Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Different Uses of Hiragana

Different Uses of Hiragana

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Different Uses of Hiragana

Postby karis » Mon 08.08.2005 3:33 pm

Hi there.

I'm just learning Hiragana, and I'm VERY confused that this website and my book has very different kana for Su.

There are others, but I wanted to know: why is this the case?

I know the FAQ mentions it, but which is correct and how do I learn words, if the Kana are different.

It's all very puzzling

Thanks in advance

Karis
karis

RE: Different Uses of Hiragana

Postby Gaijinian » Mon 08.08.2005 6:07 pm

Hiragana: (eg あ い う え お) is for Japanese words. Sushi is すし.

Katakana: (eg ア イ ウ エ オ) is for gairaigo, which are foreign words. America is アメリカ

Let's just leave it at that.
The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.
---
yawr.org
Gaijinian

Postby mandolin » Mon 08.08.2005 11:13 pm

Well, Gaijinian is thinking the same thing I am, I believe. You may be looking at the hiragana vs the katakana for 'su'?

す and  ス ?

If those are the two, then your answer is as simple as Gaijinian posted. If it's something else totally bizarre, I have no idea what your book has for 'su'. It'd help if you could provide an image, or at least a description of what yours looks like.

The only hiragana form of 'su' that I know of or have ever seen is す.
mandolin

Postby karis » Tue 08.09.2005 5:47 am

Oops. It's actually SA (not SU), and it's definitely different in my book to the one on this site.

I've since read that there are different forms of hiragana depending on style...

Can anyone clarify? I'm going to use the one listed here rather than in the book from which I am learning. It seems much easier.

Maybe the book's wrong.

Karis
karis

Postby yankumi » Tue 08.09.2005 9:55 am

I have noticed differences in sa--the curved part at the bottom is shown as a separate stroke in some of my books, rather than a continuous one like さ I have also noticed this with ri and chi. According to some of the other members here, these are just differences in font styles. It is confusing when you are first learning, but after a while you will be able to recognize both as being the same character
yankumi

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 08.09.2005 10:36 am

DonnaP wrote:
I have noticed differences in sa--the curved part at the bottom is shown as a separate stroke in some of my books, rather than a continuous one like さ I have also noticed this with ri and chi. According to some of the other members here, these are just differences in font styles. It is confusing when you are first learning, but after a while you will be able to recognize both as being the same character

On computers, the bottom stroke in さ is connected to the vertical stroke, when handwritten it is not.
Schattenjedi

Postby yankumi » Tue 08.09.2005 11:28 am

ah, thank you. That would explain why the book I have on writing Hiragana shows the strokes as separate.
yankumi

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems