Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Girls and Gaijins

Girls and Gaijins

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Girls and Gaijins

Postby Styledatol » Fri 02.16.2007 9:25 pm

lol racist. So Canadian of you my friend.
Styledatol

Postby tanuki » Fri 02.16.2007 9:34 pm

Racism? Give me a break!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby datdo » Fri 02.16.2007 11:45 pm

I'm black...
datdo

Postby lemonaid » Sat 02.17.2007 1:21 am

guarana wrote:
Anyways, the entire race preference thing seems racist to me. When men do it or women do it. I wouldn't want anything to do with a Japanese girl that was boning me for any reasons other than my irresistable wit and charm.

I agree.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby tanuki » Sat 02.17.2007 11:02 am

Argh, how can you call personal preference racism? To me, that seems like a misusage of the word.

When you like a particular "race", you don't believe that that race is inherently superior to others, do you? You just like the looks, you don't expect them to be smarter, or faster, or stronger.

At least that's in my case. I wouldn't want anyone calling me "racist" for preferring the looks of a certain race. Looks are something too superficial, too trifling.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby lemonaid » Sat 02.17.2007 2:57 pm

tanuki wrote:
Argh, how can you call personal preference racism? To me, that seems like a misusage of the word.

When you like a particular "race", you don't believe that that race is inherently superior to others, do you? You just like the looks, you don't expect them to be smarter, or faster, or stronger.

At least that's in my case. I wouldn't want anyone calling me "racist" for preferring the looks of a certain race. Looks are something too superficial, too trifling.

I don't understand how you can call it personal preference when it's clearly discrimination based on race, no matter how "trifling" it might seem.

This is purely based on my own observations so it might be wrong, but the individuals I've been unfortunate enough to meet who held such preferences also held a certain view of asian women that I think almost everyone would find disgusting and discriminatory. I believe that the "preference" is not purely superficial, but accompanied by a view based on steretypes of asian women as different from or better than western women.

This article sums it pretty good I think. It's not a scientific report, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0646,c ... 988,2.html

Here's another one:

http://asiancemagazine.com/sex-health/2 ... wfever.php

These magazine articles might be inaccurate, biased and sensational, but it's clearly an issue for many otherwise it wouldn't be debated so much.
Last edited by lemonaid on Sat 02.17.2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby Xaith » Sat 02.17.2007 4:04 pm

Liking the appearance of Japanese women isn't racist...
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 02.17.2007 4:22 pm

lemonaid wrote:
I don't understand how you can call it personal preference when it's clearly discrimination based on race, no matter how "trifling" it might seem.

So one has to be bisexual because
being hetero- or homosexual would
be discrimination againts the same sex
or the opposite sex?
Last edited by hyperconjugated on Sat 02.17.2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby tanuki » Sat 02.17.2007 5:03 pm

Lemonaid, I believe that what goes beyond personal preferences on looks can be racial discrimination and prejudice. That's why I was merely talking about looks, nothing more.

I believe that liking a certain group of people because they have the stereotype of being, for example, "slutty" is obviously prejudiced. Just like not liking people stereotyped of being "criminal".

For example, a stereotype here is that Brazilians are slutty and Peruvians are criminals. Keeping away from every Peruvian I see and seeking company of Brazilians instead would be prejudiced.

However, if I see a person of race X, nationality Y walking down the street and think "OMG they're so HAWT" and then I see another person of the same race X, nationality Y on a disco and think "Jeez, that's some ugly guy/gal", what does that say? I have a tendency to like race X, nationality Y, but it's not a prejudice. It's impossible for it to be a prejudice, because you can see the person.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but the truth is that in these cases it's my little head that thinks, so I don't find the necessity to complicate matters.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.19.2007 12:00 pm

lemonaid, your definition of racist is typical of the uninformed and ignorant. go do some research and come back when you are clearly more informed.

so, because I like brunettes am i racist towards blondes? wtf.. my wife is greek, so then am i racist towards all others because I prefer her? doyou see how your way of thinking is just a bit skewed? if not, think about it for a long time and come back when you figure it out.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Kdar » Mon 02.19.2007 12:56 pm

I don't care if some people think I am racist or not. To me, I am not. And to me, my opinions are not of racist nature.
And I will not deform my view and preference because of this silly idea, which I can see some people just taking it too far.

I can have many friends from any kind of race or culture. And I do.
But girlfriend, wife...is a different thing. It much deeper then some friendship or what not.

And yea. sure, I think like Asian women more (I find them more attractive) , I also love their culture , I like the way they think, the way they behave, and their mentality in general......

And that is just my choice.

----

And even this is not racism..

If you are only plan/think to find person of same race/culture like you are....
Well, I would may consider it a bit old fashion and not open minded... BUT
(BUT still, even this is not racism.. each person have it culture... and if he/she want to keep and preserve the same culture in it's family.. sure it their choice)
Last edited by Kdar on Mon 02.19.2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby keatonatron » Mon 02.19.2007 1:22 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
lemonaid, your definition of racist is typical of the uninformed and ignorant. go do some research and come back when you are clearly more informed.

Woah, no need to start flinging insults.

I think Lemonaid had a really good point, s/he just didn't explain fully. Racism simply means assuming something about someone or treating someone a certain way based only on race. If you showed more attention (favoritism) to brunettes simply because you're more attracted to them, that would indeed be racism.

Some people (including many on this site :D) are very interested in Japanese people and will treat a Japanese person as if they are cool/pretty/smart, even if they aren't any cooler/prettier/smarter than a non-Japanese.

I must admit, I have fallen prey to this type of thing in the past. After being in Japan for a year and a half, I returned to the states to continue college. I was really into learning Japanese and I missed Japan, and I ended up showing lots of interest in the Japanese exchange students at my school, simply because they're Japanese. I'd say 50% of my friends were Japanese, not because we naturally fit together, but because I actively sought them out, trying to "Japanify" my surroundings a bit more.

I'm quite ashamed of how I acted, but there is something to learn from it.
keatonatron

Postby Kdar » Mon 02.19.2007 1:52 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this.........

you missed Japan... So you found Japanese environment in the US.

I mean...... Why did you moved and lived in Japan in the first place.......
Last edited by Kdar on Mon 02.19.2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kdar

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.19.2007 1:57 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

Woah, no need to start flinging insults..

that was not an insult. It was a clearly defined definition. Now if I called them a stupid ignorant hick who was fed on the slime of pig offall, now that would be an insult.

Just because the word ignorant shows up in there does not make it an insult.

Seriously, if someone puts forth a bad idea about something, someone needs to say something. I did. that is all..
two_heads_talking

Postby tanuki » Mon 02.19.2007 2:27 pm

In my very humble opinion, which might very well be wrong, racism has to do with prejudice. I don't see any prejudice in "showing more attention to brunettes simply because you're more attracted to them". It would be prejudiced to like brunettes because you think they're good in...erm...the kitchen; yeah, that works. You assume every brunette you see can...cook...well.

Or not liking blondes because you think they're stupid. You don't even bother talking to them because they are just SO stupid in your book.
Last edited by tanuki on Mon 02.19.2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan