area (I think...).

Any other shows people know about? Or some kind of website where I can hear the Kansai accent?

PS - I say dreaded only because of the dialect; I love the Kansai area as much as the rest of Japan ^_^
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

RE: Kansai Television shows or other media...

Postby Justin » Thu 02.15.2007 11:08 pm

The quickest/easiest way to get a hold of some kansai-ben material may be though some podcast. One off the top of my head that's got some kansai-ben in it would be...

http://www.voiceblog.jp/girls/

I'm sure if you searched around for some other podcasts you're bound to stumble upon some other kansai-ben ones. I'll do a bit more looking here as well for anything else, but I'm thinking the podcasts might be a decent way to go about things.
Last edited by Justin on Thu 02.15.2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 02.16.2007 5:52 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
I do watch some 'Hey Hey Hey!' and can understand about as much of what Hamasaki and Matsumoto are saying as much as the guests on the show (not much at all >.<). They're from the Kansai area (I think...)

Yes they are. By the way it's Hamada. Those two are the comedic faces of Kansai some may argue Japan.

Any other shows people know about? Or some kind of website where I can hear the Kansai accent?

Hey Hey Hey, Bari Bari Value, Ninety Nine show, any old Downtown footage (Macchan and Hamada) along with any Sanma shows use Kansai ben heavily. I did a rudimentary search for you but didn't find any long useful clips to steer you towards pardon me.

PS - I say dreaded only because of the dialect; I love the Kansai area as much as the rest of Japan ^_^

Apart from そうなんや、そや、せやな、ほんまに、 etc 9 times from 10 you won't be spoken to completely in Kansaiben, unless you use it first.
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby carlanox » Fri 02.16.2007 11:15 am

too bad they dont use so many kansaiben...But thanks for the link!!! Really good for practice listening...
carlanox

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 02.16.2007 5:18 pm

Justin wrote:
One off the top of my head that's got some kansai-ben in it would be...

Wow, they are really hard to understand, I'm going to have to listen to this a few more times... thanks for the link!!

Kagemaru wrote:
Yes they are. By the way it's Hamada. Those two are the comedic faces of Kansai some may argue Japan.

Oh, yeah, it is Hamada. Sorry >.<
Kagemaru wrote:

Hey Hey Hey, Bari Bari Value, Ninety Nine show, any old Downtown footage (Macchan and Hamada) along with any Sanma shows use Kansai ben heavily. I did a rudimentary search for you but didn't find any long useful clips to steer you towards pardon me.

Thanks for this!! I'll look it up tonight!
Kagemaru wrote:

Apart from そうなんや、そや、せやな、ほんまに、 etc 9 times from 10 you won't be spoken to completely in Kansaiben, unless you use it first.

I think I've heard some of those. I doubt they are really expected me to know too much Japanese in general, let alone Kansaiben, so I think I'll be alright, I just want to be a bit prepared.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 02.26.2007 6:50 am

prep_girl_Nessa wrote:
Justin wrote:
One off the top of my head that's got some kansai-ben in it would be...

Wow, they are really hard to understand, I'm going to have to listen to this a few more times... thanks for the link!!

That's actually some pretty light Kansai-ben. I have the feeling your 聞き取り skills just aren't quite up to speed. In which case, it doesn't really matter where you go at first, you'll have trouble picking up what people are saying. But the good news is that it's just a matter of time, once you're over here. :)

Oh, and keep watching Hey x 3. Downtown are always speaking in Kansai-ben, to everyone. When you get to Japan most people will speak 標準語 to you. You'll probably end up learning most of your Kansai-ben from TV...
Last edited by Shirasagi on Mon 02.26.2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Return to Japanese Movies and Music